Skip to main content
Topic: Parting out a car? (Read 1918 times) previous topic - next topic

Parting out a car?

There is a trashed TC that has been for sale locally for a while.  I was thinking of seeing how cheap I could get it to use as a parts car.  I'd use the rear end and other random pieces then part it out.  But once it has been stipped down, how do I get rid of it? :dunno:  There won't be any wheels or even an axle to roll or tow it away.  It has to be kept in the back yard as well (neighbors won't appreciate a pile of parts in the front).  So it will be a little less accessible, but not too bad.  Anyone have any advice from their experience?
Foxless :(

Parting out a car?

Reply #1
When my 87 TC got totalled I kept it and stripped the complete front and rear suspensions from it. I found a wrecking yard that would come and pick it up as long as the engine and transmission were still in the car. They brought out a flatbed truck with a winch and drug it up onto the truck.

I'd call around local wrecking yards and see what condition they require the car to be in to pick up. Alot of them wont want to bother with a car that old but you wont know till you start makin some calls.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
86 5.0 Turbocoupe (Katrina), 87 5.0 Sport (Rita)

Parting out a car?

Reply #2
I call the local metal recyclers when I have a sed car to go. It costs me $25 and all they require is that the tires be removed. (Local recycling policy requires all car tires go to a different recycler)

They have a boom truck that they use to haul the cars away.

Parting out a car?

Reply #3
Thanks for the advice.  I'll give the local yard a ring to see what they say.

Parting out a car?

Reply #4
Call up the steel recyclers, out here if you can gather up 15+ vehicles they'll bring out a mobile crusher (been there, done that) or just get a flatbed to drag it out.
1980 birds X 3, 1982 bird, 1984 XR7, 1988 TC

Parting out a car?

Reply #5
we have always loaded them on the flatbed trailer and haul them to the steal recycler and get our gas money out of them usualy. we always try to have a couple to go and i doubt you have a trailer or a trackter that can lift it up.

Parting out a car?

Reply #6
usually, I just line 'em up in a (kinda) neat row, make good rabbit hiding spots...
Then again, I got 165 acres to park em on...
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Parting out a car?

Reply #7
Quote from: FordTruckFreeek
Then again, I got 165 acres to park em on...

Wow Im jealous!  We're sitting pretty with 1/3 acre here.  The local yard should be able to haul it away so hopefully I can get it.  It's been for sale for at least a month.  Hopefully it will still be around for a little bit longer so I can get it once the semester is over.

Parting out a car?

Reply #8
Yeah, bad thing is, the collection of cars I have is starting to become more Ford vehicles now...most recent additions being the 94 Taurus, and the TC I bought about a month ago...
Hey, btw are the fenders and good, and are you gonna use em?
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Parting out a car?

Reply #9
Well its still just hypothetical about getting it right now.  But if I do get it, you can have dibs on the fenders if they're in good enough shape.

Parting out a car?

Reply #10
THUNDERGROWL- i like your wheels on your birdy, i like them better than my factory ones, its the ones with teh holes. =:/
1988- 3.8- T-bird- sold 2005 Grand Prix, GTP- COMP.G MODS: Inferno Hood, GXP spoiler, Liquid Metal Wheels,K&N Intake,LED taillights,LED reverse lights, LED interior lights, 180*,605s, Pacesetters :burnout:

Parting out a car?

Reply #11
I need to strip this '88 Mark soon, and I was thinking about just cutting up what's left after removing everything that can be removed, throwing the pieces in the back of the truck, and hauling the pieces off to the s metal place on the other side of town. Anyone see any potential issues with that?

I'm wondering about things like what to do with the title, too. Nothing? Salvage title?

Parting out a car?

Reply #12
Keep it and the vin tags:D

No what I would do is find someone with a trailer and throw the cut up car on it and haul it down and give them the title and pile of metal. I'm in the process of doing the same thing but with an 86 Mark.

Parting out a car?

Reply #13
Every car I parted out has gone to the steel recyclers, they didnt need a title so I have 3 or 4 vehicles in my name that no longer exist, no problems so far!

You could just cut it up and leave a piece of it by the curb every trash day like this guy was planning, not sure if he actually did or not
1980 birds X 3, 1982 bird, 1984 XR7, 1988 TC

Parting out a car?

Reply #14
Even when my '84 was burned to the ground with nothing but a shell left and no rear axle, the local junkyard came and picked it up.  I'm guessing it went directly to the crusher.