Skip to main content
Topic: Brake lights problems (Read 5141 times) previous topic - next topic

Brake lights problems

Reply #15
I'm hunting right now so I'm away from my wiring diagrams. I think I know where the problem is and how to test it, but it'll have to wait until I have my diagrams handy (typing this on my phone right now), probably late tomorrow night or on Sunday.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Brake lights problems

Reply #16
Quote from: thunder chicken;457820
i'm hunting right now so i'm away from my wiring diagrams. I think i know where the problem is and how to test it, but it'll have to wait until i have my diagrams handy (typing this on my phone right now), probably late tomorrow night or on sunday.

thanks!!!
1986 Mercury Cougar XR-7 Turbo-charged 5-speed.
Owned 22 years.

Brake lights problems

Reply #18
Quote from: jcassity;457946
update?

Still using the old switch (no turn signals but, at least, my brake lights work).  I've got another switch on the way (used from an 86 TC).  Once I know I've got one that everything works on, I'll get the numbers off of that one and then see about trying to figure out why my brake lights won't work with the NOS OEM one.  Going to be putting all your diagrams and advice to good use by this weekend.
Owned 22 years.

Brake lights problems

Reply #19
shiznit, I'd forgotten about this. I will consult my diagrams later tonight, but the main thing I was going to say was to compare the wiring connector on the car and the wiring connector on the new switch. Make sure there is a terminal on the switch in each place there is a terminal on the car's harness. Also make sure there are no bent over terminals in the new switch. The car's wiring harness should have a light green (I think, going on memory here) wire in it that goes "hot" with the brake pedal pressed. This wire feeds into the turn signal switch and the turn signal switch in turn sends the power out to the tail lights. If you've got a switch designed for a car with amber turn signals it might not have this circuit. I'm thinking that the problem is either this or a bent over terminal in the switch because if it was an actual problem in the switch it'd likely only affect one brake light. Your third brake light is still working because this signal does not go through the switch.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Brake lights problems

Reply #20
Can't find my EVTM's and Mitchell wiring diagrams suck for old cars, but what I said above should pretty much sum it up. I'm pretty sure the wire between the brake pedal and turn signal switch is green. It might have a red stripe, but not sure.

Brake lights problems

Reply #21
It is green with a red strip going out of the pedal so I beleive you are correct.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Brake lights problems

Reply #22
Quote from: Thunder Chicken;457975
Can't find my EVTM's and Mitchell wiring diagrams suck for old cars, but what I said above should pretty much sum it up. I'm pretty sure the wire between the brake pedal and turn signal switch is green. It might have a red stripe, but not sure.

Yo!,,
you always have EVTMs,, just look down below at my sig bone head..:rollin:

Brake lights problems

Reply #23
TC,,
keep in mind that her hubby also did up some slave relay mods as well.,,not that this has any possible way of being in question,, it may however if the new switch is not correct.

hell, if the new switch isnt right, is really hard to tell what wire power is being shoved down.

Brake lights problems

Reply #24
86 evtm

Brake lights problems

Reply #25
WOW!!  You guys are the BEST!!!  Evidently the new switch, even though it all plugged up, is missing a something. Not sure what it is yet but hubby is planning to take it apart and do a stare and compare with the diagrams and information from you to see if he can locate the issue and maybe correct it (I REALLY liked the feel of the brand new switch :)    Got another one sitting on the kitchen island and hubby is going to install it this weekend.  Wish us luck that I can have brake lights AND turn signals again!!!
Owned 22 years.

Brake lights problems

Reply #26
There were 2 different switches.  I cannot remember what the differences are.  Went through this a few years ago.

I'm pretty sure there's a thread someone here about it.  I'll search when I get home.  Searching via my phone is futile.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Brake lights problems

Reply #27
Quote from: V8Demon;457999
There were 2 different switches.  I cannot remember what the differences are.  Went through this a few years ago.

I'm pretty sure there's a thread someone here about it.  I'll search when I get home.  Searching via my phone is futile.

Well, that figures :(  You can bet that the new one I got is the 'wrong' one for my car.
Owned 22 years.

Brake lights problems

Reply #28
I was incorrect.

I was thinking of the main headlamp switch.  For 1986 there were actually THREE main headlamp switches depending on options.....

Anyway, that's of no use to you concerning this particular issue.

The turn signal/hazard switch should have a Ford part # of E7SZ-11654-A.

Looking around RearCounter.com states 2 sellers have it; Green Auto Sales and Dennis Carpenter.  Browsing their websites showed nothing though...I'd call direct.

Green Sales
(513) 294-8385
2172 Seymour Avenue
Cincinnati, Ohio 45237

Dennis Carpenter
(800) 476-9653
(704) 786-8139
4140 Concord Parkway, S.
Concord, North Carolina 28027

Perusing Ebay showed some switches with alternate part #'s that SUPPOSEDLY work......
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=1986+cougar+switch&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X1986+cougar+signal+switch.TRS0&_nkw=1986+cougar+signal+switch&_sacat=0

Hope this helps.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Brake lights problems

Reply #29
Hello All !!

I just wanted to add something into the mix on CougarGal's Turn Signal / Brake Issue.
(Married to Her ... so ... hoping to figure this one out )

I just found out one more snag to the situation.  She had purchased a 'new' multifunction switch, from one of You Fine Folks, and had the new one installed and wanted to test it.

Her Brake lights worked as designed ... but the Turn Signal Arm seemed Stuck in the center position.  I removed it and noticed the Detent,
that holds the gearing in-place for the Turn Signal to move between positions, was split.

X

Sadly ... this isn't the first time this has happened and I was curious if the cause was something, either, on the Steering Column, in the Switch Design
or am I doing something wrong ??

Thanks ! !!