Skip to main content
Topic: Fuel sending unit now available for 83-88 buttstuffog guage birds & cougs (Read 2923 times) previous topic - next topic

Fuel sending unit now available for 83-88 buttstuffog guage birds & cougs

Summit  Racing Fuel sending unit modification    Pn 290260

0 ohms empty & 90 ohms full
Modification, make the sending unit read the opposite.
Observation:  After this mod, the max resistance is now 84 ohms (empty tank)
Vehicle application: 1983-88 ford thunderbird or mercury cougar with buttstuffog fuel gauge.

Notes:  On the Summit unit there are 25 individual resistive PCB fingers each being about 3.6 ohms.  In the shipped condition this unit reads 89.9ohms max.  When this mod is done, you will end up with 85 ohms max reading because of how the last resistive leg is bonded.  The Summit unit is very linear with respect to resistive sweep while the ford units are not incremented so simply.  On the Fomoco units the resistivity in the upper and lower 25% range are higher resistances than in the middle.

Many ford enthusiasts can recall their fuel gauge dropping from F to ¾ very slowly , then quickly to just a hair below ½ tank, then the fuel needle would drop slowly again down to E.  With this summit option I believe my needle will drop equally across the full sweep of my fuel gauge making it feel more informative.

Compare your fuel sending unit to the Summit 290260 sending unit.
Left unit is FoMoCo and the right is the Summit unit needing modification to match Ford oem specs.

Reply #1
Step 1

By hand, spin a drill bit inside the rivet of the summit unit to allow it to be opened.

Reply #2
Step 2

Disassemble the Summit unit and track which order your hardware goes.  The intent from the supplier is to insure you have a completely insulated +12vdc power stud for wiring into your car.
Note:  FoMoCo used a collector ring contact system to achieve a ground potential.  In the summit unit this feature is replaced with a separate ceramic PCB ground path.  Notice on the ford unit there is one contact rubbing one arched set of individual resistance PCB tabs.  On the summit unit you have the same resistive arch and also a separate contact to rub against a constant ground potential.

Reply #3
Step 3

DE solder the supplied metal power strap from the PCB  and keep the ring lug side of it only.  Install a power and ground wire as shown below.  Once you do this then reassemble and test your resistance.  It will now provide an opposite resistance range.  Re-assemble and adjust float rod to suit your tank depth.

You will notice that i soldered the black ground wire.  In stock form, this is a loose connection stright out of the box.
It is a design error and the ground lug is supposed to be sandiched between the cover and baking plate and the rivit you drilled out is 'supposed' to keep it snug.

FAIL!

I fixed that.

Reply #4
Nice write up. I'm going to have to do that to my black birds unit.

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Reply #5
where in the heck did all those stars come from on the title?  i didnt know we could do that here, rate threads and such

Reply #6
I will add something later if i find out it is needed.
when my fuel float is touching the top of the tank in the "full" simulated position, i need to insure that there is resistance of a few ohms like 8 or so.

i will need to achieve two things
1- make sure the float arm reads and touches the top of the tank with 8ohm
2- make sure the float arm reads high resistance and touches the bottom of the tank.

Reply #7
as an fyi,, the two contacts are actualy one peice of metal shaped like a "U".  incase someone was scratching thier head.

Reply #8
Revised step by step for original posting of this thread.

Reply #9
see updates,
relocated ground wire to a new stud which will tie to my auxillary ground for the tank itself.
see float rod calibrated to 85ohms empty & 10 ohms full

Reply #10
in the tank now,, ready for service

in order to use the stock locking ring you have to bend the tank locking tabs up a tiny bit.
The reason is the round metal top is not sheet metal but approx 3/16'' ,, hence you bend the tank locking tabs up.

Reply #11
Very nice...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #12
Hello,

I spoke with member Eric and he recommended I buy a new pump/sending unit. I can't figure out how to start a seperate post on my iPad so I apologize for piggybacking off of your post but I feel that maybe you can help. Has anyone ever experienced a situation where the digital gas gauge reads "U"? It's very strange - Any advice would be helpful. Thankyou so much! 🙂

Cody

Reply #13
i see you got your own thread going,,, replied to you.