Skip to main content
Topic: Good brand of discs to burn... (Read 2175 times) previous topic - next topic

Good brand of discs to burn...

Some old cd players cant play homemade cds. Others can play certain brands. Dad wants some music in his exploder and the changer wont play burned cd´s sometimes. This is not really a changer problem (since  it can play "original" discs fine) I noticed that sony discs often can be played, but i want to know which other brands are good to this type of problem. Also, i want to know some burning tips...
1985 Mercury Cougar V6
1989 F-200 V8
1996 Explorer V6
2001 F-150

Reply #1
Its actually not a disc problem but, it is in the changer. Try some memorex standard CD-R's make sure they arent colored. alot of the older equipment cannot read a CD-RW disc and also have problems with colors. Hope this helps. Also the discs that are labeled music could be the issue some older players look for the size of the disc, you will notice a music is 78min instead of the standard 80, or at least they were on the older ones. I havent really look recently due to the fact I order all mine from a supplier and always get the same thing. Same goes with DVD's some will play +R's and not -R's and visa versa. Wish they could get it right the first time. To many rules to just burn a music CD.

As far as tips try to get a copy of Ahead's Nero burning software. Its very easy to use and very reliable with minimals burn errors. Never run any other applications while your burning unless you confident that you PC can handle the buffers, You WILL get errors if it cannot.

One other thing I just thought about,  What format is the music in if it's CDA you ok but if it is MP3 older stuff cant play that.  Most has been weeded out in the last few years but they are still out there.

Reply #2
Is this a myth?  I heard that "music" cd-r's are less pr0ne to scratching, or atleast fuggin up when scratched.

Reply #3
I used to have this problem with my old (manufactured 1994) Kenwood CD changer. The only brand of discs that would read reliably were Verbatim (blue face). The deck in the car now will read just about anything, including MP3 discs
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #4
Scratch is a myth........the actual layer of usable material is in the middle look like aluminum foil, the scratches refracts the beam to cause a skip. There is no way to prevent acrylic they are using from being scratched and keep the prices afforable for the pirating public:D

Reply #5
Quote from: t-bird85
Scratch is a myth........the actual layer of usable material is in the middle look like aluminum foil, the scratches refracts the beam to cause a skip. There is no way to prevent acrylic they are using from being scratched and keep the prices afforable for the pirating public:D

Actually the "usable" layer is at the top. If you don't believe me, just write on one with a ball point pen and see what happens to your data :evilgrin: I actually found this out the hard way when I decided to peel the label off my old copy of Carmageddon. The label came off, but alas, so did the data. I was left with a very shiny label and a very clear plastic disc...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #6
I use Sony discs, but I have a Sony Xplod, and have never had one not play yet, that I burned properly.
Another thing to think about is making sure you get the session closed, or finalized, if you use cd-rw, as this won't let the music be played on much besides a computer.
I used to use Nero, it's pretty good, I also use Adaptec/Roxio, but here lately have been using Windows Media player to burn with, and havn't had ANY problems, but it's kinda confusing to make a playlist, then add tracks to it, then burn....
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #7
cd's just like dvd's have multiple formats (- and +). most are dual format and can handle anything though. I say the biggest thing to look at is to make sure you are burning "music" cd's with your burner and to use Nero Burning ROM. then just see which brands do or don't work with that player and avoid them. you also might have a problem with weight of the disk, some "real" cd's are pretty light while a RW cd will be heavier, this may cause the cd player to not like the disk as it was, I used to have a cd player that for some "real" cd's i had to have two disks in there cause they were to light for it to spin it properly.