Skip to main content
Topic: Jumpy 88 (Read 1602 times) previous topic - next topic

Jumpy 88

Okay, first off I want to say thank God for this forum.  I've read a few threads here and there so far and I'm impressed with what I'm reading.  I just bought a 88 5.0 from my stepfather and I'm in some hot water already.  While driving, the car will literally shift weight and it feels like i'm in a boat.  you can press on the car in the front and the back will move freely.  I could use some advice on what to fix rather than spend $30 on an estimate and more for the work that I can do myself.  I'm not very knowledgable on this so please help in any way you can. 

-Aaron

Jumpy 88

Reply #1
It could be any number of things..

When you say it will "move freely" what do you mean?
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

Jumpy 88

Reply #2
You have some very bad ball joints and tie rods.
One 88

Jumpy 88

Reply #3
First things first......How many miles are on it?
How long did step-dad own it?
Who had it before him?
How was step-dad with the maitenence and repairs?
Has the car ever been in an accident?
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Jumpy 88

Reply #4
It has 179,000 +.  He bought the car from the dealership, but I'm not sure how he maintained the car.  I've been doing some work on it since I've had it.  Little things like oil and interior work.  It was in one accident, but that was to the front end and it's minor body damage.

As for moving "freely", I mean that when I go over a bump or minor damage in the roads up here it will feel like its throwing me side to side.  It's not as dramatic as it sounds, but it's getting to be very annoying.  The suspension is nowhere stiff as I feel it needs to be.  I'm able to rock the car VERY easily by pressing on the car.  It's bad enough where I can't take it on the highway because of this "free" movement.

Jumpy 88

Reply #5
Shock/Strut mount bushings maybe :dunno:

Do these cars have "body mounts?"  If so, could be that too.

Otherwise, I'm with CougarSE.
"lol.. because not too many people care for that style of car"
[size=-2]Click on paw print \/[/size]

Jumpy 88

Reply #6
It's time to have it checked out, or climb under the car and start checking things out. 

Sounds like you may need struts/shocks, balljoints, tierods and an alignment.

That's about all the help you can really get without us actualy seeing the car and putting our hands on it.

C2go....no body mounts....the whole unibody thing you know ;)

Jumpy 88

Reply #7
Quote from: Chuck W
C2go....no body mounts....the whole unibody thing you know ;)

Yeah, I know our cars are unibody but I work with some guys who are restoring late 60's and early 70's Camaros, Nova and Super Sport or something and they have the whole subframe thing like we do but they have body mounts.  The guy with the Camaro said his crumbled when he jacked the body up.  He installed subframe connectors so he's got the subframe unibody thing like we do.

Anyway, that is why I asked about body mounts.
"lol.. because not too many people care for that style of car"
[size=-2]Click on paw print \/[/size]

Jumpy 88

Reply #8
Right, they have that front subframe that is separate from the rest of the chassis.  Ours are one "solid" unit.

Jumpy 88

Reply #9
I replaced the subframe bushings on the 73 nova.  Talk about a body panel alignment nightmare after that.  It will take forever.

Anyways.  Jack that car up and start wiggeling things.  try and rock the tires top to bottom and side to side.  They should be tight,  oh and do it with the column locked so the wheel doesn't move and make you think there is a major problem. 

Oh and check the air in your tires.  I've had "boats" turn into good handeling cars after airing the almost flat tires back up.
One 88

Jumpy 88

Reply #10
Go to either the front or rear of the vehicle and push down on it good a couple times to get it bouncing, take your hands off it and see if it keeps bouncing, if it bounces more than 2 or 3 times your shocks (rear) and/or struts (front) are worn and need replacing.

To check the front end joints jack up the front and support it under the body with jackstands (or the suspension??? someone will correct me if i'm wrong) lock the wheel so it will not turn as suggested and grab the wheel at the top and bottom and push the top of the tire in while pulling the bottom out and vice-versa if it moves or clunks your balljoint is toast then do the same thing holding the front and back of the wheel, if it moves or clunks your tie rods are worn.

Check the sway bar mounts and endlinks (where it bolts to the lower controll arms) if theyre worn or broken the car will handle like  too.

Tire pressure has already been mentioned.

Also look for broken coils in the springs.
1980 birds X 3, 1982 bird, 1984 XR7, 1988 TC

Jumpy 88

Reply #11
Much respect to all that replied to this thread.  I'll take what y'all have said and run with it.  Thanks guys.