Skip to main content
Topic: turbo coupe question (Read 1352 times) previous topic - next topic

turbo coupe question

What is the differnce between auto and standard tc hp rating.  I've seen this info before and after a small search couldn't find it so I thought I would ask.
One 88

Re: turbo coupe question

Reply #1
basically the auto take more power then a tick so less power gets to the ground. Autos hog power sticks dont.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #2
The auto's are boost limited by the EEC, I think the figures are 5 spd-190, auto-150.
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Reply #3
Quote from: cougarman
The auto's are boost limited by the EEC, I think the figures are 5 spd-190, auto-150.

What he said (though only applicable to 87-88 model years). The auto tranny in the TC was very weak (much too weak for a car of this size, it's the same tranny as found in the 4-cyl Mustang), so Ford backed off the horsepower to help the tranny live a bit longer. They tried to compensate for the lower power by giving you a better rear end gear (3.73 for auto, 3.55 for stick) but automatic models are still dogs. In '88 the 5.0 car was more powerful and torquier (but with py gears).
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #4
Figure each psi of boost is gonna give you min 6-8hp,now since the auto's were limited to 9psi and the sticks to 15psi then that extra 6 psi of boost times 6-8hp equals  32-36hp extra.
Therefore the differance of 155auto to 190stick.
I was running 17psi through my auto for 3 months before i swapped engines.
If you don't torgue load it or do brake stands and just let the power build under normall accell the A4LD will last much longer than expected.

Reply #5
the 5-speed cars are rated at 190, the auto's were rated at 150

the auto's were limited to 9psi of boost

in 87, the 5-speed made 15psi in first and second, then 11psi in the rest of the gears, in 88, the 5-speed made 15psi in all gears
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #6
did the computer do that shawn?

I ask all this because on the way to CAT JAM I found a 87 turbo coupe for sale.  Well I got it!  Cheap!
One 88

Reply #7
PICS!!!  and how much?

Reply #8
the boost controller is controlled by the computer, yes

what most of us do, we bypass the vaspoogee lines to the boost control selenoid, it gave me 15psi consistantly, some people get up to 18psi, so it varies per car
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #9
bypassing the solenoid will let you boost to 15psi?  I have only been boosting 8-9 since I started driving the car (5 speed)  I guess I really dont know what my car has.  :dunno:

Reply #10
Quote from: 88turbo
bypassing the solenoid will let you boost to 15psi?  I have only been boosting 8-9 since I started driving the car (5 speed)  I guess I really dont know what my car has.  :dunno:

There's always the possibility its a auto car that has been converted to 5 speed or maybe it had a auto turbo installed(I've done that one). Actually the turbos are the same, its one of the fittings to the wastegate that is has a restrictor in it that is the difference.

Reply #11
that, and the wastegate could even have issues, mine wouldnt make past 6psi for the longest time, because my wastegate was worn out
It's Gumby's fault.