Skip to main content
Topic: I'm guessing the last of the SSP clutches got c00ched up..... (Read 6282 times) previous topic - next topic

I'm guessing the last of the SSP clutches got c00ched up.....

Reply #15
Probably be better to find a decent-looking used take-out from a salvage yard or CL and have it boiled out if it's clogged. Wow.
Check Rockauto at all? I would imagine everything they've got is probably yucky aftermarket units...
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #16
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vista-Pro-433385-Radiator-Direct-Fit-Copper-Brass-Ford-Mercury-V8-Each-/390981113862?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5b084a5806&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spectra-Premium-CU561-Radiator-Copper-Brass-Ford-302-351M-351W-400-460-Each-/191417972895?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c9166789f&vxp=mtr

First one is apparently .5" thicker, both 3 cores. From Summit racing. Vista Pro / Spectra. No idea what the workmanship of either of those suppliers is...but they ain't cheap all the same! The second one is most likely a 1970's application. Might fit a Fox engine bay anyway.

I bought an aftermarket rad from Rockauto a couple years ago for my Panther-body...I think it was $150 or so. Some rows near the bottom are experiencing paint flake-off, but the unit seems robust, hasn't sprung a leak, cools very well. It's either a 3 or 2 core can't actually remember but it's quite thick, almost twice the thickness of the stock Panther radiator which is frighteningly thin, about 1"...
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #17
I've been running this radiator from Summit in my Thunderbird for several years: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-380451/overview/year/1988/make/ford/model/mustang

With a 180* thermostat, Police Interceptor fan clutch, and a 9 blade fan the car runs 180*-185* all the time. Even when the A/C is on and the car is idling in traffic when it's 90*+ outside.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #18
Quote from: ZondaC12;442160
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vista-Pro-433385-Radiator-Direct-Fit-Copper-Brass-Ford-Mercury-V8-Each-/390981113862?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5b084a5806&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spectra-Premium-CU561-Radiator-Copper-Brass-Ford-302-351M-351W-400-460-Each-/191417972895?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c9166789f&vxp=mtr

First one is apparently .5" thicker, both 3 cores. From Summit racing. Vista Pro / Spectra. No idea what the workmanship of either of those suppliers is...but they ain't cheap all the same! The second one is most likely a 1970's application. Might fit a Fox engine bay anyway.

I bought an aftermarket rad from Rockauto a couple years ago for my Panther-body...I think it was $150 or so. Some rows near the bottom are experiencing paint flake-off, but the unit seems robust, hasn't sprung a leak, cools very well. It's either a 3 or 2 core can't actually remember but it's quite thick, almost twice the thickness of the stock Panther radiator which is frighteningly thin, about 1"...

Running them through the compatibility check on Ebay shows they will not fit a 1990 Mustang, 1990 LSC, or a 1987 Cougar/Thunderbird.

That Summit piece looks pretty nice.  Price isn't too bad for a 2 row aluminum as well..... I wonder if the high s price of copper is finally having an effect on products that contain copper or perhaps copper mining on the whole has had an interesting event occur....

This seems decent as well.....

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/FHP-20A93MU/79-93-Fluidyne-50L-Automatic-Mustang-Aluminum-Radiator
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #19
The summit radiator is nice. It's made in the USA (at least it was when I bought mine a little over two years ago) by Northern Radiator.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #20
Well, I installed the Imperial/Hayden Severe Duty fan clutch on the Mark VII.....

Works nicely.  I have to flush my system.  AGAIN.  Gonna use some of the Prestone Flush/Cleaner, drive it around a bit, and install a new mix of coolant.  After a full flush AND replacing everything today the new stuff is already turning a bit orange after 30 minutes of run time.

My AMP light came on too.  Voltage at the battery is 12.7 @ idle and 15.3 @ 2000 RPM.  Guessing the voltage regulator took a dump.
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #21
Quote from: V8Demon;442382
Well, I installed the Imperial/Hayden Severe Duty fan clutch on the Mark VII.....

Works nicely.  I have to flush my system.  AGAIN.  Gonna use some of the Prestone Flush/Cleaner, drive it around a bit, and install a new mix of coolant.  After a full flush AND replacing everything today the new stuff is already turning a bit orange after 30 minutes of run time.

