Skip to main content
Topic: Junkyard A/C parts...? (Read 1718 times) previous topic - next topic

Junkyard A/C parts...?

So I need to get a Condenser, Reciever/Drier and all plumbing for my 5.0 swapped 88 TC.  I may have most of the parts lying around from parted out Fox Mustangs, but if not, is it ok to use junkyard parts?  I mean, of course I'd need to make sure they don't have leaks....but would there be other issues?  I just can't see paying $150 for a new condenser and what not, when the parts are all over!
1988 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
'89 5.0 w/ ported intakes, Mallory Adjustable FPR, BBK shorties and H with 2.5" Flows, 130 amp 3G, 89 Mustang comp/wiring, Aluminum radiator w/ elec fan, T5 trans, King Cobra clutch, 3.55 gears, 13" Cobra brakes (front), Wilwood prop valve, Mustang A-arms, Front Coil-overs, MM CC plates, Silver 17x9 R's, 03 Cobra IRS, Aluminum DS, 2002 Mustang dash/console etc..., custom leather seats

Junkyard A/C parts...?

Reply #1
Never buy a JY acspoogeulator/drier, the desiccant will be used up. Buying a liquid line (with the orifice tube inside) isn't a real good idea because it could be clogged. The high-side line is normally ok unless there is a ler on it (lers can contain contaminants that cannot be flushed out). Tube/fin condensers are ok, but parallel flow condensers are not (they are almost impossible to properly flush). All Foxes have tube/fin condensers.

Junkyard A/C parts...?

Reply #2
i have what i think is a good A/C condensor and a couple good lines from when i removed my A/C from my car, it at least looks like its in good condition, it was just left in my car when i baught it even though it didnt have the other half of lines or A/C pump, if you want to make me an offer and pay for shipping id be more than happy to get rid of it.

Junkyard A/C parts...?

Reply #3
Buy new parts.  There are too many potential problems you can have with used AC parts and some of those parts are reeeallly undesireable to change more than once.

It's worth the money to get parts you know are good.
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0

Junkyard A/C parts...?

Reply #4
Ok, I guess I'll go new with most of the parts.  I have a good compressor and I think I can find a good condenser.

What else do I all need and where can I get the parts?  I know I need a drier (new), I have my evap core, then there's the plumbing.  But I don't really understand what's all in there...
'89 5.0 w/ ported intakes, Mallory Adjustable FPR, BBK shorties and H with 2.5" Flows, 130 amp 3G, 89 Mustang comp/wiring, Aluminum radiator w/ elec fan, T5 trans, King Cobra clutch, 3.55 gears, 13" Cobra brakes (front), Wilwood prop valve, Mustang A-arms, Front Coil-overs, MM CC plates, Silver 17x9 R's, 03 Cobra IRS, Aluminum DS, 2002 Mustang dash/console etc..., custom leather seats

Junkyard A/C parts...?

Reply #6
Ok, so i figured out where I'm gonna get my condenser and drier.  But where can I get the lines I need?  Also, can someone tell me what the specific lines run between and what they are called?  thanks!

Junkyard A/C parts...?

Reply #7
Anyone?!?  I'm still having some problems finding replacement lines.  I found them on autozone.com but the links for the suction, discharge and liquid lines lead to the same part...  Where can I find all three?!?

Junkyard A/C parts...?

Reply #8
partsamerica.com
rockauto.com
ackits.com
acsource.net

Junkyard A/C parts...?

Reply #9
Good luck dude.  My car spent five weeks in the shop while they were searching for the liquid line.  They never found it and had to reuse my old one.  Luckily, it was still good.
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0

Junkyard A/C parts...?

Reply #10
Quote from: jkirchman
My car spent five weeks in the shop while they were searching for the liquid line.  They never found it and had to reuse my old one.

They couldn't find it because they didn't know squat about Fox bodies.

Junkyard A/C parts...?

Reply #11
-even tho the discharge line in obsolete, all three hoses can be had thru your local ford dealer..........
-'87 turbo coupe with only 740 ORIGINAL miles.... :dunce:
-'86 turbo coupe, 5sp. Cali Car.......:cool:

Junkyard A/C parts...?

Reply #12
I have a condenser out of a 93 mustang (the owner removed all his working a/c stuff) I was keeping it in case mine went bad. If you want to work out a deal on it let me know. Or like another poster said you might be better buying new...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Junkyard A/C parts...?

Reply #13
They couldn't find it because they didn't know squat about Fox bodies.

Hard to find a mechanic that does anymore man, at least around here.
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0

Junkyard A/C parts...?

Reply #14
A reputable A/C shop is worth its weight in gold