Skip to main content
Topic: Vision Impaired! Need Help! (Read 1295 times) previous topic - next topic

Vision Impaired! Need Help!

Ok guys, I've tried everything I could think of to solve this problem, so I now turn to all of you for help. I have a large crack in my windshield. It spans pretty much the entire length of the piece of glass. It is approx. 5 inches from the bottom of the windshield. When I am driving in certain directions, little tiny sunglare spots appear on various areas of the crack. At first they were annoying, but now they are driving me insane. I feel like I'm being blinded slowly everytime I go driving now. Again, it's not one big reflection, but rather tiny, pinpoint spots of intense sunglare. 5 or 6 spots at a time. Now, I've been rinkying it the past few months by sticking the Car Booklets in the dash and using them as a sort of cover. I tired using a Tint Cling, but the sun spots penatrated it like it wasn't even there. IS there something I can try that I haven't already? Does anyone know of some paste or something I can use?

I tried electrical tape and it fell off.....
<---One must always remember to Remain cool, calm and collected when dealing with your fellow man, especially on the Internet....
-DMC24guy
[/SIZE]

Reply #1
um. a new window?

Reply #2
:stupid: you cant take it with you, spend some of that money for your and others safety
1980 birds X 3, 1982 bird, 1984 XR7, 1988 TC

Reply #3
A lot of insurance companies (here, at least) will pay for you to have your window replaced because it is considered to be inherent to the safe operation of the vehicle.  You may want to call your insurance company and ask them about it.
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0

Reply #4
 man, replace the windshield! It's like $150!

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

Reply #5
I didn't ask for criticism, I asked for solutions! I tried insurance. There was some "Ownership Fault Clause" () which said that because I purchased the vehicle with the crack already present, I acknowledged that I accepted the damage, and therefore it cannot be replaced. I need some meatball surgery techniques folks, not a safety lecture!
<---One must always remember to Remain cool, calm and collected when dealing with your fellow man, especially on the Internet....
-DMC24guy
[/SIZE]

Reply #6
The solution is to replace the window.......otherwise deal with it.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

Reply #7
So I take it you can pass inspection in AZ with a cracked windshield?

I know I sure can't here, my windshield had a small crack in it last summer on the passenger side that didn't interfere with my vision at all, but I had to replace the windshield to pass inspection. I didn't really have the funds but I ponied up $150 to replace the windshield anyway.

Anyway I highly doubt there's anything you can put on it that will change anything, unless you put a sticker over it.

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

Reply #8
What's inspection..? :p

(don't need one here in FL) :p

Reply #9
I'm going to have to say that you probably have to just have it replaced then.  If it was a BB crater in the windshield, I've seen repair kits for those and used one that actually worked pretty well using some kind of epoxy resin.  But for a crack?  I'm not sure there is anything you can do to fix it or keep it from refracting the light.  You are just going to have to pony up with some cash to have a new one put in I'm afraid.
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0

Reply #10
its a waste. you will just throw money down and still have a crack. I got mine installed at my house for $100 and some change. Pony up for the window or deal with it.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #11
replace the window, because it is about safety and, in your case convienence too.

Reply #12
Do you take a screwdriver and bend the steel tabs out of the way when the brakes start to squeal too?
1980 birds X 3, 1982 bird, 1984 XR7, 1988 TC

Reply #13
No, I break the tabs off before I put them on.....
-DMC24guy
[/SIZE]