Skip to main content
Topic: Gray smoke.... (Read 6747 times) previous topic - next topic

Gray smoke....

Reply #15
Compression test only tells you if you have good compression.  If you do not have good compression it could be the piston rings, head gasket, exhaust valve not sealing, or intake valve no sealing.  With the valves that could be either the mechanical seal between the valve and the valve seat, weak valve spring, incorrect installation of the valve spring (install height), pushrod length issue, or incorrectly adjusted rocker arm.

A leak down test is a more robust test but not everyone has access to one of those.

I think it is an issue of too much fuel however that may be the case.  What is the temperature setting on the thermostat you are using?

Read the second paragraph on this site as there are some issues with the Cobra EEC.  Also, read the fourth paragraph as it appears that the MAF from a 94-95 GT or Cobra can also be used with the X3Z EEC:

http://webpages.charter.net/darrell1/mustang_efi.html

I did a little more digging around and this is what we all know, the size of the injector is programmed into the EEC and the transfer function of the MAF is programmed into the EEC.  The X3Z is expecting 24lb/hr injectors and an OEM 70mm MAF.  The 70mm MAF's from the 93 Cobra, the 94-95 Cobra, and the 94-95 GT's are all 70mm and will work with the X3Z EEC as it is expecting an OEM transfer function from a 70mm MAF.  Hopefully that will help as you can go scour the yards for a back up MAF and see if that helps any.  Should be able to get a GT MAF for under $50 like here:

http://forums.corral.net/forums/fuel-system-related/1872857-oem-maf-95-mustang-gt.html

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Gray smoke....

Reply #16
As long as he's running a 180* thermostat or 190* thermostat he should be fine. I've been running a 180* for years with no issue.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Gray smoke....

Reply #17
Hey Vinnie, you keep goin back to rocker adjustment If your to tight it will run like , If your loose they will chatter loud. With what you put in they probably will  be louder than a normal set up. High ramp rates stiff springs "noise". Did you buy the $200 Lifters That were recommended for the cam?  There close to being a solid set up. I can send you my leak down tester if you want to borrow it. If I can help you anyway let me know.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Gray smoke....

Reply #18
The EEC is expecting ECT temps that correlate with a 190 degree t-stat however a 180 degree t-stat will work as well. The problem is that these processors are over 20 years old and have a limited amount of processing power. When we provide inputs that are out of the expected range the EEC was originally programmed for the EEC goes into adaptive strategy mode which uses up more processor power so it limits what the EEC can do the more we drive it to use the adaptive strategy. That is all I wanted to point out with my t-stat comment for Vinnie.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Gray smoke....

Reply #19
I have a 192 degree thermostat in right now. I also have a 180 in the drawer. I do have the X3Z ecm, matching MAF and 24lb injectors. I also believe it's a fuel matter, and I was really thinking about a vacuum leak as Thunderjet mentioned to me. I will re-do the intake gaskets when the Tmoss intake gets here.

Kitz, I'll keep the checker in mind, but hang tight on that. s far as rockers, I ended up going with Scorpions. Brand new. Chatter may just be something that "IS".
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Gray smoke....

Reply #20
When you swap lower intake take a picture of what the gasket looks like and/or if you have any oil in the lower intake runners. It could be sucking air from the lifter valley if the intake gaskets shifted, causing a lean condition and the computer to compensate by richening up the mixture.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Gray smoke....

Reply #21
I'll do it. I'll grab a few pics of the whole ordeal....I mean "process". LOL.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Gray smoke....

Reply #22
I'd almost suggest swapping the FPR first...as it's less work. Just a hunch...but likely not the problem. Hope it is though, for your piece of mind.
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Gray smoke....

Reply #23
It's going to be swapped as well.

Gray smoke....

Reply #24
Maybe the rear lifter valley gasket is popped out just enough to cause vacuum leak? Just a thought.
1988 Mercury cougar XR7- 302 bored .030 over, gt40p heads, F303, AlexsParts spring and seal kit, explorer upper and lower intake, 70mm tb, maf conversion, 75mm maf, fenderwell cai, 24 lb injectors, T5 conversion, bbk h pipe, Slp lm, 3.73 rear, 4 wheel disc conversion, 5 lug conversion. :D :D

Gray smoke....

Reply #25
Did you ever pull codes off this car?
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Gray smoke....

Reply #26
Under hard accel there should be almost no vacuum, I think you're barking up the wrong tree with intake gaskets and fuel pressure regulators.  I think that's wasting a lot of time Vinnie doesn't have.  You need time on a dyno with a gas buttstuffyzer up the tail pipes.  That will tell you what's what.

Gray smoke....

Reply #27
due to work and no time, I haven't done much since this post. Codes are on my list as well...literally, I have a list of things to do.It seems as though when I have things like this I need to tend to, it always happens at the last minute before I go back to work, then the weather starts to get bad. The car is running, so I will be addressing all of the ideas tossed my way, starting with the most external. Then working inward. I wonder about rings. just not sure. Wouldn't they be bad all the time, and not just under hard acceleration? I have a spare Explorer 5.0 in the garage. Thinking about going through it...new rings, bearings, timing chain, etc. It feels tight and smooth, great cross hatching. But in the mean time I am going to figure out why this engine is doing what it is doing.

Gray smoke....

Reply #28
Vinnie, Does it run good? Except the smoke?
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Gray smoke....

Reply #29
Quote from: TheFoeYouKnow;443673
Under hard accel there should be almost no vacuum, I think you're barking up the wrong tree with intake gaskets and fuel pressure regulators.  I think that's wasting a lot of time Vinnie doesn't have.  You need time on a dyno with a gas buttstuffyzer up the tail pipes.  That will tell you what's what.

I got to agree, he changed so much, it's hard to but blame in one spot or other. Put big heads on custom cam,and so on. To the point it needs to be tuned.