Skip to main content
Topic: 89 tbird instrument cluster illumination? (Read 1495 times) previous topic - next topic

89 tbird instrument cluster illumination?

My instrument cluster quit working when I did some work to the stereo.  What and how do I get it to work again.  I have the digital cluster.  It appears as though it is working but I can hardly see it.  Now the information I have found in your info area talks about 88's and older having this problem.  Does this apply to my car?

Re: 89 tbird instrument cluster illumination?

Reply #1
Double check your wiring, it's likely you've got a ground swaped with the illumination wire. That'll cause you to blow a fuse that controls the illumination in the dash. Is it fine when the headlights are off? Does it dim out when you turn them on? Start there first.
Temporarily Foxless? Ride the Bull...

Reply #2
The illumination is not on at all whether the lights are on or off.  I have checked the fuses and nothing.  I am wondering if I should just rip the dash apart and look for pinched wires in the harness.  I already pulled out the cluster and checked the connections. Any other ideas?

Reply #3
I have the same problem with a digital Cluster.  I can barely see the digital read outs.  the dash is working just can't read anything.  Is there a special Fuse for this or is in the dash unit itself.

Reply #4
check the relay under the dash (near center pod just to the left of the radio) there are several there.
Baylensman 97 XR7