Skip to main content
Topic: No Lighter? (Read 1439 times) previous topic - next topic

No Lighter?

hey i was wondering if someone could help me out? my thunderbird doesnt have a lighter socket or no harness nothing?

Re: No Lighter?

Reply #1
You sure the wiring isn't way up there underneath the heater controls?

The lighter on my '86 was shot.. and I wanted some place to plug my inverter in.. so I bought a new lighter socket and lighter, made some extensions to the existing wire, and popped it into a hole I made in the ashtray cover. I know it's kinda risky to put a heat source in a plastic mounting.. but I don't smoke, so I never use the lighter for its intended use. Besides, I'll figure out a more permanent mounting sometime later.

If you intend to use a lighter the way it's intended, and you find that wiring, PLEASE do not copy me. I don't know how well that plastic would hold up to repeated lightings. I tried it twice in a row right after installation just to see how warm it would get, and I think the socket got pretty hot.. but I don't remember for sure.

Reply #2
alright thanks for the information. yeah there no harness at all for sure.

Reply #3
I just bought a plug from autozone, where it just powers electrical things like radar detectors, and ran a wire from the battery to it. works like a charm