Skip to main content
Topic: My Car's history revealed!!! (Read 1973 times) previous topic - next topic

My Car's history revealed!!!

Today I brought the T-bird to The Ainsles' cruise in, got a few compliments...then started talking to a guy about a 9c1 caprice. Then I told him about the T-bird, vynal roof ect. He started to laugh. He Helped soup up the t-bird a few years back. THAT'S Right!!! She was souped up BEFORE I bought it!! Well guys here are the mods that were done to it, some have been returned to stock, or disconnected. 
The engine is not a 302, but a 310 V8 *302 .045 over* , it HAD a aggresive cam but the dealership took it out. The tranny has some switch he told me not to flip, or @ least hold on to something when I hit it. The rear gears have been welded so I have limited slip. the front was shortened a lil for driving, big sway bars *gone*, The 2 different biege was because of the flames that were on it...*kind ironic* it had dual exhaust with 3" dumps, Wide rear tires, and performance shocks *gone when it was resold* And topping it off was a '70s spoiler on the rear  Alas the guy sold the old bird and bought a '92 cobra, souped that up, and then it rolled. The car now sits in a dealership in memory of him. My car will be rebuilt in memory of him, and My grandfather.
'83 Cougar *the never ending project* warmed over 306 v8,c4,8.8 posi with 5 lug conversion
'91 mustang strictly street-in progress
'00 f150 7700-Mean Green: jet stage 1 chip,ported upper intake with 1" spacer,'04 Super Duty intake with injectors,summit racing short tube headers with true 2.5" duals with smithy's glasspacks!

Re: My Car's history revealed!!!

Reply #1
First thing you wanna do is replace that rear that has been welded. A welded rear (or a spool, had it been done right) is downright dangerous on public roads. If you only plan on 1/4 mile racing you're OK, but if you plan on actually steering the car get that rear fixed. And put a sway bar back on. As for the tranny switch, these cars don't have an electronic tranny so I don't know what that would be for. Unless it's a trans brake or something I can't see it being something that you'd have to "hold on" for (and a trans brake would lock up the rear wheels, launching you through the windshield and probably breaking something if it were ever activated at speed). And how was the car "shortened for driving"?

I dunno, it kinda sounds like the guy was blowing smoke up your ass. Or at least you should hope he was, because none of those "mods" sound very productive...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #2
the switch was probably for a locking torque converter
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #3
Heh, a welded diff isn't limited slip, it's more like "no" slip.

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

Reply #4
Quote from: Red_LX
Heh, a welded diff isn't limited slip, it's more like "no" slip.

Sort of like tying one's shoe laces together, too.

Reply #5
yeah I noticed it steers odd * goes like a tractor in corners* The car has sway bars, it used to have bigger ones...and the guy pointed out quirks that I've been wondering about for the last year...I did laugh @ the shortening...cause the aftermarket hood would not have fit...I'll be looking into the stuff. I know if nothing else the engine isn't a 302...and he mentioned the exhaust *the dealer put new exhaust on* most of it sounded right...but the shortening is odd...he claims they lightened it in the front too...How? what's under there to lighten? still wondering what that wire went too...
'83 Cougar *the never ending project* warmed over 306 v8,c4,8.8 posi with 5 lug conversion
'00 f150 7700-Mean Green: jet stage 1 chip,ported upper intake with 1" spacer,'04 Super Duty intake with injectors,summit racing short tube headers with true 2.5" duals with smithy's glasspacks!

Reply #6
Not to be picky but since I noticed:

.045 overbore = 308 ci
.060 overbore = 310 ci

Why on earth would you shorten a Bird when the Mustang exists? :dunno:
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver

Reply #7
.060 overbore also = asking for trouble...

And please explain to me how a front end can be "shortened". I'd really love to know this. ;)

Reply #8
it hasn't been shortened I measured it...engine size I'm unsure of...but it doesn't act like a 150 hp 5.0 SO

Reply #9
1 more thing...why was a push button installed for a landau fake spare tire carrier? I'm wondering now if this guy was the one that put the kit on...he knew alot about the landau kit

Reply #10
I'm not trying to lie to you guys, this is what I was told...get him instead :flame:

Reply #11
Im thinkin he meant lowered it. Shortened the front end ride height is a longer way of saying it, is the front end lowered? If not, I think this guy might have knew his stuff in some areas but blowin smoke up dat azz in others just to make conversation...

Reply #12
Oh believe me bro, we're on your side with this. It's just funny how some people a) do really strange things to cars, and then b) talk about the mods like they're the greatest things since refrigeration, yet sound like a total dumbass at the same time. ;) Hey, at least what he told you is entertaining!!!

Reply #13
Quote from: Snubz-N-Ttown
Im thinkin he meant lowered it. Shortened the front end ride height is a longer way of saying it, is the front end lowered? If not, I think this guy might have knew his stuff in some areas but blowin smoke up dat azz in others just to make conversation...

It might be...dunno...never had 215/70s on both front and rear...had 215/70s on rear, and 205 70s on the front and she had a drag race like stance...but I kinda wore out the rears LOL

Reply #14
Sounds like you need to find the guy and get him back on the subject again, to see if he mentions the same stuff. Then ask stupid shiznit. What kind of ler bearing he used. Headlight fluid. Just to get a kick out of. Trust me there are alot of dumb people out there and they will believe almost anything.
"Real cars dont power the front wheels, they lift them"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1984 Mercury Cougar GS 5.0:cougarsmily: BBK Equal Length Shorties, BBK O/R X-Pipe, Magnaflow Magnapacks, Mustang GT Stainless Tailpipes, 18" Magnaflow Rolled Edge Tips. Turbo Coupe Hood, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler. 17"x9" Cobra R's, Falken Ziex 255/50s, and 245/45s.
1984 Ford Thunderbird 3.8L "Drag Queen"
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Lone Star Edition 5.7L Hemi 400hp, lex DOD14M Magnaflow retro-fit ler kit