Skip to main content
Topic: 87 "coug" resto winter project (Read 85119 times) previous topic - next topic

87 "coug" resto winter project

Reply #420
help again on topic.
for the sake of looks, i want to omitt the factory transmission lines.
i have NPT to barb fittings that screw into the trans.
i have an external trans cooler.

i have purchased high pres transmission rubber line.
the objective is to route the transmission lines such that they hide all the way out to the cooler.

does anyone see any issue with using home run full length  rubber transmission lines?

Reply #421
I've seen it done on "hot rods" but not on a daily driver. I mean it should work but I would prefer the metal line.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #422
i have a perfect set of lines,, i have the old 3.8L lines as well with some damage.

the 3.8L lines are bent very different than 5.0L so i could scavange the old 3.8L ones , hammer them out to a shape i want then make short rubber transitions to the cooler.

we'll see.

what about my computer question ?

Reply #423
Quote from: jcassity;465376
should i get an AOD computer or use this stick shift computer on my car,, this will be an AOD car.

help pls?

or sell me a A9P style computer.
I also need a mass air sensor since apparently none of my MKViii Mass air sensors will work even though they were running 24# injectors.

we are running 24# injectors as well.

over a couple years ago a few people here said to get a mass air EEC ho, then snag injectors and mass air sensor from a mkviii, then you would be good.
so,, we snagged 3 sets of Mkviii injectors and mass air sensors and apparently that not the correct thing to do?

There's a couple things here:

First you can't use a Mark VIII MAF on an A9P/A9L without a tune. The Mark VIII MAF is not calibrated to 24lb injectors. To run 24lb injectors on a stock A9P/A9L you'll need an aftermarket calibrated MAF, like this: https://lmr.com/item/PMA-12579AE/1989-93-Mustang-50L-75Mm-Black-Pro-M-Mass-Air-Meter-For-24Lb

Secondly the A9P and A9L are grounded differently. If you run the A9L you'll have to move some wiring to avoid burning the ground in the computer. I'm not exactly sure what wires have to be moved where (I used an A9P for my MAF conversion, which is drop in) but someone here has to have done it. The A9L will work fine with the AOD, as the computer has no idea/doesn't care what transmission is in the car.

Edit these are for 5.0 Mustangs:
http://forums.corral.net/forums/general-mustang-tech/2306561-oxygen-sensor-harnesses.html
http://forums.corral.net/forums/general-mustang-tech/1094179-oxygen-sensor-harnesses-manual-auto-differences-year-differences-5.html

Check with people here who have done an A9L swap with the stock 86-88 5.0 Thunderbird/Cougar harness.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #424
Taking the radiator out of the trans cooler circuit will only make your trans and fluid last longer.  Seriously, when i switched to only an aux cooler, my trans temp dropped 75 degrees F.

Reply #425
after a long while of picking a spot to put this trans cooler, this is what i finally came up with.
something simple to access and replace with easy hardware as well.

Reply #426
That's a fin and tube cooler correct? If so I would run a much larger unit, especially if you're bypassing the radiator cooler.

Reply #427
Quote from: thunderjet302;465400
That's a fin and tube cooler correct? If so I would run a much larger unit, especially if you're bypassing the radiator cooler.
This.
My cooler is huge, 10x15.  A little less than half the size of my condenser.

Reply #428
Quote from: TheFoeYouKnow;465401
This.
My cooler is huge, 10x15.  A little less than half the size of my condenser.

I've been running a slightly bigger Hayden for 8 years: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hda-1015/overview/

I'll probably end up replacing it with a B&M stack plate cooler and bypassing the radiator cooler at some point.

Reply #430
mike i think i will get that one,,, you all are right, it is a tad small.

i like yours because its 3/4'' thick,, it can occupy the room in between a condensor and the radiator ,,, thanks!

Reply #431
reformed and re-routed my transmission lines in prep for a trans cooler , larger one i will order tomorrow

the objective mainly here was to eliminate the problem ford gave us all with how the two lines loop under the starter making it really hard to remove.

now the lines will route between the trans housing and the transmission dip stick.  these are 90deg fittings installed that now makes this idea of mine possible.

the lines are way way really far away from the headers as well,, another thing i had a problem with in the original design.

i decided to use metal lines up as far as possible then transition to high pres rubber lines up and into the cooler.

when the engine moves if it does,, the rubber lines will take up that flex.  the metal lines are simply floating on the engine along with the orginal line hanger.

these lines are from my old 3.8L so i have a full like new original 5.0L set ready for use as a safe back out plan incase chance one day wants to use the cooler inside the radiator.

pics ...........

sorry on quality, black surfaces dont like my camera phone

Reply #432
highly modified V6 fan shroud used for a v8 setup.
reason,,, its what i had lying around.

i sorta like how tight i was able to get the shroud up to the AC pulley.
On the pass side, i was required increase this clearance much further because access to the belt idler pulley is needed.

the bottom is removed on the fan shroud so it can be taken out easily for all the reasons we already know

to compensate, i will fab up a new piece of plastic that mounts directly to the bottom of the home made lower radiator core support,,, this will solve the issues of what i have done here to protect against debrishiznitting the fan from underneath.

i am becoming sorta frustrated with noticing all the little small things... for instance on this post.....

did you know that the fan shroud opening is not a circle?  its an elipse!!!!  or oval so to speak. 
on this fan shroud the round opening facing the engine is 19'' top to bottom.  Side to side the opening is 21''  !!!

Tpuppies away engine facing side of the fan shroud was kinda complicated ,, meaning that as you remove plastic , you dont just take off the same amount all the way around.  If you do your cut will not look "level".,, or straight.

one other thing i like about using this v6 shroud,,  its size physically balances out better with the engine size.

Reply #434
here is an original upper radiator hose,, nos with the sticker!!!