Skip to main content
Topic: hello, how are you... oh BTW, I HATE TINT!!!! (Read 1881 times) previous topic - next topic

hello, how are you... oh BTW, I HATE TINT!!!!

Especially bubbly purple tint on the rear glass!!!! Now being the do-it-yourselfer that i am, i decided to tackle this last sunday afternoon. Passenger side window was a bit tough, come off in two layers but it came off. Driver's side was awesome, one whole sheet! Rear glass.... as of today i have most of the first layer off... the rest is still on there!!!! So I go online for some tips and oh lookie, I screwed up already. Great. I didn't know it was supposed to come off in one clean sheet. =/

So now I'm contemplating destroying my rear defrost in exchange for being able to see out of my rear glass at all. Personally I think it's worth it as the tint is VERY bubbly and I can't make out a single car in my rear view. So my question is: Is there any thing I can use, besides my trusty blade and a bottle of Windex, to speed this process up?
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver

Reply #1
Heat?
I know it works for stickers and decals but I never tried it on tint.
So get out there with a hair dryer and have at it. :hick:

Reply #2
Aye aye Sir. :D

Reply #3
new rear window... and a hammer

Reply #4
lacquer thinner and a rag wipe it off :)  wont hurt the glass
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

Reply #5
Quote from: Manson
new rear window... and a hammer

lol... i actually thought about that.

Reply #6
Quote from: 5.0willgo
Heat?
I know it works for stickers and decals but I never tried it on tint.
So get out there with a hair dryer and have at it. :hick:

Haha, or just come live here in AZ :flame: .  I am honestly amazed at how well tint holds up here.  So unless they just use some heat resistant tint adhesive here in hell on earth, I'm pretty sure heat isn't going to help you out much.  I could also be totally wrong.  Regardless, good luck.

Reply #7
yeah, theres nothing worse than a sh@ty tint job. its gonna be tough to get it up without ruining the defroster now. id drop the hammer on it....
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #8
You can use Goo Gone to remove the residue left by the tint.  That won't harm your defrost grid and it smells like oranges. :-)
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0

Reply #9
Quote from: jkirchman
You can use Goo Gone to remove the residue left by the tint.  That won't harm your defrost grid and it smells like oranges. :-)

Yes, Goo Gone! That stuff is awesome!

Reply #10
My car had the side windows tinted when I first got it, but the tint had already been removed from the rear glass. I liked it how it was, but of course I took my car down to get it inspected and the first thing he checked was the tint. State limit is 35% and this stuff came out as 25%, so I had to take it off. The guy doing the inspection told me, oh just peel the tint off, then use glass cleaner with ammonia in it, it'll take the adhesive right off. Well :bs: to that. I tried glass cleaner, goo gone, paint thinner, fantastik, just about anything I could think of. I ended up having to se the adhesive off my side windows with a razor. My quarter windows still have old adhesive on them because I don't feel like sing it off.

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

Reply #11
Any thing alcohol or amonia based cleaner.

Reply #12
Any thing alcohol or amonia based cleaner.

Reply #13
I was using glass cleaner with ammonia in it, it didn't do shiznit.

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

Reply #14
http://www.tintdude.com/remove.html

Based on my experience with ammonia I'd suggest you use a vapor respirator. That stuff will burn your nose and lungs quickly.