Skip to main content
Topic: Trunk dimensions? (Read 2983 times) previous topic - next topic

Trunk dimensions?

This is a stupid question but I just wanted to know if anyone here knew the trunk height/depth of the 87-88 Cougars? I'm planning on putting something back there and I need about 17" of height! ;)

Trunk dimensions?

Reply #1
Gee, it wouldn't be a sub box, would it?
1987 Thunderbird 3.8. Sold :(

1982 Thunderbird - Goodbye 255, Hello 302!

Trunk dimensions?

Reply #2
! You got me! Yea, I'm thinking of ATTEMPTING a 200w amp and a 15" sub in a ported enclosure. I'm just trying to figure out how big I can go on the enclosure...

Trunk dimensions?

Reply #3
Depends where do you want to put it in the spare tire well or on the shelf in the back.

Trunk dimensions?

Reply #5
For a general idea I have something like this with an amp rack on top of it and have about 3in to spare. I have it in the tire well on mine.

Trunk dimensions?

Reply #6
I think the 15" box is gonna be way too big. I just came across the Audiobahn ATB12AT, 12" 120w RMS, and it includes the amp, wiring kit and the straps for about $200 shipped. Do you think these are any good, or could I do better for $200 using a separate ported box, amp and woofer? I'm trying to keep the amperage low so I don't have to go through the hassle of buying a new alternator.

Trunk dimensions?

Reply #7
As long as you don't have underdrive pullies you should be fine with what ever amp you want.

I have pullies on mine and run a 170w 300w and 500w. The only thing I worry about is getting stuck in traffic then it starts to kill the battery.

I would think you would be safe to run at least 500w amp.

Trunk dimensions?

Reply #8
I only have a 65amp alternator though.. You really think I can get 500w??

Trunk dimensions?

Reply #9
Are you sure its only 65amp I though the smallest was a 75amp.

Trunk dimensions?

Reply #10
Yeah, on Coolcats, my 88 Cougar XR7 is listed as having a 65amp/hr alternator...

Trunk dimensions?

Reply #11
Look at Autozone.com they list a 75 and 80. Anyway you should be fine. I was running a total of 970w off a 75amp alt with a underdrive pully on it. Like I said just don't stop for a long time it will kill the battery.

Trunk dimensions?

Reply #12
Yeah, they don't make 65amp alternators anymore, all replacement ones are 75 and up... The car itself uses 55amp peak (wipers 15, lights 20, electronics 10, etc) Do you think I'll be ok running a 120w amp at 14.4v? My calculations show that it should draw around 8 amps...

Trunk dimensions?

Reply #13
Quote from: mikeinnj
Yeah, they don't make 65amp alternators anymore, all replacement ones are 75 and up...

Yeah, about that, you can still buy a 65amp alternator from napa. I just put on in mine not to long ago.
Temporarily Foxless? Ride the Bull...

Trunk dimensions?

Reply #14

Way too big. I went deaf for about 6 months because of this thing. Shot both of my rear shocks. Added 300 lbs to the cars weight. 100+ dollars in fines for "disturbing the peace"
I'm glad I am over that stage of my life. :)

3.8 cu/ft box. I dont remember the dimensions but it fitted perfectly in the whole and cam 1/4 " away from hitting trunk lid.

I ran a 1200w peak amp 800 rms? And it fried my 65 amp alt, then 75 amp. Got a capacitor and it helped. But then again I had some bad batteries too. All was fixed whenever I decided to just sell the sub.