Skip to main content
Topic: My new 4 eye Turbo (Read 6938 times) previous topic - next topic

My new 4 eye Turbo

Reply #15
Unbelievable find man!  The interior quality kills me and it still has the dealer sticker on the trunk lid...what a find.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

My new 4 eye Turbo

Reply #16
Very nice find, and I am liking the ground effect kit also

My new 4 eye Turbo

Reply #17
Thank you to all for the kind words, and if you couldn't tell, I am super excited about this car. 
Quote from: Thunder Chicken;447655
That is awesome, and so 80's with the body kit and pinstriping. I'd love to find something like that

It is totally 80's.  Made the cool factor that much more for me.  I hate it but I have to wait till Wednesday to get the car licensed so I can even drive it.  I don't antite a ton of miles put on it but I do want to drive it around and enjoy the car.

Quote from: fast Ed;447660
Nice find.  I'm trying to remember who sold that body kit and grill, was it Kamei?

I think Trim Line made the body kit.  It has the sticker in the drivers side quarter window. X

Quote from: mercury-man;447664
Nice new ride John. :headbang:

Thanks Dan.  I may meet you someday at a show.  Maybe park next to the cougar?  LOL

Quote from: BCA;447659
I see that this car has a smooth inlet tube off of the turbo vs. a finned tube. Does your other '86 have a smooth or a finned tube?
Does it still have it's yellow build date stamp underhood?

My other 86 shown there is a V8.    The 88 is a turbo but they were different then.  Guess I didn't know there were two different kinds.  I have looked all over the engine compartment and I don't see a yellow build sticker so I'd have to say no to that.  Door panel says 3/86 though.  There is a metal tag but I don't think that is what your referring to.  Is there someplace specific to look or is it in plain sight?

Go Fast the first time.  The tickets the same.
86 Thunderbird 5.0.  All original good weather driver. Tbird Reg #53035
86 Thunderbird TC.  All original good weather driver.  Tbird Reg # 58555
87 Thunderbird TC.  All original good weather daily driver.  Tbird Reg # 64647

My new 4 eye Turbo

Reply #18
I went through it today and checked all fluids.    All fluids look good, but I thought I would get them all changed just to be safe.  I don't like the condition of the belts, I am guessing they are original by the looks of them.  Lots of cracks in them.  Need a couple of minor light bulbs but really no big issue.      Spent some time and took the door apart today as well.  Super careful taking that door panel apart.  I believe my window issue is a bad motor.  The motor turns on but makes no effort at all to move that big gear arm in there that moves the window up and down.  Doesn't even attempt to move it.  Yesterday I tried helping the window down that was why it moved.  But it wouldn't go up.  I had to help it up.  Well today same issue.  I can move the window and that gear arm pretty easily and I can see in there that the gear on the motor is still attached to the gear on the arm of the mechanism.  So I may be wrong as I don't have a ton of experience with these motors but I am guessing that the motor is the issue.    I'll be looking for a new window motor tomorrow.  Does not look fun changing it though.  Need someone with smaller hands than mine.

My new 4 eye Turbo

Reply #19
Coolcats has a write up on them, its usually the three little plastic balls inside the regulator.

While you have it apart, clean and grease everything that moves. I like white lithium grease for that application, but not sure if it is the recommended lube. Helped immensely on mine though.

Another nice thing about the 86 glass, it has a hole that you can stick a bolt through if the window ever comes off of the tracks.

Personally, I've given up on power or automatic anything. I have deleted every power option on my 86, and when the trans lets go, its gonna get swapped to a t-5.

Nice score! Im digging the 80's look.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

My new 4 eye Turbo

Reply #20
Quote from: My10-80;447685
My other 86 shown there is a V8.    The 88 is a turbo but they were different then.  Guess I didn't know there were two different kinds.  I have looked all over the engine compartment and I don't see a yellow build sticker so I'd have to say no to that.  Door panel says 3/86 though.  There is a metal tag but I don't think that is what your referring to.  Is there someplace specific to look or is it in plain sight?

Yeah, pretty obvious to me now, I guess I just had turbo on the brain. :hick:
This is what the finned ones look like. This pic is from another '86 car. My '85 car (6/19/85 build date) also had the finned tube.
X

The date stamp was a small yellow ink stamp. On most '85/'86 cars it was on the driver side strut tower. It could also be on the radiator support.
Here is an example of one on an '88 Turbo Coupe showing a build date of June 28th.
X
1985 Mercury Cougar XR-7 - 5-speed 
One of 1,246 built

My new 4 eye Turbo

Reply #21
Quote from: fast Ed;447660
Nice find.  I'm trying to remember who sold that body kit and grill, was it Kamei?

It was made by Spoilers Plus out of Blauvelt, NY. They were also the supplier of the Ford Motorsport kits.

X
One of 1,246 built

My new 4 eye Turbo

Reply #22
Quote from: BCA;447696
The date stamp was a small yellow ink stamp. On most '85/'86 cars it was on the driver side strut tower. It could also be on the radiator support.
Here is an example of one on an '88 Turbo Coupe showing a build date of June 28th.

Yeah, I went out and looked I don't see anything like that yellow build stamp.  The owner was always cleaning the car I wonder if it disappeared over the years. 

Quote from: BCA;447696
It was made by Spoilers Plus out of Blauvelt, NY. They were also the supplier of the Ford Motorsport kits.

Yep, that's it.  Thanks for the Info.  Helps me know more about the car.  I have a spare front air dam that came with the car.  Has a crack in it where he hit a puppies early in the cars life.  He kept it and gave it to me.    I have it tucked safely away just in case.    Looking at your photo's, I like the red car there at the top.  Those gold centered wheels really set it apart.

My new 4 eye Turbo

Reply #23
NICE score OP!  I love the period 1980's add-ons.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

My new 4 eye Turbo

Reply #24
Quote from: My10-80;447723
Yeah, I went out and looked I don't see anything like that yellow build stamp.  The owner was always cleaning the car I wonder if it disappeared over the years.

Not surprising, I know from experience that it could easily be wiped away with some Simple Green. :(
One of 1,246 built

My new 4 eye Turbo

Reply #25
Well tonight I got off work early enough that I tore the window motor out of the drivers door.  I think you have to be double jointed or something to get in there.  Finally got it out of there and used the rebuild kit that I had purchased.  When I opened it up, nothing but broken plastic in there.  Nothing at all left of those plastic pins.    got the motor cleaned up and re assembled.  Now to get it put back in place.  I wish I could twitch my nose and have it all be done.  Don't know how I'm going to get my meat hooks in there to start those screws.  Thank God for the magnet I guess.  Used it about 20 times tonight.

My new 4 eye Turbo

Reply #26
If you look on the door sheet metal directly in front of the power window motor there are some dimples right where the bolts are that hold the motor in place. Drill this out with a large enough bit to pass a 1/4" extension and I think you can figure it out from there. Once done you simply use plastic plugs in the holes if they show past the door panel.

http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?454-window-motor-replacement-1986

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

My new 4 eye Turbo

Reply #27
Thanks Darren, that sure would have been easier.  I've drilled the holes out tonight.  Didn't have time to put the motor back in but I'm sure with the holes drilled out it will be an easier task.  I hope to get to it in the next day or so after work.  Will let you know.

My new 4 eye Turbo

Reply #28
Motor went right in.    Thanks for the advice.    I am excited now as the window works just as if new.  Runs up and down now with no hesitation, no jumpy movements nothing.  Smooth as glass so to speak.    Now its time to drive the car.