Skip to main content
Topic: 1988 2.3turbo wont rev passed 3k (Read 955 times) previous topic - next topic

1988 2.3turbo wont rev passed 3k

I have a 84 rx7 with an 88 turbocoupe motor I'm no car expert. I was driving one day(gauge showed running Rich) and suddenly lost power so I geared down and still not enough power to keep going. I figured I ran out of gas because my gas gauge doesn't work, I realized my oil was low so filled it up and filled the gas up and didn't run properly so I had it towed home. Ive tinkered with it but can't find the problem
Tested spark changed spark plugs everything is good no vacuum leaks but it won't rev passed 3 grand and sounds like it'shiznitting the rev limiter, and the turbo is still spooling up and making boost
Any ideas what it could be

Reply #1
Check it for codes, if erratic ign comes up the PIP or TFI on dist likely has a issue... Otherwise verify it has 39 psi fuel pressure, plus one pound for each  pound of boost...

Reply #2
Okay I'll look into it
I'm running 24 pounds of boost with methonal I don't know if that plays a factor
I can switch it from 15pounds with advance timing  to 15 with no advance timing and also 24psi with advance timing