Skip to main content
Topic: Work In Progress. '88 TC (Read 17025 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Work In Progress. '88 TC

Reply #90
The humidity gets too much up here to go without A/C for us too.  I spent my youth without A/C so I already did my dues there.

I spent a little over 8 hours working on the car yesterday.  Only got about 2 things done.  Oil return line and the air filter is on..............progress is progress.........
1988 Thunderbird TC, 5spd
Stinger 3" single exhaust, Cone Filter, Adjustable Cam Pulley, Schneider roller cam, Walbro 255 lph, AEM Wideband O2
'93 Mustang Cobra replica wheels on 235/50R17

'21 F150 Powerboost
'17 Husqvarna TX300

Reply #91
The humidity gets too much up here to go without A/C for us too.  I spent my youth without A/C so I already did my dues there.

I spent a little over 8 hours working on the car yesterday.  Only got about 2 things done.  Oil return line and the air filter is on..............progress is progress.........

I spent 8 hours working just on the oil return line once because i refused to remove the compressor for access so dont feel too bad like you didnt get anything done.
"Beating the hell out of other peoples cars since 1999"
1983 Ford Thunderbird Heritage
1984 Ford Mustang GT Turbo Convertible
2015 Ford Focus SE 1.0 EcoBoost

Reply #92

I spent 8 hours working just on the oil return line once because i refused to remove the compressor for access so dont feel too bad like you didnt get anything done.
I wasn't going to remove anything either.  I guess the car was just showing stubbornness back at me.

We have ignition.  On test drive at 5psi we heard a pop and boost leak was there!  Crawl around on the pavement under the car putting the coupling back together after 9:30 pm at night.  Decided it was time to stop and finish another day after getting back to the lot. 

Oh, the lower radiator hose decided to announce its leak after I topped the coolant off....... :beatyoass:

Bit smokey.  I don't think I got everything that oily.  Need to put back on the lift and check for leaks.........the dread has already settled in about the oil return line.......
Stinger 3" single exhaust, Cone Filter, Adjustable Cam Pulley, Schneider roller cam, Walbro 255 lph, AEM Wideband O2

'21 F150 Powerboost
'17 Husqvarna TX300

Reply #93
My return line was leaking both down along the motor and tubes(all over the starter also)and slinging back at the downpipe because of the bolt hole not being drilled out properly. Smoking and stinking.
Alot of work just to remove and alleviate that in the tight parking space i had at the time, im glad i bought a pack of those gaskets for the return line on the turbo.
"Beating the hell out of other peoples cars since 1999"
1983 Ford Thunderbird Heritage
1984 Ford Mustang GT Turbo Convertible
2015 Ford Focus SE 1.0 EcoBoost

Reply #94
Sunday evening  I took the car to a cruise as a kind of test run.  I had the spring and ball removed from the boost control valve to limit boost, but I showed some self control to keep it under 5psi.  This was a test run for Tuesday with the household being down a vehicle.  Found a coolant leak where the hose clamp was slipping on the new hose on the bottom.  Also tighten the exhaust connection to the turbo outlet elbow.

Tuesday morning, replace hose clamp and drive the car to work.  Forgot how much I actually like driving this car.  Made it to and from work below 5 psi......until that last long straight before home....lean on it a little to roughly over 10 psi.  No pops of intercooler piping.

Tuesday Evening, pick my son up from school a few towns away.    A little more comfortable but still keep the boost pressure below 5 psi until that last straight again.  Stopped and let the car eat with my son giggling the whole way with me rowing through the gears.. 
Saw 15 psi max through the gears......should have stopped at 10 psi without the ball and spring in the boost controller.  Also, the gauge didn't climb very steady.

I am going to setup an air regulator on the wastegate actuator to watch it's function.  Also think I should do a vacuum leak smoke test.

The saga continues.

'21 F150 Powerboost
'17 Husqvarna TX300

Reply #95
What kind of controller are you using? From my understanding, most have a vent hole in them to allow the wastegate to close. That could be venting some pressure and basically increasing your boost limit. If you remove the controller and connect the hoses with a barb, it should then operate at whatever the wastegate spring is at.

I'm glad to see you've got it back together and solid.
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #96
What kind of controller are you using? From my understanding, most have a vent hole in them to allow the wastegate to close. That could be venting some pressure and basically increasing your boost limit. If you remove the controller and connect the hoses with a barb, it should then operate at whatever the wastegate spring is at.

I'm glad to see you've got it back together and solid.
Thanks!  I will find a barb to put between the vacuum lines instead of the controller.
It a Gilles boost controller.

'21 F150 Powerboost
'17 Husqvarna TX300

Reply #97
Yeah, that Gills controller shouldn't be a problem. I have something similar on mine currently. No problems.

Does the car "surge" or anything in line with the erratic movement of the boost gauge?

I'd do a smoke test and see if you have any leaks.

I don't remember. Is this car running on a stock LA-series ECU?
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

Reply #98
Thankfully no surging.  Although I have only once really leaned into it.

Still on the stock computer.  I did bump the fuel pressure up a bit to make up for the brown tops.  It's an item I plan to back off once I have my setup done if the AFR is too rich at WOT.

'21 F150 Powerboost
'17 Husqvarna TX300