Skip to main content
Topic: 1984 thunderbird suspension help please advise.. (Read 4797 times) previous topic - next topic

1984 thunderbird suspension help please advise..

Reply #15
I also agree, but with stock rear springs and SN-95 front springs, we're not talking about a little rake, we're talking "rat fink" rake, and that look went out in the 70's.  Without C/C plates, that setup sets you at just about 0 degrees caster, and that makes for an itchy steering wheel and no on-center feel whatsoever.

Reply #16
Lol that's why I'm confused on what to do.should I leave it alone and stick the aftermarket rims and tires on and just ride it as is or shoot a set of shock and springs on too.someone put me in the right direction.i have 5-6 weeks until I drive it due to my foot healing from surgery Tuesday so I have a lil while to gather parts or have stuff delivered.and enjoy it for a couple months and probably turn around and sell it instead of storing it or storing it and coming out with my 85 procharger stand that I can't drive now due to my clutch foot healing lol.

Reply #17
If you think you may sell it maybe just go with the 10 holes & tires, shock/struts and see how it feels at that point.
87 Tbird LX w/Factory floor shifter:D   3G upgrade. Tinted Windows...85 Mustang GT steering wheel(non-cruise) 17'' Saleen SC style wheels,Front/Rear TC sway bars/poly bushings & Mustang GT steering rack...'05 Mustang V6 springs...93 Cobra MC & booster, MM adjustable C/C plates,  Work  In  Progress.......  ( On The Shelf---HO computer, 19lb injectors, HO cam, BBK headers, Explorer Intake, Cold Air Intake ,Phantom Gauges, Stinger stainless exhaust pipes )
 S O L D

Reply #18
Quote from: ISTLCRUZ;449881
If you think you may sell it maybe just go with the 10 holes & tires, shock/struts and see how it feels at that point.
I agree.is there a size tire you recommend for the 10 holes like the 235/60 some are saying and what shock setup ruts do you think(Oem,aftermarket)thank you

Reply #19
FWIW, here are the changes I've made to my '85 Cougar:
Fox Mustang ('87-'93) GT sway bars, SN95 Cobra springs ('98, I think.) Fox Mustang GT steering rack. SN95 K-member brace, KYB front struts, Motorcraft gas-charged rear shocks. I was a little concerned that the shocks/struts would be too soft, but they work OK. Along with 225/55/R16 tires on TC rims, the handling has been transformed. Ride is still very comfortable, but the soft floaty feel is all gone. It hustles nicely through corners now. 3.45:1 rear gears and a limited slip differential (from a Ranger P.U.) are not strictly suspension improvements, but work together with them to make the car more pleasant to drive. Bigger brakes are next on the list.
P.S. 225/60/15 is the stock size tire for the 10 hole rims, but 235s will fit and put a bit more rubber on the road. Really just a matter of personal preference.

Reply #20
Quote from: cj750;450077
FWIW, here are the changes I've made to my '85 Cougar:
Fox Mustang ('87-'93) GT sway bars, SN95 Cobra springs ('98, I think.) Fox Mustang GT steering rack. SN95 K-member brace, KYB front struts, Motorcraft gas-charged rear shocks. I was a little concerned that the shocks/struts would be too soft, but they work OK. Along with 225/55/R16 tires on TC rims, the handling has been transformed. Ride is still very comfortable, but the soft floaty feel is all gone. It hustles nicely through corners now. 3.45:1 rear gears and a limited slip differential (from a Ranger P.U.) are not strictly suspension improvements, but work together with them to make the car more pleasant to drive. Bigger brakes are next on the list.
P.S. 225/60/15 is the stock size tire for the 10 hole rims, but 235s will fit and put a bit more rubber on the road. Really just a matter of personal preference.

Thank you so much for the info..

Reply #21
Try finding 225/60's on a 15" rim. They wanted $450 for two. That's why i went with 235/60's. They were about 100.a piece.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #22
Quote from: Haystack;450096
Try finding 225/60's on a 15" rim. They wanted $450 for two. That's why i went with 235/60's. They were about 100.a piece.

I'm not sure where you normally shop for tires, but you can get 225/60/15s shipped to your door for 75 bucks a piece, FWIW. These are what I run on my '85 Cougar (in size 225/55/16) and they work great.
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireDetail.do?ra=searchTiresBySize.do&fl=&pc=17353&counter=0&ar=60&rd=15&cs=225

Reply #23
Quote from: cj750;450136
I'm not sure where you normally shop for tires, but you can get 225/60/15s shipped to your door for 75 bucks a piece, FWIW. These are what I run on my '85 Cougar (in size 225/55/16) and they work great.
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireDetail.do?ra=searchTiresBySize.do&fl=&pc=17353&counter=0&ar=60&rd=15&cs=225

Thank you for the research.i like discount tire direct.i will definitely look into the tire and size difference