Skip to main content
Topic: New to the board...with pictures! (Read 5008 times) previous topic - next topic

New to the board...with pictures!

I recently helped my daughter pick her first car...A 1986 Cougar.  This car is in remarkable condition, with some paint fade and 3 cigarette burns being the worst part.  It has 61,800 miles on it, and is all original.  We bought it from the original owner that kept it in the garage for the most part, and never drove it in the snow...and that can be seen in the fact that it is rust free, save for a small scratch on the upper part of the driver's side rear fender.  It is powered by the 3.8L V6.  I didn't want her to have a larger engine due to fuel economy.  She picked this up for less than $2000, which, considering the condition, I think was a great deal.

I'm quite familiar with this body style, as I also own a 1992 Lincoln MK VII, and have owned a 1985 and 1988 'Birds in the past.

Without further delay, here are the promised pictures...

Reply #1
Welcome!
1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi
2003 Chevy Suburban Z71 - Daily driver
2015 Chevy Volt - Wife's daily driver

Reply #3
It's the George D. Stuart Bridge.  It connects the boroughs of Tarentum and New Kensington, PA.  You should see the view I have of it from my back porch!  The kids and I have caught a few nice catfish under it at the marina.

As for the compliment and welcomes, thanks.  This Cougar is really nice.  My wife and I have told her that we reserve first refusals whenever she decides to sell it.  We picked it up on Monday, and she was offered $3k for it yesterday by a neighbor.  It's a head turner, as all Fox-bodies seem to be.

She's very happy with it...A 28 year old car with under 62k original miles that is in really good shape.  I've already threatened her boyfriend with certain death if he even thinks of doing anything to it without my approval.

BTW...Here's a pic of my MK VII.  It's almost as shagy as the Cougar is. 

Reply #4
I like the SL!

Reply #5
Thanks...1987 560SL.  Since moving here, it's been collecting dust in a storage unit.  We'll pull it out every so often, put about 20 miles on it, and put it back away.  I don't have a garage here at the house for it, which is upsetting.  I'm waiting for the market to become stronger for it before I sell it.

Reply #6
Welcome :)

I also have a Mark VII LSC. A 1991.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #7
Welcome, hope you stay a while

Go Fast the first time.  The tickets the same.
86 Thunderbird 5.0.  All original good weather driver. Tbird Reg #53035
86 Thunderbird TC.  All original good weather driver.  Tbird Reg # 58555
87 Thunderbird TC.  All original good weather daily driver.  Tbird Reg # 64647

Reply #8
Quote from: thunderjet302;437249
Welcome :)

I also have a Mark VII LSC. A 1991.

Mine is a Bill Blass edition with the pillow top seating and all electronic dash, which I despise.  Even the fuel gauge is electronic, and there was a learning curve to reading it.  But, next to my Tahoe, I have never had a more comfortable ride for long distances.  When we lived in Utah, which is where that picture was taken, I'd drive to Ohio and back once a month so I could see my kids...1700 miles once way, non-stop except for gas and bathroom breaks...for 25 hours solid.  The car now has over 280K on the clock still runs like it's new.  Very comfortable ride.

Quote from: My10-80;437250
Welcome, hope you stay a while
I plan on it.  I'll be supervising all of the cleaning work on the engine, and will be posting update photos in the engine pic thread.  Today was filled with interior detailing.  Speaker covers were removed and cleaned, toothpicks and toothbrushes were used to clean crevices and such.  I'm teaching my daughter how to clean and care for her purchase, so that it's still like new in the years ahead.  She may have bought it cheap, but nobody can afford to throw money away in today's world. 

My son has already told her that he'd like to buy it from her if she ever sells it.  He doesn't know it yet, but he'll have to save his money between now and then, because this car will likely be a show car before my daughter's done with it.

Reply #9
That's a nice car. Welcome.
home ported E7's, HO intake, 93 Tbird cam, 65mm tb, Shorties, dynomax lers, TC 3.73 rear, Mach 1 springs, Bauman shiftkit, epoxy mod, SD, 3G alt, black magic fan

Reply #10
Thanks!

Reply #11
Mmmmm........vent windows.  :)

Welcome aboard!
1985 Mercury Cougar XR-7 - 5-speed 
One of 1,246 built

Reply #12
Welcome aboard and Thanks for sharing your photos friend. :cougarsmily:

Reply #13
While my wife and daughter are finishing up the interior detailing, I wanted another look at the trunk.  It looks as if it's brand new.  The tire iron was never used, nor was the jack.  The spare still has the cover on it, and it appears to be the original donut spare.  It still has the factory stenciling on the tread.

I'll post more pictures as I remember to take them.

I decided that the headlights will need replaced.  The high beams have condensation in the bulbs.  We'll get all four for them replaced at the same time, and keep the old ones as emergency spares, since the still work.  We're also going to take it to a wishy-washy (do it your self car wash) and spray the engine compartment out.  There's no oil or other signs of leakage, just dust and spray from the road.  I hate a dirty engine...I like them clean enough to eat off of.

When we went to look at it, I checked the fluids and they were all clean.  I swear, other than the paint fade on the top, this car is as like new as you can get. 

Nest week, when the weather is nicer, I'll have my son and my daughter's boyfriend attack the body with a buffer and try to take care of the fade.  I'm not sure how much good it will do, but we'll give it a shot.

BTW...she name the car Loraine.  I had to laugh, because that's where the car was made, and she didn't know that prior to naming it.  She said the name came to her as she was driving home from work last night.

Reply #14
Well, upon further inspection, the jack looks like it was used once...on a concrete floor.  But, it's still very clean!