Skip to main content
Topic: Charging System (Read 5571 times) previous topic - next topic

Charging System

Reply #30
Quote from: kylesburrell;458106
Hmmm, im really impressed with how knowledgeable you are. So just add a resistor to bridge green/red stripe wire AND gray/yellowstripe wire.

And, how have I been driving the car like this for 3 years? I might also check my crimp connections for the 3G alt. wiring.
If you appreciate the help. you are welcome.
If you are just being a snarky ass hole, go shag yourself.

Since you don't have or won't share any information about cluster you have in the car, there is no way anybody can buttstuffyze what's going on.
The green wire may be hooked to something that under some conditions puts a voltage on the wire.

Charging System

Reply #31
Quote from: softtouch;458050
Is the alternator wired-up as shown in the pic?
With the engine off do you have battery voltage on the alternator B+ output terminal.
If yes, Turn the key on and don't start the engine. Is the alt/Batt warning light on?
If yes, start the engine, does the warning light go off?

Let us know what you see.

Is the yellow wire supposed to go to the B+ terminal? Cuz I connected yellow to yellow on my existing alt wiring. So thats where mine is different. Good? Bad?
1986 Ford Thunderchicken, 5.0 AOD w/ Shift kit,  354,XXX miles. 1-Family owned. Original engine+trans.
8.8 Disc Rear w/ 3.73 Posi. CHE Control Arms. '04 Cobra brakes all around. 2000 Cobra R wheels. Tubular front LCA's. MM Steering Shaft. Unlocked Speedo, Lowering springs, Eibach sway bars front and rear. Ram air intake.

Charging System

Reply #32
Quote from: softtouch;458111
If you appreciate the help. you are welcome.
If you are just being a snarky ass hole, go shag yourself.

Since you don't have or won't share any information about cluster you have in the car, there is no way anybody can buttstuffyze what's going on.
The green wire may be hooked to something that under some conditions puts a voltage on the wire.

Not being snarky, I promise. And so I need to join the green/red stripe wire to the gray one ON the Dash harness? On those big plugs that go into the back?

-Kyle
1986 Ford Thunderchicken, 5.0 AOD w/ Shift kit,  354,XXX miles. 1-Family owned. Original engine+trans.
8.8 Disc Rear w/ 3.73 Posi. CHE Control Arms. '04 Cobra brakes all around. 2000 Cobra R wheels. Tubular front LCA's. MM Steering Shaft. Unlocked Speedo, Lowering springs, Eibach sway bars front and rear. Ram air intake.

Charging System

Reply #33
That's what I read. Basically you just need 12v power with the key on, where it comes from really doesnt make a difference. You "should" have that resistor or fuse in there somewhere just in case, but almost every key on curcuit has a fuse anyways.
I still recommend jumping it under the hood to make sure the alt turns on. A .5v reading on that green wire could be a short, say you tugged on a wire or it got chaffed some how and is now grounding out.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Charging System

Reply #34
X

Well, heres the culprit. The gray/yellow stripe wire was free to back out of the connector going into the cluster. Not surprised, the plastic that holds them in place is 30 years old. A couple drops of super glue, and fixed! 14.5 volts with engine on.

Thanks softtouch, for all your insight. you got me started down the right path. And thanks everyone else! glad to know there are people willing to offer advice!

-Kyle

Charging System

Reply #36
Quote from: kylesburrell;458115
Is the yellow wire supposed to go to the B+ terminal? Cuz I connected yellow to yellow on my existing alt wiring. So thats where mine is different. Good? Bad?
It's good. You are using the stock wiring.
In fact it is better than going directly to the B+ terminal. The voltage on the yellow wire is what the regulator "looks" at to regulate the alternator output voltage. The designers wanted to "look" at the voltage closer to the load so the regulator can compensate for any loss of voltage between the alternator output and the load.

Do you now have an alternator warning light?

Charging System

Reply #37
Quote from: jcassity;458146
so,,, you have a full digital cluster???????

Yes sir!

Charging System

Reply #38
Quote from: softtouch;458165

Do you now have an alternator warning light?

Is the equipped with one? I dont think so, I have a full digital cluster, so the voltage gauge just reads low and flashes a battery symbol at me lol.

Charging System

Reply #39
Quote from: kylesburrell;458168
Is the equipped with one? I dont think so, I have a full digital cluster, so the voltage gauge just reads low and flashes a battery symbol at me lol.

correct, no batt warning light , there is an empty socket available to isolate and make it so if you would like one.

thats what i did, i interrupted the flex print and put the empty socket to use and wired in the standard cluster warning light ckt.  i am also full digi dash on one of my fox's

next time mention the starwars cluster you have when posting odd ball happenings... and make use of the EVTMs below we share.

Charging System

Reply #40
Quote from: kylesburrell;458168
Is the battery symbol red?
I think the battery symbol may be your warning light.
It didn't go away after you fixed the wire at the connector?

Charging System

Reply #41
yeah its all fixed now!