Skip to main content
Topic: just an idea. (off the wall idea) (Read 6286 times) previous topic - next topic

just an idea. (off the wall idea)

so ever since i rewired my cars speakers up i have a much beter sound now that i can controll the dash and door speakers beter and just using the rear speakers off the amp i have.

well anyway without the box and onther amp in the car  and using the back speakers as mids and highs the doors as most of my bass sourse and the dash and mids and highs. i can shake the rearveiw mirror and get a nice HIT/punch out of them door speakers. only 6.5's  now how many would it take to make it hit really hard in an enclosure in the hatch .

only bc. my box is huge and takes up alot of room. and im not getting the puch i want out of it . i can get the bass to sound like a hit but im not feeling it and also the bass will carry. but only if i listen to newer stuff like if i put led zepplin in i barely notice the box.

anyi deas maybe some 8's or 4 6.5's boxed up and amped to drive the bass.  ideas throw them at me.
trick flow street heat intake , 24lbs injetors, ported GT-40's (Chip) long tube headers. and a Performance Automatic C4, with a hurst shifter!

Reply #1
I would do a search and see if it is possible to fit an 8" in the door. Then you could go with a midbass system. Also you need to check out the 1967 hear I come thread by dookie I think. It has an exelent example of fiberglassing in a small area.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #2
nah i dont think an 8 would fit in the door with the window and all being able to come down.besides i like my bass sound from behind. didnt someone on the old fourm do this to their car. a bunch of small speakers.
trick flow street heat intake , 24lbs injetors, ported GT-40's (Chip) long tube headers. and a Performance Automatic C4, with a hurst shifter!

Reply #3
Here's what I did with mine. I don't have any box. The sub is "free-air." It's a 10" sub with 7.5"x10" three ways on either side of it. Along with 6" and seperate tweeters in the doors and dash accordingly. Its a great all around system as I only cared about quality. The bass is great.

Reply #4
8's will fit in the door only with a custom enclosure,  The package tray idea is your best bet.  If your not interested in that, you could try tubes, i had 2 6.5" tubes pushed by 100 wattshiznitting 145dB.  Not over loud but good enough.  Just remeber the larger the sub you go with the more responce you loose,  Rock wouldnt go over a 10  hip-hop wouldnt go under a 10.  My suggestion for a bird.cat would be 6.5 3 ways in the doors, tit tweets on the pillars facing windsheild 2 6x9 in package tray also 3 way and two sealed enclose 10's in the trunk (.9 CF air space each.) with the appropriate power pushing them all.

Reply #5
you could build out the hole for the speakers and stick an 8 in there. im building mine out to stick some 3 or 4 way 6x9s.

kicker makes a 6x9 sise woofer. i dont think its a full blown sub but it does put out decent bass. i was going to buids out the blank space under and behind the arm rest in the door for those.

also, a 8 or 10" solo baric sound awesome with the right amp and takes up little space. thats basically gonna be my setup....
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #6
but you guys are forgetting. i dont have my cougar anymore. i got the mustang. hatch back im just looking for some ideas.maybe i'll think about this more. or design a new box for the car

Reply #7
vehile doesnt matter, if your looking to save space, 1st i would go with 2 10's in a sealed enclosure, 2nd i would use tubes.  Sealed is going to give e nice tight responce but wont produce as low as tubes or a ported box.  We really need to know what you are tring to do with it. Is it going to be for comp or peronal sound.  I'llbe glad to help any way i can, I was a stereo installer for years and designed a few boxes my self.  Let us know your plans and see what we can comeup with.

Reply #8
im looking for the hit but not getting it . i want this thing to hit so hard i want people to be scared when i put it up. i want to feel the bass Drive it's self threw the seats and into my chest. and im not getting that with the box i have now with 2 pioneer 10's dvc's. i put them in a smaller box and i get a beter hit but seems like not enough sound to back it up. like i get with the bigger box.  so i want my cake and be able to eat it as well .

Reply #9
Pioneers arn't the best sub in the world for that. I would try to find a set of Xtant X series subs. The round ones no the octagons. I had one in my bird and you could hear me coming before you saw me.

The problem you have is the subs are setup for constant bass, not one hit after another. The pioneers have a foam surround that is in a u shape. Where the xtant has a thick rubber surround that is flat. This is the style you are looking for.

The x's are very durable and love the hard hitting bass. You will probly not find these at your local bestbuy or super store you will have to ask around at the car audio place because they are very picky as to who sells them.

Did you ever think about mounting them bove the arm rest and blow the window in the back?

Reply #10
I would agree with the post above, you need a good quality Sub.
I would also get away from the DVC's.  I had 2 10" Hifonics oplympians pushed by a 100 autotek and washiznitting 168dB,  These were in a sealed enclosure so the responce was tight as well. all behinf the seat of a 94 sonoma if you are familiar with those trucks you know a regular cab has very little room.  you can have what your looking for just keep in mind your going to have to pay for it. The main reason i got out of stereo was the endless upgrading to stay competetive.

Reply #11
well the only reason im gonna stick with pioneers is bc my bro let me get 2 of his old ones that were still good and we put them in and got the hit i was looking for. but i traded him the subs back for the seats that are in my mustang now. but at the time cougar. and didnt have a problem in the cougar. but from the cougar to this car night and day and this is way smaller of a car. i still think i need half the box i have now or a devider between the two not 2 in one open box like it is now. could this have anything to do with my problem.

Reply #12
Yes the two subs in one box could be a problem the next is the stang a hatch or notch.

As for half the box not sure check the specs and if in dought fill the box with polyfill it will 1: make the box smaller if needed or 2: make the box bigger if needed.

Also what kind of amp are you using?

Reply #13
Sound should be close if not better in the hatch back due to the harmonics of the vehicle, are you sure the subs are in phase. If not (which is really easy to do) the 2 subs will cacel each other out giving you poor sound and very little "punch"

what Amp?  running bridgemono? what Ohm load?  stereo? what ohm load?  What ohm are the speakers (problably 4 ohm each VC to make an 8 ohm speaker).

Reply #14
As for half the box not sure check the specs and if in dought fill the box with polyfill it will 1: make the box smaller if needed or 2: make the box bigger if needed.

where do i get this from?

amp is a legacy  ???? 1000 watter. i'll look for the box tomorrow to get you specs on it . 4 channle

are you sure the subs are in phase. If not (which is really easy to do) the 2 subs will cacel each other out giving you poor sound and very little "punch"

how do i know if they are in phase??  yeah they are 4-8 ohm speakers. im just running them plain jain. i tryed bridging them but wasnt to happy with it and it wasnt what i wanted
oh yeah a pioneer HU 6500 with sub pre outs
thanks for all the info guys