Skip to main content
Topic: GM leaks Camaro concept sketches (Read 4737 times) previous topic - next topic

GM leaks Camaro concept sketches

Reply #15
Here is your Next gen GTO ULGY looks more like a 04 accord than a GTO to me. Sorry about the py pic, i dont have a scanner and what can you expect from a hundred dollar camera.

Reply #16
Quote from: slamedcat
Yes but the Honda you speak of will last longer than that Mustang GT or any other Domestic built product. As for inflation take a look at what a new chevy truck costs to make and how much it sells for. You are looking at a 200% profit. What do you think they are turning on the new mustnag for profit.

And by all means I don't think it costs $14,000. And probably 1k -2k of that is to pay the guys on the line to put it together. Another 2k for the engineers and all the pencil pushers.

Thats right around $10,000 for profit. Lets just say that inflation has gone up that much that your pinto of the 70's that cost 6K jumped to 10K during the 80's then to 14K in the 00's. Wheres my compensation for inflation.

Now add development costs, advertising costs, marketing reasearch, recalls, incentives, UAW deals, PR stunts.......... you catch my drift? They don't make 200% profit. They barely make a profit at all. That's why the domestic market is in trouble. There are still more GM vehicles being bought all over the world than any other major manufacturer, yet they are in the red.

Toyota lives on perceived quality, meaning people think they are better built than domestic marques because that's the buzz. Is it the truth? Ask J.D. Power and they'll tell you the truth. Most domestics are well above industry average, and directly on par with Honda and Toyota, with regards to # of problems per 100 vehicles sold. In fact, Lincoln, Buick and Caddy are in the top five. Above the two big threats from puppiesan.

p.s.
The LS6 is the 454 found in Chevelles and the like. The LS2 is the new 6.0L in the Vette.

Reply #17
Quote from: 20th anny 5.o
Here is your Next gen GTO ULGY looks more like a 04 accord than a GTO to me. Sorry about the py pic, i dont have a scanner and what can you expect from a hundred dollar camera.

I've seen that sketch. Look again at who penned those. No one from GM. It was an illustrator for that magazine. We still have no idea what the car will look like, since Holden hasn't even started designing it yet. (yup, Pontiac is leaving it in their hands again)

Reply #18
since Holden hasn't even started designing it yet. (yup, Pontiac is leaving it in their hands again)

Word has it that its going to be an american design this time.  But those ausies love there holdens more than anything else.  Holden wont change that car for a couple more years.
One 88

Reply #19
Actually I know the guys from LS1 tech they were leaked the photo's shortly after posting them on the forum the admin received an E-mail to remove them or be prosecuted.

Heres a link to the original thread

http://www.carolinarides.com/forum/...read.php?t=6406

Reply #20
Hmm 2005 GTO...400HP....that's all i gotta say. lol
1988- 3.8- T-bird- sold 2005 Grand Prix, GTP- COMP.G MODS: Inferno Hood, GXP spoiler, Liquid Metal Wheels,K&N Intake,LED taillights,LED reverse lights, LED interior lights, 180*,605s, Pacesetters :burnout:

Reply #21
Quote from: CougarSE
Word has it that its going to be an american design this time.  But those ausies love there holdens more than anything else.  Holden wont change that car for a couple more years.

GM plans all-new Pontiac GTO
Sales of 400-hp coupe take off
July 28, 2005

BY MARK PHELAN
FREE PRESS BUSINESS WRITER

General Motors Corp. will stop building the Australian version of its Pontiac GTO performance coupe later this year, but the U.S. model will remain in production at least through the 2006 model year, and an all-new model is in the works, a Pontiac spokesman said.

After a slow start in 2004, U.S. sales of the 400-horsepower GTO have taken off this year. Pontiac sold 87% more GTOs in the first half of 2005 than for the same period last year.

The car is based on the Australian Monaro coupe, which went into production in 2001. GM's Australian unit, Holden, will drop the Monaro this fall to concentrate on getting a new model of its higher-selling Commodore rear-drive sedan into production. The new Commodore goes into production in mid-2006.

The Monaro and GTO are built in the same plant in Elizabeth, near Melbourne.

The next-generation GTO will come from a new global family of rear-wheel-drive cars, Pontiac spokesman Jim Hopson said.

GM insiders say that car's appearance will be more eye-catching than the somewhat anonymous GTO. The new model is likely to go into production in 2008 and will probably be built in Australia.

Reply #22
Yes I see what you are saying but my point was if the cost of the vehicle went up due to inflation then I should then be able to buy the my vehicle of choice because then my pay would have gone up with it.

But my pay stays the same as everything else goes up in price.
So the entire inflation thing id BS. But what you have said about advert cost and ect. makes more sence except for the fact that the engineering is now done accross the seas at a frastion of the cost as over here which means my job and others will be gone withing the next 20-30 years, plus the engineers are newer guys that arn't making as much, and one engineer can do more now than multiple engineers of yesterday. Belive me I know. I work with a guy that is making all the wire harnesses for the motorgrader cat tractors. Now you can't tell me he is making as much as his counterpart of yesterday. Pobably not considering he drives a mid 80's import and bitches about the same problems I have. No money after bills. Becasue the price of everything is going up and my pay isn't.

Reply #23
Quote from: oldraven
p.s.
The LS6 is the 454 found in Chevelles and the like. The LS2 is the new 6.0L in the Vette.

Actually, the LS6 is in the C5 Z06. The 454 might have been called an LS6 back in the 60's-70's, but GM is known for reusing their codes.

