Skip to main content
Topic: Not a bad night at the track (Read 3831 times) previous topic - next topic

Not a bad night at the track

Drug the bird to TnT tonight (or would it be last night because it's past midnight?, Lol)
First pass, something was up with the nitrous system. When I bumped the button to start the burnout it almost killed the engine. I went ahead and staged with no burnout and footbraked it the best I could before hitting the transbrake. I camped out with a 2 second reaction time and left with about 7-8 psi boost (usually launch around 20 psi). Bird went 10.79@126 with a lackluster 1.62 60'.
Got back to the pits and realized I had the nitrous and fuel lines reversed at the fogger. So instead of 35 jet/nitrous and 24 jet/fuel it was the other way around. Basically drowning it with fuel when I hit the button.
Second pass was much better with a 10.36@132 with a 1.54 60'. It spun a bit too much so I dropped the tires from 12 psi to 11.5 and added one degree of timing (17 to 18 degrees).
Third pass it went 10.19@133 with a 1.48 60'
Fourth pass I decided to put just a fuzz more boost in it. My EBC uses duty cycle to control the gate and it has been set at 78% ever since Tulsa. I raised it to 82% (probably less than 1 psi gain) and made my last pass. The bird was all over the place for several hundred feet but still ran 10.20@133 with a slip n sliding 1.51 60'. Guess I need to work on some more suspension tuning.
Funny thing was on the last pass I was up against a big block fox body stang. He ran 10.12@138 but I beat him to the stripe. His reaction was .247 and mine was the oh so sweet .000...perfect light! Only done that a few times in my life, lol!
It was pretty hot out. It was 97 degrees on my first run. DA was a little over 6000ft on the first run and was down to about 5800ft on the last run.
All in all a good night. Nothing broken or leaking.
I will post up some vids later. The last run was a white knuckle ride and you definitely see it in the vid.
TC#1- 2.5T- 10.14@134....9.76@138 with a 50shot
TC#2- Turbo BBF project
TC#3- parts car

Reply #2
Jebus that thing is moving!
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #3
Looks like you might have the tire press too low and its allowing the tire to deform which is causing tire shake. You need to play with springs. What do you have for suspension?

Reply #4
Car looks great.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]:ford:87 Turbo Coupe through the floor sub frame connectors, 5.8 swap Ford racing heads Harland sharp 1.6 rockers BBK shorty swap headers 2 1/2 BBk X pipe magnaflow ler's. Megasquirt 2 with 36lbs injectors on hurricane intake with 4150 throttle body.Tremec TKO 600 Quicktime blowsheild spec stage 3 clutch. 3.73 gears and still not done

Reply #5
Just awesome to see our cars doing that!

Go Fast the first time.  The tickets the same.
86 Thunderbird 5.0.  All original good weather driver. Tbird Reg #53035
86 Thunderbird TC.  All original good weather driver.  Tbird Reg # 58555
87 Thunderbird TC.  All original good weather daily driver.  Tbird Reg # 64647

Reply #6
Quote from: Lightningbird;450175
Looks like you might have the tire press too low and its allowing the tire to deform which is causing tire shake. You need to play with springs. What do you have for suspension?
Rear susp consists of Baseline chromemoly lowers (rod end), CHE double adjustable uppers (also rod end), Stock location UPR coilovers (150lb springs) with Strange 10 way shocks set to the middle setting. 4.10 rear gear.
Front consists of complete UPR chromemoly tubular front end with coilovers (150lb springs) and Lakewood 90/10 struts.
TC#2- Turbo BBF project
TC#3- parts car

Reply #7
thats almost the same setup on my Bird with exception that I have a Chassis Engineering chromemoly anti-sway bar and end links. I am pulling 1.29-1.33 short times depending upon track prep. I do have the same rear shocks, but have them set full soft drivers side and 2 clicks more stiff on passenger side. The car launches straight and level with the tires at about 2.5-3 feet high in the air. Your T-Bird looks very quick and runs quite impressively especially since it is a 2.3 turbo car. Try setting the shocks a little softer with a bit more tire pressure (13-14 psi). You once told me that you are using a transbrake in a C4, are you leaving on the brake with a 2 step? If so what kind of RPM are you leaving at? I'm assuming its close to 3000-3500 to overcome the lack of torque and to build full boost off the line.

Reply #8
wow thats awesome! great runs, congrats!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #9
Forgot to mention, I do have a Team Z anti roll bar in the back as well. Most passes are pretty straight. I think I was a little out of the groove on that pass.
I do leave off the brake. My 2 step is set at 4800 and the converter flashes to 5500-5600. Launch boost is about 20-21psi with max boost set at 33psi.
Here is a better vid of how the car usually leaves. This was at the TF race in Tulsa last year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWskktSZdBE
TC#2- Turbo BBF project
TC#3- parts car