Skip to main content
Topic: Let's play how much is this Cougar worth! (Read 11581 times) previous topic - next topic

Let's play how much is this Cougar worth!

Reply #30
I've checked car-part.com and they have stuff I'd like. The problem is I'm pretty sure I'd have to buy a whole door to get the molding and trim off of it. Shipping a door is $$$.

I found a parts car about an hour from me. Problem is that it doesn't run. I don't have and don't have access to a truck and trailer to haul it. Could get it cheap enough to be worth it too.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/cto/5947275996.html
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #31
You need a trailer hitch on something you own....then it's called U-Haul car dolly $29 nannnteeee naaahnnnnn and send it! :)

You're right though, tougher to get someone to let you rip off door trim if that's your goal.
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #32
Quote from: ZondaC12;458838
You need a trailer hitch on something you own....then it's called U-Haul car dolly $29 nannnteeee naaahnnnnn and send it! :)

You're right though, tougher to get someone to let you rip off door trim if that's your goal.

I'm fairly certain the weight of an 87 Thunderbird 5.0 exceeds the tow limits of all of my cars :hick:

Yeah to get a molding I'd have to buy a whole door. Doesn't seem cost effective. Neither does buying a whole car though...
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #33
Must not want it all that bad. You could just drive down there, pull the trim and call the junkyard instead of towing it home. Or just get it towed home, or borrow a buddys truck and rent a trailer. Or tow it yourself, tow rop only costs like $20 at harbor freight. Lots of options, guess the door trim just isnt worth it.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #34
Well if I had a friend with a pickup truck to borrow then renting a trailer would be an option. None of my friends or family members own a pickup truck. Unfortunately. I'm for sure not tow strapping that thing to any of my cars as they are in far too nice a condition for that.

Buying a car for molding and trim may not be necessary now. I had a spare, beat up, piece of driver's door molding sitting around. I was able to restore it to almost like new in about 2.5 hours.

I'd still like a parts car just so I have spares of hard to find parts. Since I figured out how to restore the moldings, however, I don't need to find a parts car before my Thunderbird is painted in the spring. I've got time to wait for a good deal.

Reply #35
Quote from: Haystack;458851
Must not want it all that bad. You could just drive down there, pull the trim and call the junkyard instead of towing it home. Or just get it towed home, or borrow a buddys truck and rent a trailer. Or tow it yourself, tow rop only costs like $20 at harbor freight. Lots of options, guess the door trim just isnt worth it.

Ehhhhhh flat towing is good for, like, down the street. And even then it's dicey LOL
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #36
Quote from: ZondaC12;458872
Ehhhhhh flat towing is good for, like, down the street. And even then it's dicey LOL

I'd have to flat tow that car 66 miles. Not happening.

Reply #37
You guys are no fun. Pull the driveshaft and let er rip. Ice towed cars over a hundred miles and work trucks even more.

If its not sketchy, its no fun.
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.

Reply #38
Quote from: Haystack;458876
You guys are no fun. Pull the driveshaft and let er rip. Ice towed cars over a hundred miles and work trucks even more.

If its not sketchy, its no fun.

You"d have loved this then:  I pulled a 1971 Catalina with no transmission with a 1972 Firebird using a tow rope about 26 miles on back roads.  We had to use the brakes on the Catalina to stop both cars at stop signs and such to keep them from bumping together.  Talk about sketchy!!!
1986 Mercury Cougar XR-7 Turbo-charged 5-speed.
Owned 22 years.

Reply #39
My first 86 my dad got at an auto auction for $110. No brakes, we drove it home at 2 am with only a really bad emergency brake.

I had one tbird I bought that had been sitting for almost 10 years. The tires were flat spotted and dry rotted. I pulled up the tires and drove it home under its own power. The serpentine belt broke, replaced that and hopped along at about 20mph the whole way. By the time I got it home, the tread had seperated and got thrown off big chunks of the tires, some of them only had chords showing when I got it home.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

Reply #40
Apparently I am not as adventurous as you two ;)

Reply #41
Quote from: thunderjet302;458882
Apparently I am not as adventurous as you two ;)
LOL Reminds me of a old friend...

He, his wife an a couple kids were headed to PA in two cars with one needing a transmission, he and his brother were going to repl it when he got there(his dad had tow service and had lots of acquired vehicles they dragged in off the PA Turnpike)... Idea was if it ped out along the way they'd still have transportation... It made it up near Tappahannock VA(about 100 miles) and it quit pulling, so ole TC pulls out the pipe and chain, proceeded to strap them together and head for PA... Well they got somewhere around Winchester VA when a cop stopped them asked where he was going, TC says "just up the road"... Cop says, just up road where??? Uhhh Pennsylvania??? Cop exclaimed "get that ed thing off the road!!" He had to go rent a legitimate tow bar to finish the trip... Which was probably another 125 miles...

Reply #42
I drove home a parts truck with HORRIBLE death wobble. About 100 miles. The guy said almost at the last minute "oh itll start shaking sometimes, just steer left and hit the brakes". At first it felt like the world was ending, then after that it just pissed me off since I couldn't go above 50 mph for very long. Everything that wasn't already on the floor, was immediately on the floor each time it happened LOL

Reply #43
I drove a Turbo Coupe home with a dead brake booster which gives approx same braking as dragging your foot, far less brakes than a dead vacuum booster... At 40mph I followed a buddy and stayed around 200ft from him(kept left foot ready to hit clutch to shove it back into 1st or hit parking brake), problem was every idiot on road wanted to get between us... Luckily the auction site was only approx 7-8 miles from my house...

Reply #44
3 months later, still for sale. Now bargain priced at $3200. Seller removed the photos that show the body rust.

https://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/cto/6019988688.html