On the topic of inflation, it wouldnt be inflation if costs were rising and pay wasnt rising. Inflation is when costs rise, and pay does not.
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #24
I like some things about the look and dislike some things as well.  Kinda looks like what the Charger might have become if it were a 2 door.  I think the tail lights are somewhat out of place.  Either way it's yet another excuse for me to keep plugging away on overtime to supercharge the Mustang now that the Cougar is set.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #25
Bottom line they need to see not everyone can afforg the cars they build and quite crying when profits are down and everyone is driving a Honda or Toyota.

I'd say they'll build it but make the same mistake of overpricing it.  Hell I was just reading Motor Trend and GM has the new G6 GTP(i think thats is what it is called) priced higher than the Mustang GT.  Granted it has a V8 but its fwd and looks pretty mundane styling wise.  GM and Ford needs to focus on building affordable and classy cars again or everyone is going to be buying Hondas with Chevy emblems on 'em.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #26
Quote from: Thunder Chicken
I dunno about that. The 4.6 is only just starting to come into its own. 300 horses N/A isn't bad for a 3-valve 281 CI engine, and the Cobra's underrated 390 horses ain't too shabby either, supercharged or not. Then there's the underrated 550 horses from the GT's 5.4. And the 450+ horses in the upcoming Shelby GT500. The modular engine family has loads of potential, and that potential is only just starting to be realized. This engine family has come a long, long way from the 190-horse Town Car engine of the early 90's and the 215 horse Mustang engine of the mid 90's.

Just think - in a few years the BASE Mustang will have a 250-horse V6. That is 25 horses more than were available to the beloved 5.0 (and a full 100 horses more than our 5.0 'Birds and Cougars), and only 10 short of the 99-04 GT. The GT now has 300 horses, almost as many as the top-of-the-line Cobra of a few years ago. And the last 390-horse Cobra had power never even heard of before in a stock Mustang. And hopefully in a few years GM and Chrysler will have comparable cars for sale.

Yes, the LS6 makes 400 horses, but the LS6 is also 6.0 liters. Yes, the LS7 makes 500 horses, but that LS7 is also 7.0 liters. GM makes horsepower with old school tech and cubic inches, Ford makes it with technology and supercharging. There is nothing wrong with either approach. The end result is that the horsepower war is far from over, the so-called glory days of muscle cars are only just beginning, and car enthusiasts, regardless of their brand loyalty, have some very compelling choices right now.

I always laugh at the whiners on both sides. Ford guys whine about GM's cubic inch advantage, GM guys whine about Ford's use of superchargers. Nobody seems to notice that both sides (and now Chrysler too) are producing the most exciting cars in 40 years.

As for that Camaro concept - love it. Anything that keeps the Mustang on its toes and the pony car segment relevant in general is a good thing. Who knows - now that the domestics are actually going to be producing interesting cars, maybe they'll get some market share back...

That may be true, however there is an air impracticality to the Ford side. Yes the 4.6 is a very potent motor with great technology. But it has been around for 15 years and you still can't build a sturdy one for less than 12,000.00. The LS1 came out 7 years after the 4.6L SOHC and 5 years after the DOHC. For all intents and purposes it was a brand new motor when it came out (0 parts interchangability with the SBC) and you can get all kinds of heads, cams, intakes, exhausts and SC's (and now even turbo's). There's no question as to which car sold better (z28's were outsold almost 3 to 1) but the chev's still warranted the aftermarket support. There are still close to zero aftermarket parts for the 4.6 only modified stock parts (except for cams, and even those were only available as modified stock parts until the last 2 or 3 years). I mean really, guys are going out and spending 3 to 4 thousand dollars for parts that their cars came with from the factory! Hell, I can go out and spend about 4K on my GTO and have an easy 430hp NA and still have a strong foundation to put a S/C on it. Anyone can get a 4.6L car and put a blower on it, but you'd better make sure you have another couple 4.6's in your garage to replace it with or a small fortune in the bank to build a forged one. Yes it's great that it makes the horsepower that it makes for only having 281 cubes, but I'm not at all thrilled with knowing that 300 hp is "as good as it gets" without being a millionare. Until the blue oval comes out with something new but practical (at least a forged 4.6L that doesn't require a $45,000 car around it), i'll stick with the LS1.
Duckin' agents like we was trapped in da matrix!

Reply #27
hmm. I am curious what Paul is going to say about that. They could get more then 300hp out of it, they just dont want tol
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #28
Quote from: Tbird232ci
Actually, the LS6 is in the C5 Z06. The 454 might have been called an LS6 back in the 60's-70's, but GM is known for reusing their codes.

On the topic of inflation, it wouldnt be inflation if costs were rising and pay wasnt rising. Inflation is when costs rise, and pay does not.

I didn't know they reused the LS6 badge. Still, the C5 Z06 used a 5.7L. The 6.0L is the LS2, the 5.3L is the LS4, and the 7.0L is the LS7.

Also, the G6 (which has no GTP option, just sedan, coupe or vert.) only has a 3.5 or 3.9L V6. The Grand Prix GXP has the LS4.

Reply #29
Quote from: Haystack
hmm. I am curious what Paul is going to say about that. They could get more then 300hp out of it, they just dont want tol

Yes, but how much more? Right now the only available avenue is a SC or N20. Maybe with a conservative tune (super rich and all of the timing pulled out) you could get 400 hp out of it. But with a 4.6L, you're pretty much shortening your bottom end's lifespan by at least 50%.
Duckin' agents like we was trapped in da matrix!