Skip to main content
Topic: How the heck to get a broke bolt out (Read 1664 times) previous topic - next topic

How the heck to get a broke bolt out

It happened again, a car job that should take a few hours has turned into a multi hour Man Vs Bolt job.

I've got a lot of work to do on the Cougar, so of course by Murphy's law, my daily driver Merc Sable water pump had to go bad.:mad:

Job went well until tightening the last bolt on the new water pump broke off.  A six hour job now has gone on 12, I removed the timing cover, and there is about an inch of bolt still sticking out of the block. 

Tried:
1) Vice gripping it out, no luck
2) A drill and a screw remover bit, which then broke in the bolt.  I have NEVER had luck with these screw removers
3) Its been soaking in a mix of WD-40 and 3in1 general oil

I'm thinking of 3) dremel cutting flats on the bolt stud and then trying to wrench it.

[SIZE="4"]Before I do any more damage, whats anyone's experience in the way to get a broke bolt out?[/SIZE]

V6->V8HO 88 LS
5.0L V8 87 XR7

Reply #1
Well, it looks like the threads are trashed now.  If you can by some merical get a nut on it, thread it on, weld it to the bolt and then turn it out.  Ive broken water pump bolts before, and thats how I got them out.  If not, heat it up (Keep the flamables away)  spray it with PB Blaster, Seafoam deep creep or another penatrant, and then try to turn it out with the vice grips.  might try that dremel trick first to give you a little flatness to get a grip on.
88 TC, Lots of Mods.

Reply #2
dremel the sides flat, then try the vise grips again. Maybe a really big set of pliers.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #3
sears might have some bolt extracters that will work for that
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #4
If you got a oxy-acetylene torch, use that to heat it up, and try it again with vice grips, usually works....
Or have somebody weld a nut on the end, but you'll want to get that bolt heated up, or it'll just break again.
Sometimes they break off somewhat farther into the hole, that's when it gets really fun, usually involving some serious swearing.
Other than that, I couldn't tell ya, sorry man.

Last time I broke water pump bolts off, was on my f-150 5.0 engine, and I didn't have the torch at the time, so I ended up having the local dealership come get it, and while they had it in the shop, they also changed the timing chain, and put a new pan gasket on for me, since the mechanic boogered up the pan gasket taking the front cover off...
Cost a few bucks, too, about more than the truck was worth.
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #5
I'm thinking of 3) dremel cutting flats on the bolt stud and then trying to wrench it.
i did this just last week on the wifes car...it usually works fine.

i have also  threaded 2 nuts on and cranked them against each other like crush nuts. depens on what type of brake it is...
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #6
If you have a welder just weld a nut on the stud.  It does not have to be strait or pretty, so long as you can get a wrench on it.

If not take the dremel and either:  mill two opposing flat sides, and try the biggest pair of vice grips you have.
or cut a slot in the middle and use a flat head screwdriver bit (the type for a ratchet). 

Failing that you have to cut it off flat and use a reversing drill bit and an EZ out.  (The cheep ones are , snap on or mac is necessary)

If you have to I would try to borrow a welder before attempting to drill that sucker.  Especially on a FWD car where you will likly need a 90* drill.  I would also be very careful using a Oxy/fuel torch under the hood.  Lots of stuff that will melt or burn.

Reply #7
don't forget that when using vise grips, you can usually make it grab tight enough by first screwing the adjuster in to get a tight grip on the busted bolt. then take a pair of channel locks or another pair of vise grips and crank the adjuster even tighter. that has gotten some seemingly impossible ones for me.
TC#1- 2.5T- 10.14@134....9.76@138 with a 50shot
TC#2- Turbo BBF project
TC#3- parts car

Reply #8
If you can, follow the welding method. I ruined a bolt in a door in the cougar, and i have tried everything, but i welded a bolt at the end...was a piece of cake...
1985 Mercury Cougar V6
1989 F-200 V8
1996 Explorer V6
2001 F-150

Reply #9
If all else fails,  cut it flush,  drill it out and tap some new threads.

Reply #10
Hand held propane/map gas torch will be your friend. heat the base were it goes into the block till cherry red. Take your vise grips and twist it out. works 99.9% of the time.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

Reply #11
This board is awsome!  Thanks alot all!!!!!  :bowdown:  :bowdown:  :bowdown:

I don't have a welder, so that limits what sounds like the easiest option. 

So I tried the propane torch.  I had a bucket of water and a fire extinguisher ready, as with my luck :bricks1: I envisioned the whole car catching fire, followed shortly therafter by my house.

I propane torched it for a long time, sprayed it, and then repeated this 3 times before I tried vice gripping it out again. 

I can't tell you how happy I was to see that B@stard starting to turn out!  So that heat definitely loosened it.:giggle:  The thought of it turning to the re drill & tap the block condition Dare said scared the heck out of me, as it sounds so hard to drill it out & re-tap.  Fortunately I live another day to not have to try that!

Thanks!

V6->V8HO 88 LS
5.0L V8 87 XR7

Reply #12
glad to hear ya got it :D
amazing what heat'll do to rusted/sheared off bolts, etc
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #13
Quote from: bondocougar

I can't tell you how happy I was to see that B@stard starting to turn out!  So that heat definitely loosened it.:giggle:

Right on, man. There's no better feeling than to see something finally work out in your favor. Glad you got it taken care of.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #14
Quote from: bondocougar
This board is awsome!  Thanks alot all!!!!!  :bowdown:  :bowdown:  :bowdown:

I don't have a welder, so that limits what sounds like the easiest option. 

So I tried the propane torch.  I had a bucket of water and a fire extinguisher ready, as with my luck :bricks1: I envisioned the whole car catching fire, followed shortly therafter by my house.

I propane torched it for a long time, sprayed it, and then repeated this 3 times before I tried vice gripping it out again. 

I can't tell you how happy I was to see that B@stard starting to turn out!  So that heat definitely loosened it.:giggle:  The thought of it turning to the re drill & tap the block condition Dare said scared the heck out of me, as it sounds so hard to drill it out & re-tap.  Fortunately I live another day to not have to try that!

Thanks!

Gld you got it out:D

They dont calla torch a heat wrench for nothing:flame: :flame:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication