Skip to main content
Topic: Rear springs, what's everyone using? (Read 6418 times) previous topic - next topic

Rear springs, what's everyone using?

Reply #15
Quote from: AT8 Cat;454329
All 4 were from a '03 Mustang GT 4.6L v8.

Hrmmmm.

Well, the rear of our cars is a bit heavier than the 94-04 cars, even the V8 converts. The load rating is lower on the Mustang springs, so that could be an issue. I had some #'s someplace on the stock ratings from the rear springs in my old '84 XR-7, and the load rating was pretty high.

I've been running the SN-95 v8 rear springs in the back of my TBirds/Cougars for almost 15-20 years now, and that's with a lower spring perch on the RLCA, and have had no issues.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

Reply #16
I had some #'s someplace on the stock ratings from the rear springs in my old '84 XR-7, and the load rating was pretty high.

Cross referencing the charts I posted above with the ones below shows 250 lbs/inch for the 84 XR7.  IIRC the SN-95s were right around 200.....

-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #17
Well, Load Rating is different than the Spring Rate.

On the older spring tags, you could interpolate the ratings from the numbers on the springs (They were in N and needed to be converted to lbf). I think they changed the code format in '99.

I want to say that the TBird/Cougar rear springs have, on average, a load rating of 100-200 lbs more than the Mustang ones. This is with equivalent spring rates. I seem to recall at least a 900lb load rating on the XR-7 springs.

If you have a fully optioned car and have a bunch of stuff in the trunk, you will be at the limit with Mustang rear springs.  This is why I always steered towards the V8 convert ones.  It was easier to pick the right ones when the spring tags were easy to decipher.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

Reply #18
I ended up getting some 1" aluminum spacers for the lower spring seat and that brought the back end up to a good height.  Maybe one day I'll go for the adjustable rear arms.  But now I need to deal with the front as the '03 Mustang GT springs didn't lower it much at first but now are settled in a did lower the front about 3/4", but I have to be careful because I have 8" wide rims on the front with a 245 tire and I'm sure if I go too low the tire will hit the fender.  I know where I can get some brand new factory '03 mustang mach 1 front springs, these should sit about a 1/2" lower than a regular GT spring that I have in there now.  If they don't cause tire rub should give me the right height.  Fingers crossed!
88 XR7 5.0L low mileage Florida Cat.  AOD, 8.8, headers with x-pipe and flowmaster cat-back, 3.73's, lowered 1".  1 of 421 according to Marti Report.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #19
Quote from: Chuck W;454360
that's with a lower spring perch on the RLCA, and have had no issues.

Chuck what are you talkin about with the lowered control arm?

Your stance is my new goal with my car.
Brian R.
88 2.3t Ranger
83 TC  gt40p motor,Vortech,TFS1 cam,long tubes,MS PnP,T5,8.8,17x9 Cobra 17s

Reply #20
To finish this off the 98 Mustang GT springs worked great. I had to crank the control arm perch about an inch to get the car level front to back. With the adjuster at it's lowest setting the tires were tucked into the wheel well deeper than on Chuck's car. The cool thing is there is still about 1.25 inches of height adjustment left on the spring perch. You know just in case I want to jack the rear end way into the air :hick:
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.