Skip to main content
Topic: Car in Barn (Read 3660 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Car in Barn

Reply #15
Quote from: From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
TRX is a type of tyre and rim invented by Michelin in 1975. The tyre allowed a more even distribution of tension (TR stands for Tension Répartie (distributed tension)) and TRX tyres were used for high speed cars. However, the standard didn't catch on and nowdays they are rare.

The tire size in not measured in inches but rather milimeters Ex.220/55 390. This is a very rare tire and therefore very expensive.

Reply #16
Now why would Ford go and make a dumb move like that?

Reply #17
Quote from: armyguy298

It was supposed to catch on and become a std wheel/tire combo...

I suspect Goodyear had something to do with it's demise, when they introduced the Gatorbacks in the early  '80s

Reply #18
Sweet find! As for cleaning the carpeting. . . do you have like a T/A Travel Center/ Truck Stop around you? They are usually along major highways. They sell this stuff called EZ Big Rig cleaner for carpeting and uphostry(sp?) as well as degreaser. Good stuff. My dad spilled coffee all over my moms tan interior and even after it sitting a couple days, the stuff managed to take it out along with various other ground in stains. Ganted the stains in your carpet have been there longer, but it may be worth a shot.

Reply #19
I have found a really good carpet cleaner,  its called blue max its a napa brand  but it works really good cleaned grease out of my blue carpet.  give it a try

Reply #20
Thanks for the tips, if I think the carpet will clean up I'll give them a try.  No signs of damage due to rodents. There was a Jeep and Chevy near by so maybe they make better homes!  There wasn't any grain in the barn so I don't think it had a big rodent problem. Ususlly they are a problem when cars are parked outside for a while.

Behind the car is the place it called 'home' for many years.

I like the TRX wheels but at $200+ for a tire I think I'll try something else.
tbirdregistry.com

Reply #22
I've never seen another car besides mine that had those style TRX wheels.  Awesome find.

-Matt

1996 Probe GT
1968 Fairlane 500

Reply #23
Project update:

Major clean up from inside out in progress.  Why didn't Ford paint the bumpers before installing the bumper covers? Do you know how much they rust?? :mad:

Awaiting new carpet and headliner as well as new timing belt and idler, and getting ready to pull the heater core.

All interior pieces are detailed and ready to re-install except for DS seat,too worn to clean up. Any ideas where to look for a replacement leather seat cover?

I could use some parts like Marchal lenses, DS kick panel, seatbelt covers, etc so watch the Wanted Section for some of my needs. ;)
tbirdregistry.com

Reply #24
Quote from: armyguy298

Well our Cougars, Thunderbirds and Mustangs are the only v8 cars with a 4 bolt pattern. They tried to start a trend that was never meant to stay obviously. Hey I cant complain no one around here has a car like mine. What can I say.
"Real cars dont power the front wheels, they lift them"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1984 Mercury Cougar GS 5.0:cougarsmily: BBK Equal Length Shorties, BBK O/R X-Pipe, Magnaflow Magnapacks, Mustang GT Stainless Tailpipes, 18" Magnaflow Rolled Edge Tips. Turbo Coupe Hood, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler. 17"x9" Cobra R's, Falken Ziex 255/50s, and 245/45s.
1984 Ford Thunderbird 3.8L "Drag Queen"
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Lone Star Edition 5.7L Hemi 400hp, lex DOD14M Magnaflow retro-fit ler kit

Reply #25
Quote from: nitroracer
I've never seen another car besides mine that had those style TRX wheels.  Awesome find.

Correction Matt....it's MY car now  :hick:

My 84 XR-7 had those wheels on them stock.  Too bad the TRX stuff is utter garbage for anything other than rolling around on a smooth dry parade grounds  :yuck:  Those ed things almost killed me in the wet MANY times.

Matt- I don't think those particular ones were on option in '80, I think someone added them...I could be wrong though...don''t see them listed anywhere as an option until 83 though.

The Tbird is looking good though.  I know what you mean about the bumpers....I Rust Encapsulated mine when I had the car painted...it was covered in a nice scale of rust.

Any ideas where to look for a replacement leather seat cover?

Well since those seats are the same thing as the Sport seats in the Mustangs you might try some place like Late Model Restoration or the like....
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

Reply #26
How long has it been since it was driven, normaly if they sit for a long time the seals can crack and leak.
Great find.

Reply #27
Quote from: TerryJ
How long has it been since it was driven, normaly if they sit for a long time the seals can crack and leak.
Great find.

True...while it's down, you should take the time to replace the valve stem seals, and toss the Ford v.c gasket on there while you have it off.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

Reply #28
Nice car...you're doing great work on it!!!

BTW, the TRX wheel was not a Ford design, it was a Michelin design.  It was hot shiznit in the late 1970s, any performance car HAD to have the TRX wheel for its suspension package.  If Ferrari had TRXs, Ford should too.  I didn't know you could even find new TRXs???
pro-five-oh

88 Cougar XR-7...5.0HO, T-56, and much more                             
85 Thunderbird 30th...#2471, 29k, all original and might actually stay that way

Reply #29
The last time it was inspected was 1994 but I was told it was started and run from time to time (which could explain a couple pieces of wheat in the A/C condenser fins! :) ). Believe it or not it doesn't smoke on start up like my 84 SVO, however I will be going over –everything- before I put it on the road.

The nose is off now and cleaned up, the A/C system is coming off next along with the cooling system. Can you believe it still has the original lower hose!! I guess I should replace it!  :)

Any thoughts on whether or not the A/C condenser could still be OK after all these years?  I’ll replace the dryer, evaporator, orifice tube, and convert to 134A but do condensers go bad?  I still have the original condenser on my ’83 Heritage.

I need an A/C clutch and/or compressor w/clutch if anyone has one they can part with.

Thanks for the advice and complements…. I sometimes wonder how all of this work is better then picking up a new ’05 Mustang or Tbird!
tbirdregistry.com