Skip to main content
Topic: Rear tire recommendations? (Read 1252 times) previous topic - next topic

Rear tire recommendations?

Want something with a little grip. The Eagle RS/A's I've got are getting pretty worn down, and I wasn't terribly impressed with them beforehand anyways. Was thinking of just getting a pair of Firestone Winterforces and running those year round. It's an 87, running 16" wheels. Any recommendations?

Reply #1
Why would you run winter tires year round in Texas?????

What size(s) do you have on the car?  Pretty limited selection these days in bigger 16" stuff.  If you're looking for a performance tire in something like 245/50R16, the BFG G-Force Sport Comp-2 would be the best current option.

cheers
Ed
84 Mustang SVO
95 Jaguar XJR

Reply #2
Mickey Thompson ET Street.

You want grip, wont go wrong with these.

Reply #3
Quote from: fast Ed;452176
Why would you run winter tires year round in Texas?????

What size(s) do you have on the car?  Pretty limited selection these days in bigger 16" stuff.  If you're looking for a performance tire in something like 245/50R16, the BFG G-Force Sport Comp-2 would be the best current option.

cheers
Ed
Because I want something aggressive on the rear axle. I had the Winterforces on my 1990 a few years back that spent most of its time in the south, and I was quite pleased with how well they worked as year-round tires. Not like they're going to have studs in them or anything. Really I'm just particularly tired of how the rear end tends to slide around when it gets the slightest bit wet, and even before the RS/A's got worn down they never particularly grabbed well for me. I also tend to drive down a lot of sandy/gravelly roads, so something that digs down to hard pavement/ground is particularly appealing to me.

225/55R16 is what I'm running on both axles and likely going to stay with.

Reply #4
Ah OK, the sandy/gravelly roads + winter tires makes sense.  Also take a look at the General Altimax Arctic, good traction as well as a quieter and smoother ride than the Winterforce, I've driven on both.  It's available in 225/55R16.

cheers
Ed
84 Mustang SVO
95 Jaguar XJR