Skip to main content
Topic: Oops, I did it again. I bought a new car. (1986 Ford LTD wagon) (Read 2541 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Oops, I did it again. I bought a new car. (1986 Ford LTD wagon)

Reply #15
That's awesome!
1987 TC

Reply #16
So, a little update.

Life and winter has hampered progress, but here's where we sit at the moment.

In the bay with the 2015-17 intake.

All with the hood closed.

I went to a 96-04 Kmember, as I needed a little more drop under the oil pan. Still needed to clearance the back of the Kmember to get the pan down and foreward.

I have about 1/4" between the oil pan and the rack, but as you can see, the pan is still tucked up under the K-member

Right now I'm sorting out motor mounts. I have a couple ideas on what I want to do, but we'll see which one pans out. Ironically, I may wind up welding the factory mount pads back on, even if they're in a slightly different location.

The only real clearance issue is the u-joint on the steering shaft with the DS exhaust manifold. I think I can make it work OK with a little engine placement, a spendy steering shaft, and some clearancing (meaning grinding).
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

Reply #17
Since the other site is down, I'll update here.

Been going in circles this past few months trying to work between several projects.

This one needed to get the K-member mods done and I accomplished that. (Pic of it in primer)

Relocated the FCA mounts inboard 3/4", since I was going to use the SN-95 arms, and the stock width between the control arm mounts was the same between the LTD and the Mod K-members. I was going to have fender contact if I tried to leave them as-is.

I talked myself into thinking that I needed to clean up the engine bay before I dropped the drivetrain back in the car, so I needed to address that, and got it knocked out this past weekend.

I need to remove a bunch of un-needed wiring and do a few more things, so it wasn't a bad idea to strip everything out.

I hit it with a couple rounds of scuff and clean with some grey ScotchBrite pads and treated any remaining corrosion areas with some Corroseal.

The primed and painted it with some Seymour MRO paints.

Next task is to get the drivetrain back in the car and out of my way in the garage.

Reply #18
Wow!  What a difference for the engine bay!
1988 Thunderbird TC, 5spd
Stinger 3" single exhaust, Cone Filter, Adjustable Cam Pulley, Schneider roller cam, Walbro 255 lph, AEM Wideband O2
'93 Mustang Cobra replica wheels on 235/50R17

'21 F150 Powerboost
'17 Husqvarna TX300

Reply #19
its amazing how good of shap that lower rad core support is in.  you amaze me with your quarky appreciation for the odd fox box platforms.  im sure you will turn it into a gem!

Reply #20
its amazing how good of shap that lower rad core support is in.  you amaze me with your quarky appreciation for the odd fox box platforms.  im sure you will turn it into a gem!

Well, there is a bit of damage hiding on the bottom rear of the passenger side of it, but nothing I wanted to mess with.  This is a car that is going to get DRIVEN, so I wanted to make sire things were sealed/fresh.

Truth be told. If I didn't have the '83 TBird, I'd be building up another 80-82 Box TBird/Cougar XR-7 in its place.  :toothless: