Skip to main content
Topic: A9L T5 and NSS wiring (Read 5691 times) previous topic - next topic

A9L T5 and NSS wiring

Greetings, I've come here in search for answers to many questions, and I've always been very satisfied with the results. I just joined recently and have very much enjoyed reading all the posts and answers. However I have a question for the many minds on here. I have an 88 XR7, and I had it carbed, but I'm in the process of bringing it back to efi. I put a T5 in it with an A9L and maf conversion. I'm just waiting on a few more parts to come in, then I can fire her up. (Hopefully) my question is do I need to plug in a neutral sensing switch in order for my car to run? (I still have aod nss harness in car. With reverse lights and vss hooked up) do I need to wire in a t5 harness? What about a clutch safety switch? I have searched for this exact scenario, but I can't seem to find an answer. Hopefully you guys can help me out. Thank you for any information you may have. I look forward to getting her up and running again.
1988 Mercury cougar XR7- 302 bored .030 over, gt40p heads, F303, AlexsParts spring and seal kit, explorer upper and lower intake, 70mm tb, maf conversion, 75mm maf, fenderwell cai, 24 lb injectors, T5 conversion, bbk h pipe, Slp lm, 3.73 rear, 4 wheel disc conversion, 5 lug conversion. :D :D

A9L T5 and NSS wiring

Reply #1
Yeah, you'll want a T5 harness if you want reverse lights and to not be able to start the car in gear. The neutral safety switch is part of that, and there's also a little switch on the clutch pedal linkage under the dash that prevents the car from being able to crank while the pedal is up, but that should already be on the pedal assembly.

I'm fairly sure any T5 harness would work, be it from a 2.3 mustang, 5.0, or even a TC.

I also believe you may be able to get the T5 harness from late model restoration. I need to check, as I need one myself.

Also, one other thing...I've read somewhere that if you change EEC's, you'll want the proper O2 sensor harness to match. In short, an O2 harness from an AOD car used on a manual car WITH an A9L eec for example..wiull basically ruin the EEC.
Let me dig up the relevant info and link it here. :)

Here's the thread with the info. Might be something to consider. When I did my swap in the Tbird...I carried over everything from the Mustang donor..engine, transmission, and O2 wiring along with the EEC, so I didn't have any issues. If you don't run O2's just leave the harness unhooked and you should be fine..
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

A9L T5 and NSS wiring

Reply #2
Nss can be jumped if desired. I did this on my 87 bird and it worked fine.

The fox cars have a sensor on the t-5 top case cover that has a neutral sensor in it, and there are two different sensors on the clutch pedal. Mine were all broken or missing and i used a an-95 t-5, so i just jumped the nss.

The stock aod vss should swap over, but you might need to change out teeth.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

A9L T5 and NSS wiring

Reply #3
The AOD VSS can be used in the T5, but it's not ideal. The proper ones are cheap enough on ebay..might as well get the tire size and rear gear calculator out and figure up what gears you need for the speedo drive and the driven gears. These are in the transmission, BTW, for those who've never changed them.

Aerocoupe posted a link to a ed good calculator a couple of days ago..I'd find it, but I'm about to go to bed..barely keep my eyes open. Long day of cuttin' wood behind me..I'm beat.
'98 Explorer 5.0

A9L T5 and NSS wiring

Reply #4
Hey thanks for the replies. I was wondering about the O2 sensor harness swap as well, (briefly read about it) and my question about that would be will that mustang O2 harness hook right up, and be plug and play? The pictures I've looked at seem to have the right connector. Just making sure is all.

