Skip to main content
Topic: A/C clutch question (Read 4378 times) previous topic - next topic

A/C clutch question

Reply #15
The clearance changes over time as the clutch surfaces wear slightly every time they engage. The one time I had a buddy's car ('01 XJ) who had similar symptoms, I removed the shims and that fixed the issue. 5+ years later, the clutch is still kickin'.

It may very well be the coil, but 10 minutes to possibly save $50 isn't a bad trade!

A/C clutch question

Reply #16
Thanks for all the great replies, I didn't expect so much. Unfortunately I work all the time including weekends so it's going to be several days before I get a chance to check this out. I'll start by checking the coolant psi after I find out which coolant I have. Then I'll test for voltage at the plug and go from there. I guess I could try to take out one of the shims before ordering anything, it doesn't sound like it will take very long.
I'll keep you guys posted when I figure this out.

A/C clutch question

Reply #17
I tested things with my multi meter this past weekend and I seem to be getting proper voltage when the A/C switch is turned on. I went ahead and ordered the NOS clutch assembly from Ebay. I appreciate the step by step directions Foe. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.