Skip to main content
Topic: my 2 birds (Read 8852 times) previous topic - next topic

my 2 birds

Reply #15
thanks haystack, you did a pretty good job :bowdown:

my 2 birds

Reply #16
I used the same starter when I swapped from the AOD to my T-5. Same crossmember, same aluminum driveshaft.....
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

my 2 birds

Reply #17
Yup, the f-150 flywheel and sn-95 trans require a bit more legwork then a fox setup. In retrospect, it would be way easier to just start out with a fox t-5, but they are always beat to death and expensive. I figure my whole swap cost less then $400 if I were to do it again. Used fox t-5's usually go for $300-500 by themselves and usually need work. I still say sn95 t-5 is the way to go. If my aod ever goes out in the cougar, i figure I could have the swap done in 3-4 hours now.

Eric the car guy just did an excellent tear down video on a sn-95 t-5. It actually really doesn't look like rebuilding a t-5 would be all that hard.

https://youtu.be/XREsRG9Y1mU
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

my 2 birds

Reply #18
yesterday i added the cost of a 130$ tranny, 200$ 8.8, sn95 5 stud conversion and all the junk goodies i want and with 100$ add-on's i'm at 1500$ total worth of wish list. a functionnal 5.0 sn95 starts at 2500$ here and rolling shell without engine or trans is 1000$, i think i will try to get a 1500$ parts car 5.0 HO sn95 it will be better for me because of the possibility of selling body parts i don't need and having ALL i need at home including mas conversion, HO engine, exhaust etc...

my 2 birds

Reply #19
Quote from: Haystack;453210
Eric the car guy just did an excellent tear down video on a sn-95 t-5. It actually really doesn't look like rebuilding a t-5 would be all that hard.

https://youtu.be/XREsRG9Y1mU
They aren't that bad, 20+ years ago, I repl syncro's in a '87 4cyl and rebuilt a '86 5.0 twice(I busted it again after 1st rebuild, used stronger gear set 2nd time)... Nothing really magical or mysterious about them, driving the roll pin out/in the shifter detent assembly is as much of a pain as anything...

my 2 birds

Reply #20
it's been awhile since my last post or reply cause i've been buisy, but i managed to get some parts to begin with. It's far from my original goal but at least it's going forward. In my list i got a 3.73 7.5 posi from a ranger, e7te heads, HO intake, HO camshaft, SD HO computer, mac headers, 16'' pony wheels, aluminum HO valve covers, fuel pump and i'm missing time to get 19 lbs injectors from these 2 f-150 at the junkyard. And also scored a fifth avenue dual exhaust with dynomax turbo lers for 55$ at the pick and pull, just missing some cuts and welds to be t-bird duals.

my 2 birds

Reply #21
X
X
X

my 2 birds

Reply #22
also got a 21mm mustang rear sway bar to help the 225/55zr16's

X

my 2 birds

Reply #23
I was also wondering if there is a cam out there that i could use with speed density and no eec tune, all the ones i checked were in my opinion too aggressive for such a thing and the stock HO stick is already a good one. need advice on that and maybe custom porting if there is minimal things a simple mechanic can do to his heads whitout hurting anything  :)

my 2 birds

Reply #24
With speed density the HO cam is best. I tried one of the cams that is said to work with SD (Comp 35-308-8) and it worked ok but would stall on start/deceleration on occasion. Stick with the stock HO cam. It'll have better driveability plus won't require a valve spring change like any other cam would. Plus with E7 heads and the stock HO intake any other cam than the stock HO cam will gain you virtually no power.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

my 2 birds

Reply #25
is that rose quartz metallic/ cinnabar metallic? what interior color? i was honestly starting to think that my 88 cougar was the only surviving car with that color
88 Cougar
88 T-Bird
other cars that don't apply to this forum

my 2 birds

Reply #26
brown interior with consolette and column shift, my aunt used to have that rose quartz on her cougar 1987 back in the days

my 2 birds

Reply #27
the transformation has just begun!

X

my 2 birds

Reply #28
XXX

my 2 birds

Reply #29
do someone have any recommandations for engine mounts, as you can see mine are trashed