Skip to main content
Topic: gas leak (Read 2358 times) previous topic - next topic

gas leak

new to the site. on my 88 T/C, there is a part attatched to the fuel rail next to the shrader valve. what is this part called? the gasket is leaking . none of the parts store have a pic of it, don't know what it's name is so I can't order it. what is this thing called!

gas leak

Reply #1
Is it round, with a vacuum hose on top? If so, it's the fuel pressure regulator.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

gas leak

Reply #3
it's the same diameter but not as tall, no vac hose. reg is on front side of throttle body. this part is on the rear of the throttle body next to the schrader valve. I was told it might be a pressure dampner.

gas leak

Reply #4
Post a picture.

Link it from photobycket if you can't get it to upload.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

gas leak

Reply #5
not near the car right now. I'm gonna make a gasket from gasket material and fix it if i can't find it locally. gonna check my local Ford dealer tomarrow.

gas leak

Reply #6
I'm looking at the Ford parts catalogue now, and there is a pulse damper on the fuel rail.  Looks like it just uses an o-ring to seal it, I don't see a gasket as well like the regulator has.  The o-ring part number is the same as the one for the regulator, and it was common to a lot of the 80s and early 90s EFI Fords, so mayb a local parts store has a seal kit for the regulator that you could use.  For reference, the Ford hardware number on the o-ring is 87006-S96, looks like 5/16" I.D.

cheers
Ed
84 Mustang SVO
95 Jaguar XJR

gas leak

Reply #7
If you can't find one, let me know. I have a couple of fuel pressure regulators and will be glad to send a gasket to you for free.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

gas leak

Reply #8
It is a fuel pulsator or fuel damper. The rail has both the regulator and the damper.
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

gas leak

Reply #9
If you have a good parts store nearby, you might also be able to pick up an O ring that will work...but make sure it's fuel/oil/solvent resistant, or you'll soon have the leak again.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

gas leak

Reply #10
Tom, it looks like the gasket is the same shape as the regulator. I can get it from my parts store up the street. thankyou all for the help. I don't want to swap  my 351w cause this little motor won't die. 185,000, does'nt burn oil. when the windsor goes in it, it will have 2.73 gears out back. should be fun on the highway.