Skip to main content
Topic: 88' Cougar XR-7 (Read 1087 times) previous topic - next topic

88' Cougar XR-7

I was just wondering how good of gas mileage these cars got stock.  I'm looking at buying one.  Also, what would be the best thing to do for replacing one of these engines.  The berings in the motor are bad.  I'm a senior in high school, so it has to be cheep.  Less than $500

88' Cougar XR-7

Reply #1
Mine got 24 MPG on the road. About 18 or so in town.  When stock

SCT Tuned by Me(Greg@SpeedyDyno.com)

E.T. 10.28 @ 136.5 MPH 1/4 mile: List of Mods; 351 EFI, AFR heads,AOD,Rousch 13in frt brakes,11in rear brakes, AirRide Tech air ride system, Sub frame connetors,2400 RPM stall, 3.50,BBK shorties,T62PT Turbos  air to air intercooled, Home built kit.
Car weights 3705lbs without driver:burnout:

88' Cougar XR-7

Reply #2
I got 22 on the highway in mine with the original motor. 18-19 driving around town. Its weird, I gained a couple mpgs on the highway after putting the HO in. My around town mpgs though dropped to 17.

The best thing for replacing the engine depends on what you are looking for.
If you want more power with it, you can get an HO motor but if you're fine with the original you can do that too. I'm sure you can get a replacement long block for less than 500. Cost of installation is what will hurt. If you do it yourself or you have friends that can do it, you're golden. If you have to find and pay a shop to do it, it'll probably be around $1000 just for installation.

88' Cougar XR-7

Reply #3
i got and 88 xr7 two weeks ago and i wanna put a cold air intake on it. i heard i can use 1 from a mustang. i jus wanted to make sure it'll work