Skip to main content
Topic: Any one seen these yet? (Read 1732 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Any one seen these yet?

Reply #2
Yes I have. :( And I've been drooling ever since. , but I hate the green guages in Fords.

Reply #3
 Indigo looks nice :P

Reply #4
I've seen 'em, but until the f*cktards that make 'em start making 'em in 140MPH speedo versions I've got no interest...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #5
That or the 200km. as well as the 7k RPM gauge...

Reply #6
Quote from: Thunder Chicken
I've seen 'em, but until the f*cktards that make 'em start making 'em in 140MPH speedo versions I've got no interest...

shiznit! I didn't even think about the speedo! :mad:

Reply #8
They're nice.  And at least SOMEONE is making SOMETHING for the Fox Tbirds and/or Cougars.  140MPH or not.  Besides, why would you manufacture a product to cater to a very small fraction of an already unprofitable market?  That makes no business sense.
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0

Reply #9
What he said.

Reply #10
Besides, why would you manufacture a product to cater to a very small fraction of an already unprofitable market? That makes no business sense.

Because it is very easy to convert the 85 MPH speedo into a 140, and I would bet he'd sell MORE faces if he made a 140 available because of that fact. Most people that own and modify these cars is aware of the easy 140MPG upgrade through either here or NATO. Many people have not yet done the mod because of the hardest part, making a functional face.

If you were to sell an EL 140 MPH speedo face on ebay and mention in the auction how easy it is to upgrade your 85MPH unit into a 140, and even mention that you'll include instructions on how to do so (and what the hell, for the sake of a quarter, the part required as well), plus mention the fact that some fools will pay upwards of $300 for a factory 140 part, I think you'd easily outsell the 85MPH unit.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #11
I doubt it.  How many of your sequential turn signal units do you sell specifically for Fox Tbirds and Cougars?  I remember you mentioning once that if it wasn't for all of the other cars with three bulbs per side then you would not sell that many.  Why not?  It's cool.  It's relatively easy to install.  It's a quality built unit, much better than the others that are out there. 

I think there are a few people on this board that know how to make an 85 MPH speedo into a 140.  But there are fewer that actually have the technical ability or the desire to disassemble the instrument cluster and speedometer to replace the component that needs to be replaced in order to convert the gauge.  They represent the minority of people that drive old Tbirds and Cougars.  The vast majority of people that drive these cars are not enthusiasts.  They just have a cheap beater that gets them from A to B. 

So no, even if this guy started selling EL 140MPH speedo faces, or clusters without the boost gauge and with the V8 tach, he still wouldn't sell that many.

Think about it.  The huge majority of TC's that are still on the roads have 85 MPH speedos.  He's trying to corner the biggest market.  The casual person who drives a TC, is not a big enthusiast, but thinks those glowing gauges would look good in his car.
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0

Reply #12
I dunno, I still say that if somebody could sell a single 140MPH speedometer for over $300, somebody else could sell 20 140 MPh EL faces for $30 apiece. And people sell 140MPH speedos for over $300 regularly on eBay, so there must be some enthusiasts out there. Hell, NATO's membership is probably 10 times the membership of this board (I haven't been there in ages, I don't know their membership), and people like Bob Lee and  Gillis make money selling more expensive (and more complicated, and in the case of Bob Lee, far more expensive) parts to Turbo Coupe owners, so there must be a few enthusiasts in our ranks.

Remember also that he would only have to make speedo faces - the rest of the kit could be taken directly from the 85MPH speedo kit. I agree that there probably wouldn't be much of a market for the V8 tach since it was only produced one year and in limited quantities, but I do think a 140 speedo would do well. I even offered to buy 50 of them from the guy if he'd make 'em (I would then resell them), and I offered him free advertising on this messageboard and mentioned that I'd pimp them on other sites, but he didn't even bother replying to my email (hence the "f*cktard" comment earlier). By "he", I mean all of the sellers that sell this same kit under various user names. I've written them all, got no reply from any of them. I know they don't make their own parts but they have no interest in letting me know who does make them, even though if I could get the manufacturer on track the sellers would have more product. So f*ck 'em :D

Reply #13
I wonder how many of those 20 hypothetical buyers would be buying it because they stupidly think that it'll convert their speedo to a 140 just because it's printed that way.. no matter how many warnings to the contrary are on the auctions. Dealing with even one or two people like that can be frustrating enough to make it not worth the 20 sales.

Reply #14
I've got them in my '88 TC and they are pretty cool.  Even got a comment from a cop as he was giving me a ticket.