Skip to main content
Topic: Rear braided brake line on an 84? (Read 1061 times) previous topic - next topic

Rear braided brake line on an 84?

Who (if anybody) is using a DOT approved braided rear brake flex line from frame to an 8.8? When I did the 11"/73mm front disc brake upgrade years ago, I bought a kit from Russel for an 88 Mustang and the front worked out great. After installing my adjustable proportioning valve today, I figured I'd install the remaining rear line that came in the kit since the system was already drained. The rear hose isn't even close as the Mustang feeds the rear brakes through the driveshaft tunnel to the top of the diff, while the Cougar feeds it along the passenger side  frame rail and onto the axle tube. Sooooo, I either have to find a suitable braided line or go back to the stock replacement rubber hose. In all honesty, that 11" of rubber hose won't make any noticeable difference, but hey, the car is inside over the pit and the roads are still py so I'm in no real hurry.
84 COUGAR/90 HO, 1.7RRs, performer RPM,700DP, equal length shorties, stainless EXH ,T-5,Hurst pro-billet, KC clutch, 8.8/ 4.10s, line-lok, bla ,bla, bla.
71 COMET/289,351w heads, 12.5 TRWs, 750DP, Liberty TL, 9"/6.00s, 11.9x @112 , bla,bla,bla.

Never shoot your mouth off, unless your brain is loaded! ....I may get older, but I'll never grow up!....If you're not laughing, you're not living!  :laughing:

Reply #1
Couldn't you make a short extension for the hard line to make up the difference in length?

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Reply #2
I could but the Mustang hose uses a 90* block/banjo bolt at the frame end instead of a straight connection. Plus, the close proximity to the exhaust makes it questionable.
84 COUGAR/90 HO, 1.7RRs, performer RPM,700DP, equal length shorties, stainless EXH ,T-5,Hurst pro-billet, KC clutch, 8.8/ 4.10s, line-lok, bla ,bla, bla.
71 COMET/289,351w heads, 12.5 TRWs, 750DP, Liberty TL, 9"/6.00s, 11.9x @112 , bla,bla,bla.

Never shoot your mouth off, unless your brain is loaded! ....I may get older, but I'll never grow up!....If you're not laughing, you're not living!  :laughing: