Skip to main content
Topic: How hard is it to pull the oil pan on a turbo coupe 2.3l, manual trans? The reason is (Read 2440 times) previous topic - next topic

How hard is it to pull the oil pan on a turbo coupe 2.3l, manual trans? The reason is

I might be interested in buying an 87 turbo coupe. The owner says the engine has Weisco pistons, and JE forged connecting rods along with main cap studs.

Here is the sticky wicket. The guy also has another turbo 2.3l car so the receipts for the pistons/rods could be for the other car, or he might have swapped the "built" engine to his other car.

Not saying the guy is lying, or anything, but business is business, and it would really suck to get the car home only to find stock rods, and pistons after paying the premium price for the other parts.

I'm a mechanic so pulling a pan wouldn't be a huge issue if I had the car at my shop, however I need to know how hard it is as in doing it at the owners house.

The only fair way to do this is to offer the owner $100 to hold while I pull the pan. If the parts he says are in the car are in fact in the car, then the $100 goes toward the purchase of the car. However, if I pull the pan, and find stock rods, and no studs then I would get my $100 back, and reinstall the pan.

If the parts turned out not to be there, then obviously that would cast doubt on the rest of the parts that are supposed to be on the car, not to mention the machine work that was done would also be in question.

FTR, I do know that an oil pan on a 5.0l engine is a pain to pull on a Fox Mustang without jacking the engine up with an engine puller [even then with the trans bell hitting the fire wall its almost impossible to get that pan out].

Thanks in advance.

How hard is it to pull the oil pan on a turbo coupe 2.3l, manual trans? The reason is

Reply #1
From what I've heard it's a real pain to take out while the engine is in the car but it can be done
The engine will at least have to be lifted up

Another thing to consider is that for 87 turbo coupes, some came with the 4 piece oil pan gasket and some came with the 1 piece oil pan gasket.  I've encountered both on 87 TCs
The 1 pc  is all rubber and the 4 pc is rubber and cork
IIRC the 1pc has the same size bolt all around and the 4 pc has larger bolts towards the rear main and the front snout
You can guess which one will be harder to install especially since it's not a straight shot putting the pan back on
1987 T-Bird TC: 5-Spd, 5-lug conv., CHE Rear CAs, '04 Cobra wheels and 13" Brakes, Vac Assist conv: '93 Cobra BB/MC & Wilwood PV, Gutted/Knived Intakes, T3 turbo, RFE6 Mani, Stinger 3" Exhaust & Oil Feed, 255HP Walbro, Kirban AFPR, RR Cam, Esslinger Cam gear and Round Tooth Conv., Gillis Boost Valve, Speedway Dual Valve Spring,  K&N, 130a 3g Alt conv., 140mph Speedo
Running Better Than Ever :burnout:

Reply #2
That is about what I figured.

I wonder if I could get the pan pulled down far enough to see the rods, and main studs?

Reply #3
I'll tell you something that would be a lot easier: Buy one of those inspection cameras, drain the oil, stick the camera in the drain plug hole, and look around. Those inspection cameras can be had for under $100, and that's gotta be worth not having to take the pan off...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #4
Quote from: Thunder Chicken;450785
I'll tell you something that would be a lot easier: Buy one of those inspection cameras, drain the oil, stick the camera in the drain plug hole, and look around. Those inspection cameras can be had for under $100, and that's gotta be worth not having to take the pan off...

Now that is a great idea, and the owner shouldn't object either, thanks!

Reply #5
Quote from: Thunder Chicken;450785

I agree that's a genius idea
1987 T-Bird TC: 5-Spd, 5-lug conv., CHE Rear CAs, '04 Cobra wheels and 13" Brakes, Vac Assist conv: '93 Cobra BB/MC & Wilwood PV, Gutted/Knived Intakes, T3 turbo, RFE6 Mani, Stinger 3" Exhaust & Oil Feed, 255HP Walbro, Kirban AFPR, RR Cam, Esslinger Cam gear and Round Tooth Conv., Gillis Boost Valve, Speedway Dual Valve Spring,  K&N, 130a 3g Alt conv., 140mph Speedo
Running Better Than Ever :burnout:

Reply #6
that's the idea I had to post but yall done done it....