Skip to main content
Topic: 1986 Mercury Cougar Convertible Project (Read 2029 times) previous topic - next topic

1986 Mercury Cougar Convertible Project

For Sale:

Year:. 1986
Make:. Mercury
Model: Cougar
Engine: 5.0 V8
Transmission: AOD
Exterior Color:. Regatta Blue
Interior Color:. Blue

I bought this project Cougar Convertible last year with the plans of restoring in time for the Cougar 50th Anniversary, but due to unforeseen cirspoogestances, I must sell ASAP.

This Cougar project runs and drives, but needs restoration.  It is among the 89 that were converted by Car Craft in 1986.  I have been a Ford guy and all my life, and this is the first one I have seen in person.  Very rare car to a Ford Collector.

$2000

Serious Inquiries Only

Text:. 918 313-2929

Reply #1
Man that is sweet. How many miles? Rust? What does it need?

If you were closer, that would already be on the way to me...

Reply #2
Less than 100K original miles.  Has a little rust under the rear seat.  Mostly complete, but needs restoration.

Reply #3
I'd grab that if I had the cash. It's only 1200 miles away.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #4
Feeling sick to my stomach, and can't sleep tonight. This car sold for $479 on eBay today.  The entire car hobby is in serious trouble if this is what people are willing to pay for such a rare car.  The engine alone is worth more than this.

Reply #5
Quote from: foxcougarconvertible;459985
Feeling sick to my stomach, and can't sleep tonight. This car sold for $479 on eBay today.  The entire car hobby is in serious trouble if this is what people are willing to pay for such a rare car.  The engine alone is worth more than this.
  Ummm, that sucks should have brought more...

As far as rare, there's generally a big difference in desirability when comparing a factory built vehicle vs a custom aftermarket... For the right person the car should have brought at least $2K...

Reply #6
jezzzz,,,, what number was it?

I know someone is collecting that information,, keeping track of which numbers are still alive.
bad sell for sure.!!!!

Reply #7
To be fair, it wasn't worth $500 to you, or it wouldn't have sold for that.
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.

Reply #8
You listed it with no title. A car with no title isn't worth much around here.
CoogarXR : 1985 Cougar XR-7

Reply #9
I wouldn't pay $100 for a car with no title. I tried that once. After a few months of trying to get one, found out the daughter had broken her moms car and then tried to sell it. Mom was pretty pissed when i showed up with lost title paperwork. She was still paying a loan out on it.

If the seller can't spend the $10 for a new title, they are usually hiding something.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

Reply #10
Quote from: CoogarXR;460001
You listed it with no title. A car with no title isn't worth much around here.

Exactly.

I'd have loved to have rescued this car. Truth be told, if the car didn't sell on eBay, I was going to make an offer to the seller. But there were a bunch of big unknowns that I'd be taking a big risk on:

- Lack of detailed photos;
- Knowing that the top and window mechanisms would need work, from the photos available;
- Not knowing the extent of the rust;
- Not knowing if there was a reserve on the auction;
- Distance; and
- Lack of a clean title.

I could overcome the distance thing. Everything else was a warning flag. And there were too many of them for my liking.

A lot could have been resolved by talking to the OP, I'm sure. But then that just gets my hopes up. It was listed here, Craigslist, and eBay...and there was no way to tell who was seriously bidding. I don't know, it was all just confusing, and I'm sorry that things didn't work out better for all involved.

Reply #11
What makes you think you can get a title for $10 around here.  Oklahoma is one of the most difficult states to get titles.  Seeing that it's not worth anything, it's going to get parted out and sent to the crusher.

Reply #13
Hmmm...

Feeling sick to my stomach, and can't sleep tonight. This car sold for $479 on eBay today. The entire car hobby is in serious trouble if this is what people are willing to pay for such a rare car. The engine alone is worth more than this.

Seeing that it's not worth anything, it's going to get parted out and sent to the crusher.

Reply #14
Quote from: foxcougarconvertible;460033
What makes you think you can get a title for $10 around here.  Oklahoma is one of the most difficult states to get titles.  Seeing that it's not worth anything, it's going to get parted out and sent to the crusher.

It doesn't seem that difficult and as the other guy said, now you just sound spiteful. Did you get any type of Bill of Sale when you bought it originally for $300?  Any type of transfer of ownership? Did you register the car in your name? http://www.dmv.org/ok-oklahoma/replacing-a-lost-title.php

Replacing a Lost Title in Oklahoma
When you are buying or selling a car, having the title is a must. However, at some point in your life, you may have to deal with the process of replacing a lost, damaged, or stolen title. Luckily, replacing a lost title is only a matter of filling out a few forms with the Motor Vehicle Division of the Oklahoma Tax Commission.
Even when selling or sping a no longer functioning vehicle, the presence or absence of the title can mean a difference of hundreds of dollars in the price you receive. Continue reading this page for more information on the process of applying for a duplicate title in Oklahoma.