Skip to main content
Topic: cam timing help (Read 722 times) previous topic - next topic

cam timing help

hey guys whats going i needed to ask a question about cam timing i was messing around with my desk top dyno and i found that if retard my timing 4 degrees i will pick up 10 ponies what is involved in this and is it worth it thanks
:flip:I GOT MORE POWER NOW:flip:
:mad:..BUT I NEED EVEN MORE..:mad:

cam timing help

Reply #1
You have to get an adjustable timing chain...whatever they cost, I have no idea.

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

cam timing help

Reply #2
Quote from: Sprayingsmooth
hey guys whats going i needed to ask a question about cam timing i was messing around with my desk top dyno and i found that if retard my timing 4 degrees i will pick up 10 ponies what is involved in this and is it worth it thanks

also note the power curve changes when you advance/retard cam timing.

All you need is a adjustable timing chain. they sell 3 way and 9 way adjustable units.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

cam timing help

Reply #3
Retarding it gives you more high end power while advancing it gives you more grunt down low.  Most performance cams actually have a little advance built in even when you install them straight up.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!