About the VSS, I was incorrect on my original question. I asked about using an aod VSS, but I am actually using the VSS that came with the trans. (Got the thing used off Craigslist) I got the 3.73 speedo sensor gear (im for the sensor and the corresponding gear for inside the transmission from latemodelresto.
1988 Mercury cougar XR7- 302 bored .030 over, gt40p heads, F303, AlexsParts spring and seal kit, explorer upper and lower intake, 70mm tb, maf conversion, 75mm maf, fenderwell cai, 24 lb injectors, T5 conversion, bbk h pipe, Slp lm, 3.73 rear, 4 wheel disc conversion, 5 lug conversion. :D :D

A9L T5 and NSS wiring

Reply #5
Quote from: Haystack;443429
Nss can be jumped if desired. I did this on my 87 bird and it worked fine.

The fox cars have a sensor on the t-5 top case cover that has a neutral sensor in it, and there are two different sensors on the clutch pedal. Mine were all broken or missing and i used a an-95 t-5, so i just jumped the nss.

Was your 87 converted to Mass Air Haystack? I just thought because mine is and I'm using an A9L, I thought that if I jumped the Nss, then it could cause problems and faults. But I'm not sure on it because it's my first time tackling this sort of thing. Hehehe. :D

A9L T5 and NSS wiring

Reply #6
Nope, stock s.o., no real mods done.

Hooking up the nss can't hurt, but i wouldn't call it a requirement. Sbftech has a few very in depth threads on the nss and how it effects the computer. Essentially it can cause a hunting and missing idle. The car can think its in gear if it is left open, which will cause it to raise idle erratically.

On my stock 5.0 s.o., it made absolutely no difference, except i could start the car. Some cars are the same, some need it hooked up. For a quick drive around the block, it wouldn't bother me one bit.
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.

A9L T5 and NSS wiring

Reply #7
Alright. Thank you for the tips

A9L T5 and NSS wiring

Reply #8
That might be why my HO swapped Sport had the idle that hunted..or my TPS could've been fritzing...who knows. Good info, though :)
'98 Explorer 5.0

A9L T5 and NSS wiring

Reply #9
Alright, I hate to keep bringing this up, but I'm still a little lost in my T5 swap. I have on order a t5 wiring harness, and I know how I will hook it up once it gets here, and I did aquire an O2 harness out of a manual trans mustang, so that is now installed. Im thinking/hoping/praying I can hook up manual O2 harness, manual trans harness, A9L, and clutch safety switches on clutch pedal, and get my T5 car to work like  manual! Woohoo!! ��

Here's the trouble spot.... I can't seem to find the jumpers wires to hook to the clutch pedal. I believe there should be two separate jumper end harnesses, one behind the radio and climate control, and one between the fuse box and drivers side kick panel. This is according to the diagram in the back of my Haynes manual anyways. However, when I look I cannot seem to find a jumper wire behind the radio coming out of the main dash harness, and on the drivers side I found a large 12 pin connector that has 2 jumper wires on the other side. I don't know if these two wires are the ones I want or not.
X
 Has anyone ever done this pedal switch hookup on one of your cars? If so, how were the jumpers laid out?
Once again, any help or pointers, or constructive criticism is greatly appreciated. Hehe ��
 Thank you ahead of time

A9L T5 and NSS wiring

Reply #10
Vinnietbird did the T5 swap in his car with MAF. He may have some insight into what you're doing.

I did a MAF swap on my car but went the more expensive route of beefing up the AOD.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

A9L T5 and NSS wiring

Reply #11
I didn't connect the NSS switch for the clutch. I just did the swap and nevr had an issue.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

A9L T5 and NSS wiring

Reply #12
Oh ok. So you don't need it then? That was gonna be my next question. Do I even need to hook up any sensors that are on the pedal assembly? Because I'll have the T5 NGS hooked up, I guess that's all the computer needs to see. Thanks for the help.

A9L T5 and NSS wiring

Reply #13
Hey Vinnie, what transmission harness did you use on your Car? A manual harness or auto? And doesn't the auto have 6 wires and the manual have 8? Just curious how you did you wiring. And are you running an A9P right?

A9L T5 and NSS wiring

Reply #14
Read this.

http://www.eectuning.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=99958
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.