My AMP light came on too.  Voltage at the battery is 12.7 @ idle and 15.3 @ 2000 RPM.  Guessing the voltage regulator took a dump.

If you replace the voltage regulator get a Motorcraft one. I replaced the one on my Mark when I bought it with a BWD part. It ped out in two years. Got a Motorcraft on it now.

Reply #22
That's right...I said I'd be a guinea pig and try that clutch. Never did. I think I just got a "heavy duty A/C" clutch when I replaced the non-thermal clutch in the black cat. It seems to do well in the summer heat, not going above 180-185 but I do NOT hear that fan like I do in the red one with the SSP clutch. Would prefer it stay closer to 160 even in traffic. Below 40-50 degrees ambient, the thing struggles to get past 150...

I will get one of those clutches though. Gimme some time I'll git 'er done. Definitely in the position to play test guy.

I was also supposed to check my ECM for you. Haven't forgotten ;) This weekend is turning out incredibly boring. I'll pull that kick panel tomorrow. I think it was pin 31? *Sigh*. Can't even remember what I was looking for. Have to go dig the thread up.

Reply #23
Why do you want the car to run 160*? My Thunderbird runs 180*-190* in the summer. Well within specs. 160* is a little on the cool side as far as engine wear goes.

Reply #24
The biggest factor is overheat protection, second being power. And I'll admit I've never really looked into *what* gains you get, if it's anything substantial. Obviously fuel consumption increases. But I've had enough overheating problems with vehicles in general, surely nothing but faulty cooling systems...and at the time in my paranoia I decided that the only safe course of action was to make everything I own run as cold as possible so I'd have some time in the event of a hose failure or something. Had that happen TWICE in the middle of the  winter with the 'Vic. Absolutely horrible, and like I want to go through and replace EVERY  hose? What happens in another 20 years? I hate rubber. Obviously corroded or something. But it would help if the system didn't build so much pressure. I've tried to fight that too. I don't fully understand why sometimes there's pressure and sometimes not, even in the same ambient conditions and loading/driving. 160 degree stat, I've seen the upper hose hard and soft while everything's clearly at no higher than 160-170 degrees.

Do our 302's use different bearing clearances than a 60s/70s 302? If so then I'd agree, wear would increase. I've always attributed it to the era of emission controls and CAFE requirements, as that was about the time you started seeing 180-195 degree stats come into usage.

Frankly, it's so much easier to mess with stuff in the engine bay while it's running at that temperature :hick:

Reply #25
I don't get the whole pressure/no pressure thing either. I've noticed if I start the Thunderbird or Mark VII and drive right away that they will pressurize. If I start them and let them idle for a minute and then start driving they won't pressurize. I do notice that when the system pressurizes not much coolant makes it to the overflow bottle. If the system doesn't pressurize the overflow level goes up about 1.5 inches. My theory is that the vent in the cap closes with rpm, causing the system to pressurize. If the engine idles the fluid just rises in the radiator and goes to the overflow instead of pressurizing the system. Then again sometimes the system pressurizes and sometimes not randomly despite the prior conditions. You would think a system that is sealed should always pressurize but sometimes it doesn't.

Reply #26
You will run pig rich anytime the computer sees less then 180degrees on a fuel injected car.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #27
I'll most likely toss 180 stats in both the cougars before winter's end. See how they do. I definitely don't want them staying out of closed loop.

Reply #28
I received a PM asking me about the current wheels I have on my car.  I actually went to the Summit website to provide links only to find that the 15X7's I have up front are no longer available.  Everybody's discontinuing 4 lug stuff.  I just ordered one this past July as I curbed one badly avoiding an accident with another vehicle.  A rim is cheaper than a front end.  Seems if a curb another one that bad (it actually threw the wheel out of balance due to the amount of aluminum that sed off) I may have to switch to a set of Drag Lites (overplayed) or throw in the towel and do a 5 lug conversion. 

I like my 15's and particularly these rims.  That and all my brake/suspension hardware has hardly any mileage on it since I upgraded. 

Or I could just really shell out for a set of custom fit Volk TE37's.  I aint got 3 grand to blow on wheels though.....

Reply #29
If I ever get rid of the snowflakes I would go with these wheels: http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/LRS-1007RSL/1979-93-Mustang-Silver-Lh-93-Cobra-Wheel-17X85 Not overdone and I think they would fit a Fox Thunderbird/Cougar very nicely.