Skip to main content
Topic: whant to rebuild my comp with new stuff need some advice. (Read 3163 times) previous topic - next topic

whant to rebuild my comp with new stuff need some advice.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Intel-SE7525RP2-Server-Board-For-2-Xeon-Processors_W0QQitemZ6814717554QQcategoryZ44941QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem im looking at this to replace my old pentium 2 board. now my question is has anyone delt with this also how do you think it would handle all the newer games? plus i whanna run like a ati radion graphics card with it and wireless internet. or any graphics card that is the best right now. any advice is helpful because im looking at how mutch everything is gonna run me and decide if i whanna rebuild or possibly look into a gaming laptop for more mobil use and all. also i would be running a dual hard drive set up so i cna have all my music and picture files games and all on one hard drive and just have the other one set for just the operating system. like i said any advice would be great. thank you
2001 Buick Regal LS (DD):hick:

Got that fox rash again!

-Resident smartass! :ies:

- Don't listen to the naysayers. For every person who actually helps with your project there will be 10 who will discourage you all the while thinking that they are helping. 99% of all people have good intentions. That doesn't make them right.- XR7 Dave - SCCOA.Com

Reply #1
If youre going to build your own, then I would really suggest:

http://www.newegg.com

They have an awesome selection of parts, decent prices, awesome shipping and an excellent return program. I buy all my stuff there.

Im not exactly sure what you are going to do with the system, but I assume it was for gaming? Heres my advice on that:

1. Get a motherboard ready for a 64 bit processor. Vista is coming out next year and a lot of manufacturers will start writing programs with that in mind.

2. Buy as much memory (RAM)as you can afford and as fast as it can get within your budget. I am personally going with DDR2 RAM@800mHz for the front side bus.

3. The top of the line graphics chipset is the 7800GTX from nVidia. Not for the tight-walleted folks. I think it was over 600 at last look. Want to go really fast? Go with a pair of 6800 Ultras in SLI mode. About the same price as the newest 7800.

Im sure others will chime in, but that is the direction I am heading with my latest creation.

Reply #2
basically its gonna be a huge gaming comp so ive been trying to base it all off the newest games. so when i saw the dual processor motherboard i thought it wouldn't hurt to have one like that to run the games like battlefield 2 F.E.A.R swat 4. games like those. and i planed on having it for a couple years to use and serve for picture editing and all. alsi im kinda looking to build it in mind for my woman's college coarce cuz she is going for didgital art and she would need a really fast comp to do so.

Got that fox rash again!

- Don't listen to the naysayers. For every person who actually helps with your project there will be 10 who will discourage you all the while thinking that they are helping. 99% of all people have good intentions. That doesn't make them right.- XR7 Dave - SCCOA.Com

Reply #3
Intel processor are not good gaming chips, they are a logical chip and are built for data processing, Amd on the other hand is not, they are a graphical chip and handle it better.  I would spend you money on a good AMP board and chip go to http://www.mwave.com look at their combos

Reply #4
The latest dual core processors are great for multitasking, but the software engineers havent quite used it to its full potential for games. It might be the way to go now if you dont plan to upgrade again for another year or so. Big time cash though. Sounds like you have a good idea what you want it to do...just focus on the graphics card and lots of memory.

I play BF2 on a:

P4 w/HT 2.8 gHz 800 mHz frontside bus
1 gb RAM PC 3200
nVidia 6600 GT 256 mb RAM
160 gb hard drive (partitioned)
19 CRT monitor

It runs pretty decent, but 2 gb RAM would be ideal.

Reply #5
t-bird....you realize your signature says "60 cfm carb"? thats go-cart size man!

Reply #6
well also i whant it all to run at a good speed with 2 hard drives in it. and i don't plan on upgrading for a while once i build it. unless it would be cheaper to get a gaming laptop and all. also whats your bf2 sn mine is for the demo server but when i get the full game its gonna be cougarhunter1

Got that fox rash again!

Reply #7
Dont go the laptop route unless you have to have the portablility. Once you commit to that course of action, you will not be able to do anything to it but add memory.

You can buy on large hard drive and partition it. (C: and D: drives)

Or you can go with two exact drives in a RAID 0 configuration. Half your data is on one drive and the the other has the other half. When you summon data, both drives can perform the operation at the same time. Downside is, if you lose one drive, ALL your data is wiped out. But the system is really fast.

RAID 1 config is when you have two drives and both have the exact same data on it. Not as fast as a RAID 0, but your data is safe and one drive can be replaced without data loss.

Reply #8
what would be better a external hard drive to store music pictures and all that or the second hard drive like my parents have set up on this comp? and in actuality its kinda slow.sad thing is i have more ram into my pentium 2 comp them they have in this celleron d comp.

Got that fox rash again!

Reply #9
for speed? go with Serial ATA hard drives in a RAID 0 config.

for reliability? go with two Serial ATA drives in a RAID 1 config.

for backup purposes and portibility? go with the external USB 2.0 hard drive.

for ease of setup go with one drive partitioned.

Serial ATA is the way to go these days. A USB drive will be slower, but you can just unplug it and jam it into another computer. Like carrying lots of music and pics. Games would benefit from the RAID 0. Unless you archive data, or run a business, the RAID 1 is kinda pointless. But there is a speed improvement over a single drive. Hope this is what you are looking for.:hick:

Reply #10
well it does help with the thought process i have. basically im a self imposed comp tech. ive lerned by doing it and making mistakes and all. but it does help me out. now i gotta find what is kinda cheaper to do. but i would like the prtability of a laptop and all not really being tied down by wires. but thank you for the advice.

Got that fox rash again!

Reply #11
Quote from: armyguy298
t-bird....you realize your signature says "60 cfm carb"? thats go-cart size man!

No wonder im having fuel issues, at least my gas mileage got better:D

Reply #12
Also if your buying  a new board do get teh serialt ata like army suggested but also get PCIEXP slots, They replace AGP and are amazingly fast, video cards for it range from 50 to 2k.

Reply #13
Most laptops are not built for gaming, the LCD displays do not have teh refresh rate enough to handle lots of poly chages you will be disapointed in that aspect.

Reply #14
If you want the ultimate gaming pc, go for a 64 bit amd. It will out do a p4 even in 32 bit applications. You dont need a butt load of ram, but sometimes it will help out. 512 mb, and 256 mb video card would be fine. I personally have a 64 bit amd with 256 megs ram and a geforce 6600gt with 128, and it will out do virtally any pentium 4 out there.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com