Skip to main content
Topic: What cam bearings were used for E303 install in 302 (Read 4633 times) previous topic - next topic

What cam bearings were used for E303 install in 302

Reply #15
The E6 heads are quite possibly the worst heads put on a 302/5.0 from the factory. If you still have the E5 heads use them instead of the E6 heads. The E6 heads actually flow less air than the E5 heads.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #16
The 86-88s.o. blocks not only have worse heads, but they also have no valve releifs in the pistons, decreasing ptv compared to basically any other sbf made.

Id clean up the e5's or swap to e7's. If you want oem reliability and performance, the gt40 or gt40p heads are the best factory heads, p heads require specific headers.

Make sure when you button everything up, you check piston to valve. I personally would still stick with the h.o. cam over the e cam "upgrade", but the ecam would likely be better on a carbed motor, assuming valves clear.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #17
Btw, a e6 to e7 swap generally gains anywhere from 5-15hp with no other changes according to coolcats.net.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #18
OP, I'd really suggest some HO pistons while you've got the block that far apart. I have a set from an HO that I took apart...with them in the block, the e cam will not be an issue. As mentioned, I'd be very leery of the e cam with the flat tops. Not trying to spin you for a buck...but would hate to see a fresh engine ruined..

If you were closer, I'd make you a deal on a solid and complete HO engine...needs a rebuild though, but it's all there, minus headers.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6