Skip to main content
Topic: no lights = no good (Read 1059 times) previous topic - next topic

no lights = no good

i cant figure out why my lights wont come on, i replaced the bulbs, not it, i took apart the switch and somehow now the parking lights wont turn off, but the driving lights wont come on still, and now im down to thinking that its the wiring...

now my question, im just wondering if im correct on this, the switch uses the positive from each light to make it turn on correct? considering theres only one black wire coming from the conection, or does it ground out which ever light is to be turned on (u know if the high or low filament is on)

i guess what im trying to figure out is how the lighting works on it, like does the switch ground out the light making it turn on, or connects it to the positive making it turn on?

thanks

no lights = no good

Reply #1
did you check to see if the breaker is working?
1980 birds X 3, 1982 bird, 1984 XR7, 1988 TC

no lights = no good

Reply #2
good question, but when i pull back on the turn signal the brights will come on... or do they run through seperate fuses?

no lights = no good

Reply #3
sounds stupid . but replace the turnsignal switch. with a new one. i did and solved all my head light woes.  i think something hapend internaly and fried the  switch
trick flow street heat intake , 24lbs injetors, ported GT-40's (Chip) long tube headers. and a Performance Automatic C4, with a hurst shifter!

no lights = no good

Reply #4
I had the same problem, and the fuse for the headlights was shot.
It's Gumby's fault.

no lights = no good

Reply #5
Quote from: 88cougarxr7
good question, but when i pull back on the turn signal the brights will come on... or do they run through seperate fuses?

I think theyre fused separatelly but i'm not sure, had the exact same problem in the sprunt with the highbeams only working with the signal lever pulled back but I never bothered fixing it
1980 birds X 3, 1982 bird, 1984 XR7, 1988 TC

no lights = no good

Reply #6
i think something hapend internaly and fried the switch
Yeah, there's a too-small spring loaded metal strip inside that does the high-low switching. A bad connection can heat it up, melting the plastic nearby into a nasty blob, and cause the no-lights symptom.

(And the flash-to-pass function uses different contacts).
Death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth.

1988 5.0 Bird, mostly stock, partly not, now gone to T-Bird heaven.
1990 Volvo 740GL. 114 tire-shredding horsies, baby!

no lights = no good

Reply #7
Thanks MasterBlaster.  I had the same problem on Thursday.

no lights = no good

Reply #8
Thanks for reminding me.
I took all those pictures, and forgot to upload them (other post).
Death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth.

1988 5.0 Bird, mostly stock, partly not, now gone to T-Bird heaven.
1990 Volvo 740GL. 114 tire-shredding horsies, baby!