Skip to main content
Topic: 87 XR7-What to do with sensors before on stock headers/after upgrade (Read 5302 times) previous topic - next topic

87 XR7-What to do with sensors before on stock headers/after upgrade

Hey guys,

I know most of you have some kind of exhaust header upgrade; I also want to do that next and get rid of the egg skillets currently coming out of the block...

But what do I have my mechanic do about the two sensors (before the  on the cast iron header) after a new set of BBK or something similar are installed? What have all of you connoisseurs done with them?

The shorty headers (probably BBK's) will be bolted up to the stock y-pipe (I'm not going to go further then just headers till after college... I already have a 40 series ler put on, so I'm looking forward to the benefits of headers.

I'm looking for whatever would be the easiest and cheapest option...

I've tried digging something up on here but haven't found anything specific enough...

P.S.
Also, any one of you been able to adjust your 28 year old throttle cable so it's not so hard... I've read on CoolCats that this is a common problem with these cars...... I'll have my mechanic check that out too eventually.... maybe it won't have to be replaced...just re-adjusted? I hope..

These are all just little things I want remedied, my car is clean otherwise....

Thanks,
Chris

Reply #1
Aftermarket headers or stock tubular Mustang (headers) won't bolt up to the stock Y-Pipe. You should buy an H-pipe then have the rest of the exhaust finished with new mid pipes to the muflers.. Oterwise, just wait til you can afford to do it all. The two sensors are the O2 sensors. They need to be installed. When converting from the cast iron exhaust manifolds to headers, one usually installs an H or X-Pipe, which has provisions for those sensors, although you may have to have the harness lengthened a few inches. No big deal.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #2
ok, I understand, thanks. The next thing then will be to check the framing beneath the car to see if it will allow for an h or x pipe (probably will).

Reply #3
It will. Most all of the members here with a 5.0 have aftermarket Fox Stang headers (of some kind or another) and the aftermarket X or H pipe. I found an H-Pipe on Ebay, brand new, three piece design, for about $140 shipped to the door, and they let you tell them how you want it.......smog tube/no smog tube, O2 sensor bungs or not.......Fit like a glove, but then, you'll still need the pipes from the H oir X to the lers. I used Stang mid pipes there, but the passenger side had to be lengthened.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #4
Right, right. After all, the cougars are 8 inches longer in wheelbase then it's fox body counterparts (extra tubing will have to be added to any fox exhaust config). I already antited the pipe extension that was added when the shorter ler was added some time ago.

So, down the road, I'd be investing in: headers, H pipe with 02 sensor holes, needed tubing for reaching the cat back, and lastly a dual cat back.

What are the Smog tubes? And their function?

Reply #5
I'll probably just get one of those combo kits... and add in the headers.

Reply #6
Smog tube = pipe from smog pump to cats.

Reply #7
can the smog tube (assuming my car has one, haven't looked yet) be left unattached if I run catless? I'd like to rid of the cats obviously if I'm redoing the entire exhaust system later on...

Reply #8
Most  catless aftermarket H & X pipes include a provision for hooking up the smog tube, even though without the cats its not really doing anything, emissions wise. If your exhaust system doesn't allow for hooking up the smog tube, I'd recommend getting a smog pump eliminator and deleting the whole system. But if you decide to leave it just dumping into the air, I don't think it would hurt anything. Haven't tried it though.

Reply #9
I deleted all my smog equipment, front the smog pump to th cats........all gone.If you get an H-Pipe with the tube, just crimp it or weld it shut. I had it left off of mine. As I stated, they wait for you to buy it before they build it. Cheap, too. Cheaper than most I have seen, and, the three piece design allows for perfect fitment.

Reply #10
Can u refer the ebay seller,  vinnie? Ill take a look tomorrow..

Reply #11
This is the one.......It fit great, no issues at all.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Mustang-Off-Road-H-Pipe-1979-1993-USA-MADE-CNC-MANDREL-BENDS-/271923865068?hash=item3f4fece5ec&vxp=mtr

Reply #12
I have this H-pipe: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-640725/overview/year/1989/make/ford/model/mustang

It's been on my Thunderbird for the past 8 years. Fit like a glove and even cleared the column shift linkage fine.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #13
Thanks for the referrals, guys. As I'm looking into what hardware will needed, would you guys suggest 02 sensor extensions and full exhaust hanging hardware? Would fresh 02 sensors be needed as well, or will my 28 year old ones be okay? Again, this thread is for my own reference for when I decide to pull the trigger on the exhaust overall (which I'm dying to do).

I'm putting together a cart on Late Model Restoration, and I'm thinking the flowmaster dump and h-pipe combo and BBK headers are most likely what I'll stick to.

Thanks

Reply #14
I'd get new O2 sensors and the O2 sensor extender harness. They do go bad with age so new ones can't hurt. I would do full tail pipes as well. I have 2.5 inch mandala bent Dyno max tails on mine for an 87 to 93 Mustang LX. They fit fine.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.