Skip to main content
Topic: EEC-V cougar to EEC-IV 5.0 HO, can it be done? (Read 2429 times) previous topic - next topic

EEC-V cougar to EEC-IV 5.0 HO, can it be done?

Reply #15
"3.8L V-6 AOD-E/4R70W transmissions have only one less clutch plate than V-8 units. If you are planning to replace the clutches in your transmission, two new pressure plates (less than $20) from the Ford parts department will make it equal to a V-8 AOD-E/4R70W."

Is there any truth in this?

Reply #16
the 94-95 5.0 mustangs use the 54 pin connector dont they?

anyway...the explorers likely have the ecm mounted right in the firewall like my ranger. the harness doesnt go through the firewall. likely, the harness will be way short to mount it in the MN12 location.

depending on where you live and how strict they are you may be ooking at a few other technicalities. first one i can think of is, federally it is illegal to swap an engine into a vehicle wich is newer than it...the engine has to be the same year or newer. second is your 96 is OBDII. you will lose that regressing into an older harness. when your car is up for inspection they wont be able to plug it in. may be an issue for you, may not. i know id be rejected right there on the spot.

so....why not a 4.6?
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #17
Quote from: shame302
first one i can think of is, federally it is illegal to swap an engine into a vehicle wich is newer than it...the engine has to be the same year or newer. second is your 96 is OBDII. you will lose that regressing into an older harness. when your car is up for inspection they wont be able to plug it in. may be an issue for you, may not. i know id be rejected right there on the spot.

so....why not a 4.6?

OK so why not a 4.6, no real reason other then the availability of the 5.0 and aftermarket support, though this market is rapidly growing for the 4.6. Also, I understood I couldn't bolt my 4r70w trans to the 4.6, I'd have to do more parts swapping, where as the 5.0 would just require electrical work, which I understand better.

I live in Texas, didn't know the rules about the older engine newer car laws, is this for real, No going back?
Also, inspections don't require Computer diagnostics here, I don't think.

Trust me though I am seriously considering 4.6 right now!
one last thing
For anyone looking for what I was looking fro, here are the pinouts for the 5.0 computers
http://fordfuelinjection.com/5.0Lpinouts.html

Reply #18
Quote from: shame302
the 94-95 5.0 mustangs use the 54 pin connector dont they?

The diagram posted earlier sure looks like it has 60 pins.

Also, explorers and mountaineers do have the EEC under hood like shame mentioned.

That is a good point, I forgot about the smog puppiess. I live in NJ where that would also be a problem (reverting to an older system). In Texas though, that might not be a problem as some states (especially in the south) do not have emissions. If that's the case, then you could still swap in a 5.0L from a explorer/ mountaineer from 1998 and newer, or you could switch to a 4.6L. Obviously in those cars (MN-12's) working on any type of V8 is a difficult task because it was never meant for a V8. The 5.0L was shoehorned in there, and the 4.6 was that times 5, plus it's more difficult to work around due to the width (exhaust manifolds and headers require K-member removal, intakes require hood fabrication), and of course, mods are expensive. Want to put headers on your mustang cobra (or any fox for that matter witht the 4.6)? No problem, FMS and BBK offers bolt on sets, shorty or full length. Want them for an MN-12? You can only get them from Kooks in Long Island (through SCCoA) or from ART. They cost roughly twice as much as the mustang counterparts, and require the aforementioned headache to install (unless you put them on the motor before it goes into the car, but God help you if those bolts come loose). Want to use the tumble port heads? Not a problem with the fox because there's plenty of hood clearance. In an MN-12 you need a custom hood setup to fit the tumble port head intake. Want to hook up a 5 speed? With a 5.0L you can just get the 3.8L SC car's tranny and parts and hook it right up. With a 4.6, you need a custom lengthened tailhousing and slave cylinder (since the T-45 and T-56 isn't long enough to fit an MN-12).
Duckin' agents like we was trapped in da matrix!

Reply #19
I don't think it's legal to swap any truck engine into a passenger car, even if it is newer... I'm 99.9% Exploders are classified as trucks...

Reply #20
Depends on where you live.  If it is a newer engine AND has lower emissions limits you can in most states.  You would then have to go by the emission guidelines/ limitations of the newer engine.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #21
Here Explorers, Expeditions, and Excursions (even with the 6.0TD) get regular plates and regular registration fees.  When doing inspections, SUV's are classified as Station Wagons.  Kinda messed up concidering Excursions are F250's with a cap and full interior.