Skip to main content
Topic: differances in "K" members (Read 8322 times) previous topic - next topic

differances in "K" members

Reply #45
I think the part your missing is the Cougar/Bird k member is narrower than any other fox k member.
One 88

Reply #46
Quote from: CougarSE
I think the part your missing is the Cougar/Bird k member is narrower than any other fox k member.

You need to qualify that statement.  That is not true for the 83-85's....
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

Reply #47
So I just need to get the 94-95 k-member along with the 94-95 a-rms then, right?

Reply #48
Sorry to beat a dead horse but if I am going to be running a 99+ front brake system should I still use the 94-95 spindles then?I am going to be running 96-04 tubular a-arms or should I just get the 94-95 a-arms in the tubular k-member kit?
Thanks,
Chris
The k-member I am getting is for a 79-93 Mustang and the a-arms I was going to get for a 96-2004 GT due to the fact I wanted to use the 99+ PBRs.
The arms for 79-93 Mustang are shorter then the 94+, right?
Thanks,
Chris

hope i can un confuse you a little. first off, by looking at your avitar i assumy your bird is an 87-88. so, all assuming that it sounds like you are going too use a fox mustang tubular k memeber. this k will be wider than your stock 86-88 k. if you want too keep the track width in the front close too stock than get arms from or for a fox mustang, tubular or stock. likely, your going coilovers because most of the tube arms out there have no spring purches. i have no idea how that will effect anything. anywhoo....spindles, well stick with the 94/95 spindles because they wont stick out as much as the 96 up spindles, although i previously thought all of the 94 up spindles were the same other than where the brakes mount and balljoint location. reguardless of what spindle you use the brakes, 94 up, 99 up pbr or 13" cobra pbr will work but the 94-95 need a little very minor grinding.

if you use your stock tbird arms or 94 up arms (same length) with a fox mustang k member the wheels are going too stick out likely more than youd want and likely hit the fender. i already know this and im gambaling on how it comes out. ill likely have to go too a fox mustang arm (because they are shorter) and sell my 03 cobra arms :(
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #49
OMG, I am totally confued now, lol.
 Should I just get the 94-95 k-member and use the 79-93 a-arms or should I just get the 79-93 k-member with 79-93 a-arms?Or just tell me what k-member to use and what a-arms to use.I am going to be ordering this like today or tomorrow.
 All of this is going in an 87 TurboCoupe.
 Thanks,
  Chris

Reply #50
order up a tubular k for a fox mustang (79-93) and order up tubuler arms for a fox (79-93) mustang. your track width should stay about the same as it is now.

the only reason i started the thread is i was going too have one made up (tubular) so i can swap the 4.6 in use my new 03 cobra a arms and keep the track width the same. turns out i could buy 3 tubular k members for the cost involved in scratchbuilding one....wich was no suprise. so i ended up ordering one for a fox mustang. im gonna hope and prey that the 17X8 rims will fit under the fender with a little fender lip rolling. MANSON (Nate) recently just did this and had a clearance issue so i wont be supprised (will be dissapointed though) when i have too go with fox mustang arms.

~John~

Reply #51
I have an '88 stang k member, and 88 stang a arms in my 88 Bird.  My camber is now a little off, I have no alignment machine to check though.  I will soon be upgrading to 94-95 stang spindles for the good brakes, and then going to have it aligned at a shop.  Hopefully I will not need caster/camber plates to adjust the settings, as I dotn want to fork out the $200 for those right now.
Matt :tg:

Reply #52
yeah...forgot the CC plates...those are kinda a given but you "may" not need tham i suppose.....

~John~

Reply #53
Quote from: shame302
so i ended up ordering one for a fox mustang. im gonna hope and prey that the 17X8 rims will fit under the fender with a little fender lip rolling. MANSON (Nate) recently just did this and had a clearance issue so i wont be supprised (will be dissapointed though) when i have too go with fox mustang arms.

Not sure why you'd be so disappointed to use the fox Mustang arms. Most fox Mustangs owners use them and get them to handle pretty well with that set up. While having the longer Tbird/SN95 arms slows the arc and a few other benefits, I dont see having to use narrower wheels/tires and fender clearance issues as something I'd wana go thru to make the longer ones work. Not to mention the look of having the wheels almost stuck out of the fenders in the front. Hope ur suspension swap goes well though. Good luck.

Reply #54
actually, mostly id be dissapointed cause i bought the cobra arms forever ago befor i realized there might be a broblem. supposedly they have updated bushings and balljoint. im sure you can still get the fox ones new though. i just hate to re buy parts. plus i dont know how the bushings are in those and theres no way im going all poly in those....

~John~

Reply #55
I assume by "narrower" or "wider" K member, the reference is to the distance between the A arm pivot mounting points?

One point not adequately addressed for my understanding, since I have an '86 TC. The K member for 86-88 is narrower than the 83-85, yet only the 87-88 models had longer A arms. Does the 86 use the same A arms as the previous models? Wouldn't that mean the 86 has a narrower front wheelbase than all other models? Or is some other means used to get the track back to the same width.
Can someone clarify the details for the 86 front end, K member and A arms? And anything else pertinent?
Thanks

Reply #56
I assume by "narrower" or "wider" K member, the reference is to the distance between the A arm pivot mounting points?
yes

The K member for 86-88 is narrower than the 83-85, yet only the 87-88 models had longer A arms
the 86 should have the 87-88 arms

~John~

Reply #57
its partly my fault for not being more clear on that...in alot of cases, whenever talking about tbirds i have a habbit of saying 87-88 when i should have incuded the 86 as well. sorry bout' that.....

~John~

Reply #58
Quote from: Chuck W
The 83-86 Tbirds used the shorter arms....like the Fox Mustangs.

with what Chuck is saying i'm going to assume the 86 is the same width as the 83-85's. the 86 does have the 87-88 style mounts in it. i have to go out and measure. i have an 86 and i have a 89 stang k member in my garage now.
86 thunderbird elan

86 mustang coupe

Reply #59
I thought someone had said 83-86 used the same arms so my question is still on the table. Certainly if the 86,87,88 are the same arms then the quandry is solved.