Skip to main content
Topic: 1g (Read 2015 times) previous topic - next topic

1g

Thats how much the timing chain and gears is goning to cost me.

I have had mornings where i jump into the car and it will do the infernal beep then show the oil pressure screen and show it down at ziltch, then 5 minutes later it is all good. Well i get home from work which was shiznitty to begin with, and my dad lays this on me. The guy said it may be a sensor thats screwing it up but none the less the timing chain and gears should be replaced, and in about 5 or 6 weeks they will be. I guess i shouldent complain about my meager paycheck at least ive got a job.

1g

Reply #1
A grand for a timing chain and gears? For a 302??? That's more than a little steep...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

1g

Reply #2
Yep, the oil pressure sending unit. I had to replace mine and I'm going to have to do it again.
As for the timing chain and gears, I don't know what to say. That sounds like a lot more than it should cost.

It really sucks when you work and are constantly fixing stuff with your car. I'm in a similar position. You no sooner get paid and it's all gone. Not much fun.

1g

Reply #3
That price sounds about right for a SOHC 427, but not a 302.  I'd probably shop around if I were you.

Nick

1g

Reply #4
Personally with time and labor that i think sounds about right , but then again im probably wrong.

1g

Reply #5
Quote from: 20th anny 5.o
Personally with time and labor that i think sounds about right , but then again im probably wrong.

youre very wrong there bro

parts would cost maybe 50 bucks

you need to remove all of the front end accessories, pull off the water pump, crank shaft pulley, harmonic balance, then the timing chain cover, once thats off, its easy

im not sure with these cars, but does the front of the oil pan need to be dropped down?
It's Gumby's fault.

1g

Reply #6
According to Mitchell OnDemand:

I did up this quote, based on replacing the chain, cam sprocket, crank sprocket, cam thrust plate (likely not necessary), gasket, and labour at $60/hr, 8% taxes:
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

1g

Reply #7
and those part prices are steep, unless its canadian funding

you can get timing sets for ~25-30 bucks
It's Gumby's fault.

1g

Reply #8
Time to learn how to do it yourself.  I knew a guy in college that had a Firebird and the chain went out.  He never worked on a car before but I loaned him my tools and it had it done in a day.  I didn't even help him. 
Not that hard and it's good to learn.  You could replace the water pump, hoses and belts at the same time and still be under $200, with buying the tools.  I bet they come back and tell you that you need all these things and charge you more.

TED

1g

Reply #9
Quote from: Tbird232ci
and those part prices are steep, unless its canadian funding

you can get timing sets for ~25-30 bucks

It is Canadian funds, but it's also OEM Ford parts. Aftermarket would be much cheaper...

1g

Reply #10
Quote from: Cad-T-Bird 500
Time to learn how to do it yourself.  I knew a guy in college that had a Firebird and the chain went out.  He never worked on a car before but I loaned him my tools and it had it done in a day.  I didn't even help him. 
Not that hard and it's good to learn.  You could replace the water pump, hoses and belts at the same time and still be under $200, with buying the tools.  I bet they come back and tell you that you need all these things and charge you more.

TED

I definatly agree

the job isnt hard, its pretty straight forward, just make sure you bring the engine to TDC before you do it

Now would be the time to stuff an HO cam in it, injectors, upper intake and throttle body, computer and exhaust on it
It's Gumby's fault.

1g

Reply #11
1g I'll come to your house and do it for that!!:giggle:

1g

Reply #12
Seriously shop around thats a little steep, no i mean thats really steep! Listen to the other guys you can do this yourself, just remember TDC is very important!!!;)

1g

Reply #13
Yeah, man, if you have a place you can borrow, and tools to do it, I'd go for it.  I'd never torn into an engine that was still in a car until I got my T-bird.  It took me about 3 days, but that was because I still didn't have front cover gaskets and stuff.  302 timing chain isn't tough at all if you have an impact and puller.

1g

Reply #14
I saw the title and though how is he pulling 1g in the corners. Then I read the post.

Ya $1000 is a little hard to belive. Are you sure they didn't quote you for and engine swap?