Skip to main content
Topic: painting parts in general (Read 2138 times) previous topic - next topic

painting parts in general

hey guys...

ive got the 8.8 out finally. i want to paint this thing but before i do i wanted to see what ideas are out there. i was going to just strip off the surface rust and give it a few coats of rustolium or something. i have a feeling that wouldnt last all that long though. other options would to be strip it good, use a self etching primer and have a go with a few cans of truck/van paint. my brother n law works at starret tools and has axcess to a hot tank and powder coat. i could have it done in black wrinkle, gloss black and i think white. the thing is heavy though and im sure id be wating on it for awhile. i doubt the car will ever see the winter roads again. id just like it too look decent and last awhile. ive never realy done any painting so i dont want to wast my time on something that isnt going to last at all.....thanks for your time guys...john
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Re: painting parts in general

Reply #1
se off all of the rust or power wash it. Then use caliper paint. I think that the regular paint would be fine if you use alot of coats, but caliper paint would hold up better against the rust and what not. I dunno.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #2
Hey, if you got access to powdercoating then that's what I would do! Less time is of the essence then just clean it, spray paint it and be on your way. :)
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver

Reply #3
I'd suggest powdercoat too if you can.
I remeber a old episode of Hot Rod TV where they got a do it yourself kit, and they used a old junk electric oven to cook all of there parts :P  (although I don't think you can fit a axle in your standard oven....)

Reply #4
Quote from: Rwolf
I'd suggest powdercoat too if you can.
I remeber a old episode of Hot Rod TV where they got a do it yourself kit, and they used a old junk electric oven to cook all of there parts :P (although I don't think you can fit a axle in your standard oven....)

That doesn't sound like bad idea. Powdercoating kits can be had for decent, it's the baking that kept me from persuing it any further. That and trusting the junk oven we had laying around. :giggle: Sometimes it didn't work and others it REALLY worked. :flame:
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver

Reply #6
I'd get a can of Eastwood's Chassis Black and some foam brushes and coat the axle. But first I would get some sanding sponges and sand the entire axle down by hand to remove and surface rust and to provide a good surface for the paint.

The more expensive, but better option, is to use POR-15.  It wears like iron and is the best coating I've ever seen used in auto restoration.  I sport POR-15 on my Thunderbird, the Celica Liftback, and I'm sure my Celica Coupe will get a little here and there.

Chris
"I put my foot in my tank and I began to roll." Chuck Berry

Reply #7
The best way in the cheap do it your self way would be to strip it. use that truck bed liner coating. It is tough and durable. I did my whole under carriage that way it is awsome.
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Reply #8
HIGH TEMP ENGIN ENAMEL IS PROB THE BEST WAY TO GO IT'S PRETTY CHEAP AND EASY +it's CERAMIC BASED LAST FOREVER
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #9
I'm going to second the POR-15.  It's a hell of a durable product and will make everything look shiny and new for a long long time.
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0

Reply #10
Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator is a bit of a better project to use IMO.  With the POR-15 you need to use the rust neutralizer first before you coat, with the Rust Enc. you don't. 

I've used both, and like the Eastwood stuff better.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon