Skip to main content
Topic: What in the heck is this thing? (Read 2711 times) previous topic - next topic

What in the heck is this thing?

I was fishing around in the passenger side fender of my 1985 Thunderbird and I found this thing...

X

What in the world is this for :dunno:
I thought someone put it in the fender and forgot about or something. Definitely an odd thing to have in a fender I think.
1985 Muscle Car V8 Thunderbird
tbirdregistry.com - #56919
Lorain, OH. Assembly #151041
811 TBirds followed Mine

1988 Thunderbird V6
tbirdregistry.com - #80084
Lorain, OH. Assembly #111106

Reply #1
It's a vacuum reservoir, so your vacuum operated accessories will continue to work when going up hills. Count yourself lucky - older Fords used an apple juice can (I think the F150 used them right into the 90's)
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #2
Almost all the old cars used those coffee cans.

You SHOULD have TWO reservoirs provided you have cruise control which IIRC that round one is for.  The other one will have the TAB/TAD/EGR connected to it.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #4
ive often wondered if our cars could benefit from the vac storage container being a tad larger????  this is probably a technical answer that's going to be way over my head.

Reply #5
My '92 F truck had the "tomater" juice can, too....I guess you can say the Tbird had balls. Or one, anyway.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #6
my 88 E250 had a can.... but it was a Hi-C can  :hick:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #7
My '83 Bird has the can and it is still in use today.  With the motor I have in it now I am not sure what good it does but its still there and does not leak.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #8
My 86 has a plastic ball in the engine bay, and it is the first time I've ever laid eyes on one. I seem to vaguely remember on under the fender by the cruise control stuff on a car i had, but not sure.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #9
Thanks guys, So I guess I need to keep this installed?,  :dunno: ...even though I no longer have an air pump on the car?  It seems to be broken off from it's mount, but repairable and I think it was connected to a check valve then to the vacuum tree on the firewall. Probably check a vacuum mapping to be sure it is correctly hosed up.

Now, I also found a square type of canister and made of plastic if I am not mistaken. I had to remove it because it looked really bad, almost like rats were eating it or there was a hornet nest in it or something. That is just to show how bad it was deteriorated. It no longer was able to be a sealed container because of all the damage it had on it. The box was attached on passenger side front lower engine bay and almost touching the radiator. Reminded me a vapor collector for the fuel tank, which throws pressure vapors building in the fuel tank  down the engine while running.
If this is what that was, then I will need to locate a new one for it so it can continue to depressurize the fuel tank. My truck uses one with a check valve in the engine bay that releases the vapors from the tank when it reaches the set amount on the check valve. I figure it lessons the big vapor release of fuel vapor into the atmosphere when removing the gas cap at a gas station. I am still looking around for the use of this square one.

My right side fender also has a fiberglass insulation inside it. The plastic inner fender needs a few repairs to get it sealed.
1985 Muscle Car V8 Thunderbird
tbirdregistry.com - #56919
Lorain, OH. Assembly #151041
811 TBirds followed Mine

1988 Thunderbird V6
tbirdregistry.com - #80084
Lorain, OH. Assembly #111106

Reply #10
The lower square one near the radiator is a carbon canister for fuel vapors.  I don't have mine hooked up at the moment, and haven't noticed any fuel smells or worse fuel mileage.

Reply #11
I once had a customer with an Explorer who would lose control of his HVAC controls (all vac) going up one particular long and steep hill.  The only solution was to add an additional reservoir.  Never saw him again.

Reply #12
yes you must keep the vac canister,, can replace with any type that you can find from any car that has something of the same size or larger.
vac canister has nothing to do with smog pump at all... well I take that back the white and black vac lines that open / close the smog tubing valves rely on stored vac yet other than that you need the canister for manual hvac controls, map sensor and anything else with a vac line that you depend on.